The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Romeo Engine Plant closing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bummer

Still better than taking government money, that lets the feds into your boardroom, in any case, it doesn't look like anyone will lose their jobs over it via buyouts or local transfers. I'm thinking everything will be Windsors from now on, which were different from the Romeos, even though they were supposed to be modular, there were notable exceptions..8 bolt cranks, different size accessory drive fasteners..etc

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
The article posted by the OP was written in October of 2019. That makes it a bit dated.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
From the 2 Jan 2023 article.

"Though the Niche Line fell quiet and many of its builders moved on to retirement or jobs at other plants, days later its modern counterpart fired up at the Dearborn Assembly Plant, and the Romeo equipment was cleared out and much of it moved to DAP to back up the new machinery. There, a next-gen Niche Line came to life to construct the 700-horsepower, 5.2-liter Carnivore engine that powers the vaunted Ford F-150 Raptor R pickup. This engine is essentially an evolution of the Predator with a unique supercharger assembly."

Now being built at the Dearborn Plant.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
The article posted by the OP was written in October of 2019. That makes it a bit dated.
The original article was from 2019 but the most recent article I posted was from last week and documents a visit to the facility in October 2022.

So is that the end of this version of the GT500?
End of the line for the S550 based GT500. The initial versions of the S650 don't include a GT500 but one never knows what the future may bring.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
With the two Plants around 43 miles apart, many workers will just drive North instead of South. I imagine since this was noted almost 4 years ago , retirements, and job movement, meant this was likely about as seamless as a change in manufacturing can get. Never easy, but as noted, much different than the Lordstown closing.

Yeah and all the electric stuff will be made overseas... so there's that

And this...

Largest US Grid Saw Nearly 25% Of Power Generation Fail During Christmas Cold Blast​

picture-5.jpg
BY TYLER DURDEN
WEDNESDAY, JAN 11, 2023 - 08:00 PM
PJM Interconnection, a regional power grid that stretches from Illinois to New Jersey, declared an emergency during Christmas and was on the brink of implementing rolling blackouts for millions of customers due to a partial power-generation fleet shutdown.
The regional power grid operator has over 65 million customers in 13 states and the District of Columbia. It published its first analysis explaining the grid strain when temperatures dove well below freezing due to 23% of its power-generation fleet shuttering on Dec. 24.
About 70% of the 46 gigawatts of outages were due to NatGas-fired power generation going offline, which left the grid operator in dire straits as temperatures continued to plunge and electricity demand soared as customers turned up their thermostats.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
That's a huge outage, could have been really really ugly.
I have 3, count 'em, 3, standby generators, and a big plug outside beside the power meter to connect my gennies to the house panel, just have to start the genset and flip a transfer switch inside. Plus another 7.5 Kw gennie in my motorcoach that I could use if all those 3 failed. 55 gallons of gas in the RV, and a bunch of 5 gallon jugs that I rotate through the car to keep fresh.
I like to be independent and able to survive if/when the big one hits. Goes for owning guns, too. I know my left wing government hates me and wants to take away my guns, but that ain't happening. I have zero faith in government to actually be able to support the citizenry in the event of a major crisis. I prefer to look after myself rather than count on government to screw it up.

Yep, I have 3 gens also. In Florida, the statewide emergency plan clearly states that you could be on your own for up to 96 hours after a hurricane. During Irma, we were without power for a week. We found an electrical truck and asked why so long. He stated that they couldn't access part of the right of ways because of debris. We had that fixed in about 3 hours, between neighbors.

TMO Supporting Vendors