The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 tow hook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cincinnati, OH
Over the winter I installed the ZL1 Addons S197 front tow hook on my 2011. I could not find another product currently available. This was a relatively straightforward install, and does require pulling the front bumper.

85253E7D-7253-4497-8B31-EAF4311A4C70.JPG

Over the winter I installed the ZL1 Addons S197 front tow hook on my 2011. I could not find another product currently available. This was a relatively straightforward install, and does require pulling the front bumper.

View attachment 86370
I considered this. How did installation go, any pics, any lessons learned?

When going through the website looking for installation instructions, there weren’t any. ZL responded to my inquiry with handwritten instructions. So I sidelined that idea.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cincinnati, OH
I considered this. How did installation go, any pics, any lessons learned?

When going through the website looking for installation instructions, there weren’t any. ZL responded to my inquiry with handwritten instructions. So I sidelined that idea.
Between a YouTube video regarding bumper removal and the included instructions, I had no issues. I had never pulled a bumper prior to this, and I think this entire project takes maybe 30-45 minutes? I combined it with the installation of brake cooling ducts, since the front bumper was off, so it took me longer to complete both projects simultaneously.

Between a YouTube video regarding bumper removal and the included instructions, I had no issues. I had never pulled a bumper prior to this, and I think this entire project takes maybe 30-45 minutes? I combined it with the installation of brake cooling ducts, since the front bumper was off, so it took me longer to complete both projects simultaneously.
Ok thanks. I will give ZL1 a chance

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
For a track only car it’s pretty hard to beat the Ford Performance tubular crash bar on the front with the integrated tow hook. Watson Racing makes a matching bar for the rear. My car had the Ford Performance weld on hooks when I bought it, which look to be discontinued now. Not the least expensive options, but really are the best options for the S197.

Front crash bar - M-17757-MB and separate tow loop M-17954-A

https://shop.watsonracing.com/2005-14-MUSTANG-ROAD-RACE-TUBULAR-REAR-BUMPER-p/wr-rrrearbumper.htm

I have a Blowfish S197 tow hook kit I am willing to sell.
For a track only car it’s pretty hard to beat the Ford Performance tubular crash bar on the front with the integrated tow hook. Watson Racing makes a matching bar for the rear. My car had the Ford Performance weld on hooks when I bought it, which look to be discontinued now. Not the least expensive options, but really are the best options for the S197.

Front crash bar - M-17757-MB and separate tow loop M-17954-A

https://shop.watsonracing.com/2005-14-MUSTANG-ROAD-RACE-TUBULAR-REAR-BUMPER-p/wr-rrrearbumper.htm
I considered this and cutting the bumper cover for the tow hook isn’t an issue (it’s a little raggety from time spent parking in Chicago). The factory impact beam is welded (I think) to the end flanges of the rails. Cutting it off probably defeats the front AB sensors and I would like to keep that system operable for street use.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin

View attachment 86370
How hard was it to pull the bumper?

My worry is I have the boss extended lip and its all bolted up.

How hard was it to pull the bumper?

My worry is I have the boss extended lip and its all bolted up.
I pulled the bumper cover from my 13 boss twice and it isn’t difficult but there are lots of fasteners. As I recall the splitter (common lower trim shared on both Boss models) is removed before bumper cover.

I have the ZL-1. Bumper removal and hook install was not bad. I just followed a bumper removal vid that I found and the install instructions. The only thing off was the bolt that holds the ring would not end up parallel with the ground when tightened - it's the threads either a tad too long or short - can't remember. I fixed that with a nut a blue lock tite - held straight and tightened the nut from the back.
KIMG4185.JPG
KIMG4186.JPG

ZL1 addon ordered today!
+1 I also ordered ZL1 Addon today.
Here's the nut I was talking about to get the ring parallel with the ground. Sorry, I don't know the size and thread. You could probably just take the shaft to Home Depot or Lowe's and test a couple till you get the correct size. Don't forget the blue loctite.
20230526_055515.jpg20230526_055504.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors