The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 road race ride height?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
Ok so a little help? 2018 mustang gt road race car new build. trying to get on track this coming weekend to shake it down. Stuck on ride heights as what to set it at. First mustang ive build and run so kinda clueless on this. Mcs coilovers f/r and using 25mm front spacers to clear the struts with 18x10 rim and 295 hoosier r7 tire. at 5" (measure from frame inside the pinch weld - nasa min req and scca is even lower) there is no way the tire will not hit the fender lip (barely but will hit). Any proven suggestions so I can continue with the setup and finish? Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Ok so a little help? 2018 mustang gt road race car new build. trying to get on track this coming weekend to shake it down. Stuck on ride heights as what to set it at. First mustang ive build and run so kinda clueless on this. Mcs coilovers f/r and using 25mm front spacers to clear the struts with 18x10 rim and 295 hoosier r7 tire. at 5" (measure from frame inside the pinch weld - nasa min req and scca is even lower) there is no way the tire will not hit the fender lip (barely but will hit). Any proven suggestions so I can continue with the setup and finish? Thanks!
I believe the starting point is 24” bottom of wheel to fender up front and 24.25-24.5” in the rear. This is with 18” wheel.

found this out in a few posts here and I just asked around yesterday myself lol

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
I have been measuring from the bottom of the chassis (inside and just above the pinch weld) with the creative racing laser height measure things (some of the best $1500 ive spent on chassis equipment and integrates to my scales as well - so much so I became a dealer for them) and settled on 6" ride height there and looks ok. I will have to measure from wheel to fender to see what that is. from what im reading I'll need like 1/4" of rake front to rear. opposed to go testing this weekend and if can get the rest together will see how it shakes out (or shakes apart lol). I will update tomorrow on the wheel to fender measurement.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
seems like you are at a good starting point. Could maybe go a wee bit lower to 24" but after corner balance and springs settling the height could change

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
yea its a new build so hoping to finish up this week and get on track on sat/sun to shake it down. ill give it a 1/4" of rake and leave it there for its 1st outing to see what settles/rubs/breaks/etc.

I have no idea on the S550, the S197 were run so high that you could pretty much roll a trash can under it. So much so, that they never etched ride height because it was so obvious.

TMO Supporting Vendors