The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stock k member adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2103 Boss. I’m the second owner, no known accident history although the previous owner did hit a curb with the driver side front. I just installed T springs, Koni Yellows, and Vorshlag camber plates. Alignment guy has the driver’s side plate maxed to get -2.0 camber, passenger side still has enough adjustment to get it close to -3.0. Per Vorshlag’s suggestion. I tried to reposition the driver’s side strut to knuckle by loosening the bolts and pushing inward, but there is almost no movement there. I found an old alignment sheet from the previous owner, with stock suspension, the drivers side camber was -.9 while the passenger side was -1.7.

So, how much actual adjustment is there side to side with the stock k member? One Ford tech told me that there is almost nothing.
Thanks,
Ron

Check the ball joints, and lower control arms, maybe take a look at the point where the lower control arm attaches, seems like something has a bit of a wang to it. Not really uncommon, so don't panic. I have to ask, did you use a jig to cut out the strut tower? because you will prolly need to in order to get 3 or more degrees of camber, and BTW, you want all the caster you can get as long as it's the same side to side.

Thanks, I will check over the ball joints and control arms. I’m not gonna cut the openings at this point, the car is more of a street car than track.

I can’t find anything that that appears bent, or moved. The lip on the k member does appear to be favoring the passenger side. It all looks like it’s never been apart.

passenger side
IMG_7955.jpeg

driver side
IMG_7957.jpeg

IMG_7950.jpegIMG_7949.jpegIMG_7948.jpegIMG_7947.jpeg

I can’t find anything that that appears bent, or moved. The lip on the k member does appear to be favoring the passenger side. It all looks like it’s never been apart.

passenger side
View attachment 90209

driver side
View attachment 90211

View attachment 90213View attachment 90214View attachment 90215View attachment 90216
You know who could help you with this, there is a guy on here from.either Oz or New Zealand who totally restored one of these that was bought wrecked. I don't remember his board name, but I would search him out.

Post a photo of your alignment sheet. Maybe someone can look at and help diagnose better. I must have gotten really lucky. I have seen many people having to cut towers for 3 camber. I'm at 3 with no cutting - vorshlags, ford 1" drop racing springs and koni orange. If someone really knows alignment I will gladly pull a wheel and take some pictures to help out.

IMG_7937.jpeg I’m not necessarily looking for -3. The problem I have right now is to get to -2, the driver side plate is maxed, while the passenger side has plenty of adjustment left on it. The alignment guy I went to has a real old school set up, lights, no computer. I’ve used him plenty of times in the past with other modified Mustangs with good results.

This is the last computerized alignment sheet with stock suspension

No camber bolts, car was all stock unmolested. I’m starting to think the car was assembled slightly out of whack, but within factory spec.

Per Vorshlag’s suggestion. I tried to reposition the driver’s side strut to knuckle by loosening the bolts and pushing inward, but there is almost no movement there.
This is the part that caught my attention. Maybe others can confirm but in my experience there is usually some movement at that strut to knucke connection. This is what had me wondering if someone had installed camber bolts.

Update, I went back in and loosened the strut to knuckle bolts, I was able to find some adjustment there. Brought the car to a different shop, tech said maybe the k member is a little off, but not enough to mess with it. New alignment got -2.4 camber both sides.
I’m happy with that for now

IMG_7977.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors