The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 The Unicorn Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
That sucks man, at least you know the problem now. I'd much rather have that than not being able to figure out what's wrong.

Right? I just want to learn!

The best laid plans have often been derailed by unforeseen obstacles.........keep that chin up!!!!......your time to shine will be here soon.......;)

Yes sir! I’ve taken some knocks with this car and it’ll take a lot more than this to discourage me.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Nice looking car.
The item The Unicorn has been updated:

Switching from Volvo electric power steering to the KRC Power Steering setup.
I was contemplating switching to the Volvo electric power steering. Thanks for testing that for us :p

I'm still thinking the electric steering column could work.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Nice looking car.

I was contemplating switching to the Volvo electric power steering. Thanks for testing that for us :p

I'm still thinking the electric steering column could work.

Happy to help :cool: Once someone markets a motor controller, the Volvo setup will be worth it but until then F that.

Also, I will report that I’ve seemingly fixed the leak but haven’t had time to confirm.

5945EDF2-7DA2-49D1-A91A-D92D5BA00D68.jpeg

2BBE1C76-E0C7-42A4-A861-EE1F24AA8A5A.jpeg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
All is well..

36C4639E-FE4F-42F6-9769-1D6B69767C3C.jpeg

The alignment needs a tweak, though. Also, found out the dipstick tube wasn’t fully seated and I laid a smoke screen on the test drive. 😅

1E3C28FE-418C-4170-BFDE-F51C9734BBF2.jpeg

I need to bleed the PS system but she’s ready action. I have autocross 27-March plus I’ve signed up for the NASA weekend 2/3 April and SCCA TNIA 7-April.

C6CFBC2D-A4DB-4171-BA89-7F7014DEC387.jpeg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Missed autocross on 27-March due to issues with bleeding the PS system after discovering a leak. If you notice, the uppermost hose is at a tortured angle and the ferrule cut into the PTFE hose.
Dammit….

I’ve since remedied the situation and I’ll be on track this weekend but keeping a close eye on things.

1695B2D7-6E9D-4021-A0BF-559CBD5AFCBB.jpeg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
You're using AN lines? I've seen so few of those setups work over the years that I've never even tried. It's OEM stuff for me with one hose from the local hydraulic shop.

Yes sir. My car started out as a pushrod car and I build my hydroboost from scratch.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
After lengthy rain/lightning delays, we went out for a parade lap/no helmet session. They gave us the option to allow the instructor to drive 2 laps or so to show you the line in your car.

On the third lap, exiting turn 16 into the straight, the car got a little loose on throttle, so he hit the clutch and slammed on the brakes. The rears locked and I don’t need to tell you the rest. Hit the inside wall on the straight at an agonizingly slow speed. Finally got the ****** back on track and drove another lap and then pitted to inspect damages.

E99D993F-D202-4DCB-BE86-D958A224B2AF.jpeg

It’s mainly cosmetic stuff and one impact absorber. When we tapped the wall it spun the car around away from the wall, luckily, sparing the rear of the car.

CAA279C8-3D3D-42DF-89FD-1CAC9B4E891E.jpeg

B0B15175-A6F5-4B3C-A722-82F463D12096.jpeg

E100EEFE-7031-48FF-BA3B-580DB4B0AC41.jpeg

I have spare parts and will be back at it for the next event. The instructor wants to pay for parts and NASA is going to comp the entry fees for the next two events. Life goes on.

455A7ABD-0BC7-4675-B3A7-12786C63C981.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Instructor wrecked my car.

View attachment 74144
I read about this in an HDPE Instructor group I follow. Sorry for your experience. There’s a lot that organizations need to look at to keep this type of incident from happening.
One thing I’m certain about - whether as a student or an instructor, I’ll not be in a car on the track during any session without my helmet. Ever.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Damn, at least if someone else is going to wreck your car that has to be best case scenario.

What type of car did the instructor have? Just out of curiosity.

I’m not sure what the current ride is but he’s a self-described BMW snob. He’s waiting on his 2022 M3 Competition X-Drive to deliver. I told him all of those driver aids numbed his senses and I paid for it.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
I read about this in an HDPE Instructor group I follow. Sorry for your experience. There’s a lot that organizations need to look at to keep this type of incident from happening.
One thing I’m certain about - whether as a student or an instructor, I’ll not be in a car on the track during any session without my helmet. Ever.

Yeah, my buddy Richard posted that. I feel it’s a teachable moment for others and a lesson hard learned by me. NO ONE will ever drive my car on track again. I agree about the helmet and don’t think I’ll go without again.

TMO Supporting Vendors