The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tires… yes again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
I fear I am started to sound like a broken record at this point. I’m wondering what folks recommend for a SINGLE set of tires that will last atleast this season as a steet and track tire and possibly even a few events next season if I can get away with it
Ideally “budget friendly”

next season I will have worked for Michelin for 1 year and will be able to receive my complimentary set of tires which will be my dedicated street tires and will be able to spend more on track tires

I have been looking into the
Falken rt660
Falken rt615k
Indy fire hawk
Extreme contact sport 02

budget friendly being around $1000-1200 USD plus install

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Wild Wonderful WV
I bought Hankook RS4s for my Trak Pak and have 3 days at VIR, 2 at Rockingham, 1 at Waterford Hills and 1 at Gingerman. I dont feel like they are quite as fast as the RE71s that I previously ran, but I think they are way more consistent and have been great in the rain on the way to track. (I wont track the Roush in the rain.)

I couldnt be happier with my RS4s.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
I bought Hankook RS4s for my Trak Pak and have 3 days at VIR, 2 at Rockingham, 1 at Waterford Hills and 1 at Gingerman. I dont feel like they are quite as fast as the RE71s that I previously ran, but I think they are way more consistent and have been great in the rain on the way to track. (I wont track the Roush in the rain.)

I couldnt be happier with my RS4s.
Did you also street drive the tires? My issue is that I also have to drive this car to work since it’s my only vehicle

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Of the tires you list, I'd go with the Conti EC Sport 02,. GRM just did a tire test with them (albeit with their standard street/track ND Miata) and they really liked them. Initial turn-in is very crisp with good feel, and road noise is "zero." On track, break-away at the limit was gentle and progressive with good audible feedback. The taller tread depth compared to typical 200TW tires makes it a great rain tire, but does cause a bit of initial heat soak from tread squirm that stabilizes quickly - the first lap was 1:27.0, but laps 2-4 were all 1:27.5 with lap 5 being 1:27.6. As the tire wears, that tread squirm and fall-off should reduce. Compared to the 200TW Yoko AD09 tested the same day, the 340 TW ECS was actually about 1/2 second quicker. The 09 was also much edgier at the limit.

Looking back an issue, there was a test of the Yoko AD09 and 052 (one of the top cone-killer tires) on a much colder day. The 09 performed about the same; the 052 lapped in the low 1:26s. The 052 didn't fall off much only because of the cold temps. The driving impression of the 052 called it "numb" for steering input feedback.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Of the tires you list, I'd go with the Conti EC Sport 02,. GRM just did a tire test with them (albeit with their standard street/track ND Miata) and they really liked them. Initial turn-in is very crisp with good feel, and road noise is "zero." On track, break-away at the limit was gentle and progressive with good audible feedback. The taller tread depth compared to typical 200TW tires makes it a great rain tire, but does cause a bit of initial heat soak from tread squirm that stabilizes quickly - the first lap was 1:27.0, but laps 2-4 were all 1:27.5 with lap 5 being 1:27.6. As the tire wears, that tread squirm and fall-off should reduce. Compared to the 200TW Yoko AD09 tested the same day, the 340 TW ECS was actually about 1/2 second quicker. The 09 was also much edgier at the limit.

Looking back an issue, there was a test of the Yoko AD09 and 052 (one of the top cone-killer tires) on a much colder day. The 09 performed about the same; the 052 lapped in the low 1:26s. The 052 didn't fall off much only because of the cold temps. The driving impression of the 052 called it "numb" for steering input feedback.
I’ve heard good things about both of these as a track and autoX tire but I need to be sure that they will also be a good street tire as I daily the car. Any input on that

I agree tho I am leaning toward the ECS02

TMO Supporting Vendors