The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key warranty time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbj5259 said:
I'm not doubting what you are saying...Perhaps Ford customer service and Ford Racing need to get on the same page because this was released to members over at the mustangsource who had the same debate...straight from Ford:

Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford

What you wrote above is TOTALLY correct in regards to the standard warranty!

However I am talking to the poster who asked about Ford's Extended Service Plan for which you are not correct and have a financial stake in. Again, what you posted as far as the MLW is correct, and really pretty liberal given what some are doing with their cars, so props to Ford for doing it and props to you for understanding it.

That said ESP is different. I bought my car with ESP and then had Track Key installed and was told no problems. After asking for written verification of of that Ford ESP relented and gave me my money back. When MustangGirl tried to file a warranty claim they told her a Boss with Track Key wasn't covered.

In fact if you look at the contract the Ford ESP team told me, and you can see it yourself, it specifically states, that a car with Ford Racing Parts IS NOT covered.

Section 7: WHAT IS NOT COVERED
"Repairs to any engine, transmission, and final drive components for damages caused by...enhancing performance power train components including but not limited to Ford racing parts or accessories" In other words the major areas you need coverage for are NOT covered.

Make your own judgement! If an owner has $1700+ to give to a dealer on "hope" go for it...otherwise get it in writing and if they won't run.

On the other hand...if you can get that written verification I have $1700 for you!

I purchased my Boss 302 (2013) in December 2012 from a dealership in MI. At the time of purchase the finance manager sold me the ESP (100k mile 72 month) and specifically stated the track key add on would NOT void the ESP.

When I took the car to the local dealership to program the track key I asked the same question. A few days later of investigating they told me the following:

"If something goes wrong with the car and Ford can prove it happened during track key use - we can not warranty the repair. Otherwise, warranty is valid as per the ESP. "

I really am torn as to if I try and get a refund or roll the dice and hope/pray that if something happens the ESP covers it. If anyone else gets further clarification - I am anxiously looking forward to hearing about it.

Any idea if/when my ability to get a refund expires?

Thanks!

jneuman said:
I purchased my Boss 302 (2013) in December 2012 from a dealership in MI. At the time of purchase the finance manager sold me the ESP (100k mile 72 month) and specifically stated the track key add on would NOT void the ESP.

When I took the car to the local dealership to program the track key I asked the same question. A few days later of investigating they told me the following:

"If something goes wrong with the car and Ford can prove it happened during track key use - we can not warranty the repair. Otherwise, warranty is valid as per the ESP. "

I really am torn as to if I try and get a refund or roll the dice and hope/pray that if something happens the ESP covers it. If anyone else gets further clarification - I am anxiously looking forward to hearing about it.

Any idea if/when my ability to get a refund expires?

Thanks!

Don't believe the dealer. Call Ford ESP at the number above.

If you get a different answer than I got let us know but remember Ford and especially the Dealer WANT to sell you ESP. They are betting you have no issues and they make an extra $1700. They told me specifically that my ESP contract ended the day I had the Track Key installed. This wasn't in one phone call either this was over a month of back and forth trying to find out specifically what or was not covered for my $1700. It was then that ESP told me the above and that they would refund my $$$$.

Sorry don't mean to hard on this but that's a lot of money and there is much confusion about this and I would love nothing more than to get a written document form Ford telling me I can have ESP and this is how the coverage with Track Key will work. I was told "no" and here's your money back. My dealer didn't want to give back the $$$$ so they called and were told the same thing.

Again if someone else is able to get something else GREAT! But I would hate to have anyone here 3-4 years down the road have an issue only to be told "no" and all you have is "some salesman told me it was ok".

Good luck!

JeffIsHereToo said:
Don't believe the dealer. Call Ford ESP at the number above.

If you get a different answer than I got let us know but remember Ford and especially the Dealer WANT to sell you ESP. They are betting you have no issues and they make an extra $1700. They told me specifically that my ESP contract ended the day I had the Track Key installed. This wasn't in one phone call either this was over a month of back and forth trying to find out specifically what or was not covered for my $1700. It was then that ESP told me the above and that they would refund my $$$$.

Sorry don't mean to hard on this but that's a lot of money and there is much confusion about this and I would love nothing more than to get a written document form Ford telling me I can have ESP and this is how the coverage with Track Key will work. I was told "no" and here's your money back. My dealer didn't want to give back the $$$$ so they called and were told the same thing.

Again if someone else is able to get something else GREAT! But I would hate to have anyone here 3-4 years down the road have an issue only to be told "no" and all you have is "some salesman told me it was ok".

Good luck!

I could understand if the repair was as s direct result of trackey use, but if my headliner starts to sag and tear in 4 years, what does that have to do with trackey use?

cbj5259 said:
I could understand if the repair was as s direct result of trackey use, but if my headliner starts to sag and tear in 4 years, what does that have to do with trackey use?
Engine braking while using the Trackey caused the added stress :)

I just received this response from Ford:

Hi Christian,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is Marjorie and I'm with the Ford Customer Service Department. I received your email regarding the Trackey Warranty on your 2013 Ford Mustang GT.

I appreciate the time you have taken to write us.

I have researched your inquiry and found that the 2012 and 2013 Mustang Boss 302 TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern. Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Ford Extended Service Plan.

For more information, please visit our website at:

http://www.trackey.ford.com/trackey/

Furthermore, you may contact the Extended Service Plan (ESP) Administration regarding your Premium Care ESP with Roadside Assistance. You may reach them at:

Phone:
1-800-521-4144

Once again, thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company and have a good day!

Marjorie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (Saturday). Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Should you need it in the future, your case number is CAS-2050229-K6X8X7.

For online support visit us at: www.owner.ford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Ford Confidentiality:
--------------------
For security reasons, please do not submit any sensitive personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, DOB, etc. Thank you.

jec246

Thanks for posting! Looks like the ESP is good to go according to Ford, but are they still referring you to ESP for further clarification? At least that's what I'm gathering from this.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
All the posts and answers are so damn confusing! It seems to me,that the ESP I purchased covers the Trak Key for 3 years.But then, thats it? Then the remainder of the warranty is good for the 7 years that remain?

cbj5259 said:
I just received this response from Ford:

Hi Christian,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is Marjorie and I'm with the Ford Customer Service Department. I received your email regarding the Trackey Warranty on your 2013 Ford Mustang GT.

I appreciate the time you have taken to write us.

I have researched your inquiry and found that the 2012 and 2013 Mustang Boss 302 TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern. Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Ford Extended Service Plan.

For more information, please visit our website at:

http://www.trackey.ford.com/trackey/

Furthermore, you may contact the Extended Service Plan (ESP) Administration regarding your Premium Care ESP with Roadside Assistance. You may reach them at:

Phone:
1-800-521-4144

Once again, thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company and have a good day!

Marjorie
Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (Saturday). Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Should you need it in the future, your case number is CAS-2050229-K6X8X7.

For online support visit us at: www.owner.ford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Ford Confidentiality:
--------------------
For security reasons, please do not submit any sensitive personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, DOB, etc. Thank you.

And? That means NOTHING that we don't already know! We all understand the basic warranty with the Track Key. That's been around and explained since 2012. What they didn't say was what effect the Track Key had on the ESP contract and LIKE ME told you to contact the ESP team directly.

We await their response.

fbbob96 said:
All the posts and answers are so damn confusing! It seems to me,that the ESP I purchased covers the Trak Key for 3 years.But then, thats it? Then the remainder of the warranty is good for the 7 years that remain?

I give up! Seriously!

Waste you money!

JeffIsHereToo said:
And? That means NOTHING that we don't already know! We all understand the basic warranty with the Track Key. That's been around and explained since 2012. What they didn't say was what effect the Track Key had on the ESP contract and LIKE ME told you to contact the ESP team directly.

We await their response.

I contacted ESP as you suggested and they told me to contact these people. Apparently its just one big continuous circle. I don't want to waste my money any more than the next person, but all we get are semi-ambiguous answers. If you got a direct answer from ESP, good for you...I did not. Frankly, I don't know who to believe or trust. ESP team was not helpful and referred me to customer service, which is why I received this email. The bottom line is that we really don't know what will happen until the warranty is tested. That's not a good business practice in my book.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Track key warranty time

JeffIsHereToo said:

We await their response.
Seriously? You can't understand with as much detail as that email gives?
I understand it perfectly..

unrealford said:
Seriously? You can't understand with as much detail as that email gives?
I understand it perfectly..

I can see where its a little ambiguous, but the consensus seems to be that ESP will be negated only if the actual problem caused by trackey. I'm guessing he wants to have the ESP cover repairs that are directly associated with trackey use. If you are using track key and pounding your car and throw a rod, its not going to cover you. There are a multitude of other repairs that ESP will cover it sounds like.

From my expereince, Ford Dealers are the some of the worst when it comes to product knowledge and service after the sale. I know there are some good dealers out there but they are very few and far between. My original dealer refused to work on my car after I had misfire codes and told them that they occurred at a Track event. Despite being very clear that it was not a racing event, their District Sales Manager (DSM I think - also a Ford employee, not a dealer employee) told the service manager that my entire warranty was void and Ford would not repay them for any future work they did because I had the car on the track. It's obviously not true, but goes to show how uniformed some dealers (too many IMO) and upper level Ford employees can be.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

KBBOSS1086 said:
From my expereince, Ford Dealers are the some of the worst when it comes to product knowledge and service after the sale. I know there are some good dealers out there but they are very few and far between. My original dealer refused to work on my car after I had misfire codes and told them that they occurred at a Track event. Despite being very clear that it was not a racing event, their District Sales Manager (DSM I think - also a Ford employee, not a dealer employee) told the service manager that my entire warranty was void and Ford would not repay them for any future work they did because I had the car on the track. It's obviously not true, but goes to show how uniformed some dealers (too many IMO) and upper level Ford employees can be.
I agree totally,

I got a better one. A local dealership told the alignment place i take my car to that there is not mustang with an adjustable suspension.

This week I cancelled my ESP warranty.

Ford ESP rep passed me on to the technical team that would normally handle a repair issue. They told me that if any component of the vehicle modified by the track key failed or needed repair (specifically the drive train) that it would not be covered by the ESP.

I notified the dealership where I purchased the car + ESP warranty and they also spent a couple days calling and trying to get clarification. They came back and said the same thing, the track key changes would null and void.

As much as I would like to hope and be optimistic that the warranty would be valid, there is too much back and forth on the track key to roll the dice on $1700 bucks. In the meantime I have 3 years or 36k mile warranty with the track key enabled.

Bump - any further developments or clarifications on ESP? I really want to know if drivetrain coverage is extended with ESP under any circumstances, if TracKey has been activated. I understand many posters have decided against the coverage, but it's mostly because they couldn't be sure. I'm approaching my retail sale date and considering it before the price goes up. Thanks and sorry in advance for causing some eye rolls. ;)

Following is the email I received from Ford in response to my question about how the Trackey would impact the standard new car warranty....

This is Dan, also from Ford's Customer Relationship Center. I will be answering your email inquiring about the installation of the Trackey on your 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 that Dia has previously handled.

I would like to congratulate you for your new Ford vehicle purchase.

As previously said, your inquiry has been escalated to the appropriate department. Upon doing so, I was able to confirm that The Trackey is an aftermarket add-on. However, the factory 5 years/60,000 miles Powertrain Warranty will not be affected by the installation of it. The Trackey itself comes with a 3 years/36,000 miles warranty to cover the additional key and programming.

It has been a pleasure assisting you with this matter.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Dan
Ford Motor Company

I asked the dealer about how the Trackey would dovetail with the extended warranty when they tried to sell it to me. They didn't know so made a call and responded that it would void the extended warranty.

I have no idea if either response is correct - just reporting the answers I got FWIW.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel