The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailer winch recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
I've been using a badlands 2500LB winch for a few years. Its been good to me. If youre going to use it on a uhal its probaly the best option. Its small and can probably make a mount for it.

As for Badlands VS Warn. You're only paying for a sticker IMHO. They are both made in China at this point. Plus, you can always run down to your nearest Harbor Freight and swap it out if you get the warranty.

Us rednecks just jacknife the tow vehicle and use a second pickup to pull the car on the trailer with a rope.

My project super trailer uses a Tractor Supply 4K pound winch. Remember, you're not picking the car up, you are pulling it. That being said, I built a plate that sandwiches the frame rail to mount it. One more overlooked thing, place the controls ( or operate them) out of the range of a failed tow hook or cable, that can get pretty nasty if you are in the way.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Lol, about to have the strongest right arm
When I have loaded a dead car, I have used a hand cable come along. The come along with a few straps will get the job done. My preferred method is to have trailer I can drive on to. Can you drive onto an open haul trailer?
You youngsters (Tony) 😄 are likely used to pushing buttons to get work done. We more experienced folks learned to do things the hard way. Lessons taught while walking up hill to school during blizzard conditions carrying our little sisters on our back. Lol.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I've been using a badlands 2500LB winch for a few years. Its been good to me. If youre going to use it on a uhal its probaly the best option. Its small and can probably make a mount for it.

As for Badlands VS Warn. You're only paying for a sticker IMHO. They are both made in China at this point. Plus, you can always run down to your nearest Harbor Freight and swap it out if you get the warranty.
Just purchased the Badlands Apex 5500 from HF for $250 with the warranty based on your recommendation. If it fails then at least I’m covered and harbor freight is located several places. In the event it dies while at the track then I know I can drive to a location and get it swapped.

Next thing is a wireless remote. They didn’t have one in stock. Thanks for the suggestion @Tonymustang302

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
my first time without correct race ramps, lookin like a menards lumberyard meeting vetelish at blackhawk. Was the most stressful time with my atc. AJ splitter flexed like crazy lol

View attachment 92719
I've been using horse stall mats (4'x6') cut into 10-12" strips to replace all lumber. They lay over and conform to ramps etc. to provide that extra 1/2" or 1" when needed.

You can just see them in my picture, I had a couple of 4ft sections laying over my race ramps. Very handy.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I've been using horse stall mats (4'x6') cut into 10-12" strips to replace all lumber. They lay over and conform to ramps etc. to provide that extra 1/2" or 1" when needed.

You can just see them in my picture, I had a couple of 4ft sections laying over my race ramps. Very handy.
Horse stall mats, Very appropriate!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Bay Area
Just purchased the Badlands Apex 5500 from HF for $250 with the warranty based on your recommendation. If it fails then at least I’m covered and harbor freight is located several places. In the event it dies while at the track then I know I can drive to a location and get it swapped.

Next thing is a wireless remote. They didn’t have one in stock. Thanks for the suggestion @Tonymustang302
I think you can score those on Amazon. I just saw one on eBay for 20 bucks. Let me know how the wireless works out. I’m considering the same option with a newer and bigger winch. My 2500 lb is getting old and tired but after 3-4 yrs of pulling the fatty shitstang up I can’t complain.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Okay. So I don’t have the option of buying a trailer. After my last track day at Road Atlanta, I ended up destroying my throwout bearing getting the car on the trailer. The fix is to use a winch and that way I can load by myself and not have to kill my clutch. I needed a solution that allows me to not modify the trailer or my truck. There are a few YouTube videos but they involve a method that decreases towing capacity. My solution that I’m praying will work is done by using Bulletproof hitch system and HF winch mount.

I ended up getting the Badlands Apex 5500 winch. Just wish the solenoid was already sealed and connected.
IMG_4841.png
IMG_4840.png

I will use the top two slots for the receiver attachment and then will use the Harbor Freight Badlands Winch Hitch mount. This allows me to easily remove the winch when not in use.

IMG_4837.png

That’s my plan going forward. Please let me know what you think

IMG_4839.png

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors