The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
During a warm up lap at Hallett earlier this week, I was coming into a corner and during a downshift my auto blip activated and I heard a bit of a "pop" and my engine/drivetrain started to vibrate a bit. It's completely rpm dependent, makes no difference whether the clutch is in or out, and there are no codes. I can barely feel it at idle and anything below 2k is hardly noticeable. By 3k it's pretty obvious, and I haven't revved it any harder than that. It's not getting any worse or better, everything still functions normally and there are no codes. My first thought is that something let go on the clutch and is giving it an imbalance. It would have to be in the part that's connected to the engine, as I can have it in gear with the clutch depressed and it still vibrates. I ended up driving it to a friend's place about 20 miles down the road and it's still the same. Is there anything in the engine that could have let go and caused an imbalance without affecting performance? My first plan is to pull the transmission and look at the clutch, but if I don't find anything it about has to be something internal to the engine. It's my supercharged 2018 Roush. Any ideas?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Perhaps one of the engine mounts let go?
A possibility, but it's not really acting like other broken mounts I've dealt with. I would expect engine load to change the vibration if it was a mount. It's only been old vehicles that I've dealt with mounts on in the past, though. I'll check and make sure that's not it. Thanks!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Perhaps one of the engine mounts let go?
On the other hand... Drove it slowly with an eye/ear toward detecting whether it might be a mount, and I think you're probably right. I'll try to get it confirmed tomorrow. The vibration is definitely rpm dependent, but the intensity changes slightly during loading changes. My slow crawl through a parking lot where I was on and off the clutch quite a bit made it seem like a mount is highly suspect. Thanks for your suggestion!

TMO Supporting Vendors