The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Vorshlag MCS coilover or Shelby Penske Coilover kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready to take my GT350 track performance to the next level and would like to get some opinion on the 2 coilover kits I am looking for.
Initially I was ready to take the plunge on a MCS 2 way non remote kit from Vorshlag, but then I found Shelby have a Penske coilover kit for GT350 at about similar pricing.
I am very familiar with MCS as my brother track (E46 M3) are using the 3 way full remote and it is amazing systems.
There are not a single review online talking about the Shelby Penske Kit and I wonder if you guys have any thought on it ?

Here's the link to the 2 product

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I’m sure @cortexracing was involved with developing the product so if a buyer wanted coilovers they would most likely go directly to Cortex. I’m sure the feedback would be positive because it generally is with Cortex products (especially coilovers)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I am ready to take my GT350 track performance to the next level and would like to get some opinion on the 2 coilover kits I am looking for.
Initially I was ready to take the plunge on a MCS 2 way non remote kit from Vorshlag, but then I found Shelby have a Penske coilover kit for GT350 at about similar pricing.
I am very familiar with MCS as my brother track (E46 M3) are using the 3 way full remote and it is amazing systems.
There are not a single review online talking about the Shelby Penske Kit and I wonder if you guys have any thought on it ?

Here's the link to the 2 product

Not to take anything from Shelby, but that kit was a collaboration with Cortex racing (zoom in on the strut housing and you’ll see the Cortex logo). I would recommend going directly to Cortex, because you’ll get customized guidance on spring rates, etc for your specific application, which varies greatly depending on which tire you’re running, aero, etc. Personally I’m biased towards the Penske’s, but you’ll get similar customized advice from Vorshlag and the MCS are quality units.

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know the Shelby Kit was a colab between Cortex Racing and Shelby.
I will reach out to both Cortex racing and Vorshlag to get a better feel on which products will be best suited for my use.
As for maintenance and rebuilt of the kit, does anyone knows if Cortex offer service/rebuilt of the kit when it comes time for it ?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know the Shelby Kit was a colab between Cortex Racing and Shelby.
I will reach out to both Cortex racing and Vorshlag to get a better feel on which products will be best suited for my use.
As for maintenance and rebuilt of the kit, does anyone knows if Cortex offer service/rebuilt of the kit when it comes time for it ?
Direct through Penske for service. Their technical support is too-notch as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I can't speak for the Cortex/Penske system but I run the MCS 2 way remotes on my car and I highly recommend. MCS is local to me and Cortex never responded to any emails I sent them so it was an easy decision.
Who did you get yours from? Direct or another vendor?

The MCS coil overs are 250 a corner to have rebuilt through MCS. Its waaaaay too much. Penske is the way to go.

The MCS coil overs are 250 a corner to have rebuilt through MCS. Its waaaaay too much. Penske is the way to go.
Not arguing, but I haven't paid less than $200-250/shock for shock service from someone I trust in years. I mean Allgaier will do it slightly cheaper, but they know nothing about my application so they can only build exactly what a tell them (and I am not a shock guru, I need the application help)

For the OP, I have dealt with Cortex and Vorshlag with parts on my car and IMO there is no wrong answer. Talk to both and see who you feel more comfortable with.

DaveW

To put this in perspective, the double whiz bang Penskes for the Corvetter C7 series competition shocks are about $10K, maybe a bit more. Phoenix has proprietary valving for their stuff, so I would assume they have the same for the S197/S550 series Mustangs as well, no doubt with the same $$$. The only reason that I mention that is so that you know what you are buying is going to be somewhat limited. No problem with that, not everyone can dump $10K into a shock package, or for that matter, is able to tune to that level where those shocks are required. I just wanted to throw out there that htere is different levels of "all in" when you go racing. Those Cortex shocks are just fine for the 90% of us that will never see that level of competition, and Rickey is a decent guy, but they are not "absolute" in performance, but are a decent compromise.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel