The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 08' BULLITT #0499 Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fun car to autocross whether you are going to run in the Street Class or switch over to CAM with quite a few mods. Looks pretty nice to go into American Iron, but that is apparently a plan for the future? Welcome!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dover, Arkansas
Fun car to autocross whether you are going to run in the Street Class or switch over to CAM with quite a few mods. Looks pretty nice to go into American Iron, but that is apparently a plan for the future? Welcome!
Thanks!

And yes, that is the plan for the future. Part of the shift to a fully track dedicated car is the amount of debris on the road where I live and the dangerous situations/drivers I've had to avoid on these mountains even with just normal commuting. I'd rather the car wasn't totaled as the result of a log truck/animal/poor driver/etc... A truck is a must in this area, so here we are.

The parts that are unique to the BULLITT are being kept and stored as I do updates. The car isn't perfect, and there were two small collisions on the CarFax report when I bought it.. BUT, it's rust free and was almost all original. I'm in the middle of tear-down right now, but it'll have a good life.

Happy to have found this website. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while.

CA
Thanks!

And yes, that is the plan for the future. Part of the shift to a fully track dedicated car is the amount of debris on the road where I live and the dangerous situations/drivers I've had to avoid on these mountains even with just normal commuting. I'd rather the car wasn't totaled as the result of a log truck/animal/poor driver/etc... A truck is a must in this area, so here we are.

The parts that are unique to the BULLITT are being kept and stored as I do updates. The car isn't perfect, and there were two small collisions on the CarFax report when I bought it.. BUT, it's rust free and was almost all original. I'm in the middle of tear-down right now, but it'll have a good life.

Happy to have found this website. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while.
I've got every single one of my original Bullitt parts too, great minds think alike ;)

Glad to see another 08' B getting the track car treatment. Always feel free to reach out if you've got questions. Welcome to the TMO club!

52657958873_f44e4f038f_o.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Thanks!

I've been keeping all of the original parts for mine, too. So far I've got everything but the original oil filter (the dealership did the first oil change). Since you have a Bullitt, I'll mention the Bullitt Nationals are in Detroit this year in mid August. It starts off with the Mohawk Track Experience (HPDE event at Gingerman Raceway) and then heads over to Detroit for tours of Mike Berardi's collection, the Piquette plant, and the Flat Rock assembly plant where Mustangs are put together. The weekend schedule is heading to Mustang Alley at the Woodward Dream Cruise and it ends with the Mustang Memories show on Sunday. It's a great time. The MTE is at a great venue and you get lots of track time for the money. If you're interested I can get you some more info.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dover, Arkansas
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I didn't know about Ozark International Raceway until reading your comment, Bill. It's roughly 4 hours away and all highway driving for me, so that'll definitely be a place I visit. I am also quite happy to know that I am not the only BULLITT owner that has decided to go this route. Given some of the other forums and groups I've been around it certainly seemed that way. As far as Nationals goes, I'd love some more info whenever you can send it my way!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I didn't know about Ozark International Raceway until reading your comment, Bill. It's roughly 4 hours away and all highway driving for me, so that'll definitely be a place I visit. I am also quite happy to know that I am not the only BULLITT owner that has decided to go this route. Given some of the other forums and groups I've been around it certainly seemed that way. As far as Nationals goes, I'd love some more info whenever you can send it my way!
Here's a link to the registration that has the schedule:

And here's a link to MTE that happens earlier in the week:

If you're on Facebook you can join several groups that have info - Bullitt Owners and Friends, The Bullitt Nationals, and Hoondog Performance Group are a few active ones. The guy (Paul) that runs MTE has several 01 Bullitts including a twin turbo drag car and will soon have a coyote swapped '01 set up for road courses.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have either here or private message.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dover, Arkansas
Here's a link to the registration that has the schedule:

And here's a link to MTE that happens earlier in the week:

If you're on Facebook you can join several groups that have info - Bullitt Owners and Friends, The Bullitt Nationals, and Hoondog Performance Group are a few active ones. The guy (Paul) that runs MTE has several 01 Bullitts including a twin turbo drag car and will soon have a coyote swapped '01 set up for road courses.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have either here or private message.
Sweet, I've been away for a while but I'm going to dig into all of this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dover, Arkansas
I've made a little progress since I last posted. Removing the front crash bar was a bit more difficult than I expected... I am glad to be done with it. I was also able to run power to the garage I'm working out of with the help of my father. That has boosted my productivity ten-fold. Slowly but surely, it's coming along.

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Looks like the Bullitt is going to be a " Bull " on track and I agree with the Apex Horse.........you are committed! My wife would have me committed if I did that, because I tend to put things off a bit and I would like have just an " itt " sitting in the garage for years. Will be fun to watch your progress and this is the place to post about it , since TMO members follow and help others when they take on this type of racecraft.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dover, Arkansas
Thanks, everyone! I've definitely crossed the point of no return lol My wife and I had the majority of our first dates in this car back when I still lived on the East Coast. There's some nostalgia there for sure. Her only concerns with me going off the deep end were that I don't end up getting disheartened and selling it, and that it has a passenger seat when it's done. She's actually helped me work on it quite a bit too which is awesome. Same with my father, he's come down a few times and helped me tinker/suffer in the Arkansas heat. It's sort of taken on a team dynamic in some ways.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors