The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2017 Mustang GT in Colombia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Medellin, Colombia
Hi, I recently sold my 2022 BMW 118i, I was looking for a M240i, but ended up buying a 2017 Mustang GT Premium here in Colombia. 25k miles. I am a digital nomad from USA and have been living here for almost 2 years. The car is completely stock and I have ordered a 2018+ active exhaust that I will wire a switch. Here there are a lot of mountain roads and a race track that isn't yet officially open. Here's a video of the condition 10 months ago

It's difficult to get parts here, and would be easier for lightweight stuff to ship or bring on the plane. The car is my daily driver so ride height is a problem, even at stock height I have to carefully drive over speed bumps, and I can't enter some parking garages. With that said, I am looking for suggestions of must have mods for light track duty, for a complete noob. I was a car mechanic for 8 years so you can talk to me like I know what you're talking about.

IMG_0956.jpg

Welcome and a bit South of you is " Madhatte " a Mustang Trackrat in Chile and though he is not close he may have some tips for you on how to get stuff down South of the equator. He has been racing his S197 Boss for years so I imagine he will have some pointers for you. Glad to have you here and keep us posted on your mods and fun drives in Columbia.

Welcome and a bit South of you is " Madhatte " a Mustang Trackrat in Chile and though he is not close he may have some tips for you on how to get stuff down South of the equator. He has been racing his S197 Boss for years so I imagine he will have some pointers for you. Glad to have you here and keep us posted on your mods and fun drives in Columbia.
Thanks. I'm excited to get involved here. I've been using a guy in Miami to ship things, $125 to ship 2 mufflers seemed good. But I can't do a victory lap until it clears customs.. I've been destroyed by them before. The taxes are high. I was a boater in NY so I originally wanted to ship a jet boat here, but they wanted 39% tax just to import a boat here! Makes me appreciate USA, heck, even Brazil had cheaper boats. But the weather is beautiful, it's the city of eternal spring, and I like to document my experiences so I'll find the thread where I can do that.

First step is to take classes in another city, they have an older BMW 3-series to teach track driving. I've also done some reading and i'm thinking wide tires and some braces to stiffen up the chassis. That should be enough to get started then start looking at big brakes. Maybe I should contact some mustang suspension shops in the states to see what they recommend, if I can maintain stock ride height for now, and get some better performance out of the suspension.

Simple things are a high quality DOT 4 brake fluid ( like Motul 600 ), and some really good track pads. Wider, stickier tires are a good idea, and if you can get set of square wheels that is beneficial. You have time to do plenty of checking and this is a good place to do it. I would imagine there are some fast tires available in Columbia that are used in the US and we should be able to tell you your best choice. Camber plates are a good idea to extend the life of your tires and you really will need to do research on who there can do a quality track alignment. You will probably find yourself having fewer options on some items but hopefully we can help and I would not worry about trying to do much more than listed above initially and for your first track visit a high quality brake fluid and pads may be your only necessity.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel