The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2022 Mach 1 owners Mobil 1 oil recomendation warning!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI The 2023 Mustang owners manual page 348 is actually referring the to the 2.3 EcoBoost...
CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 5.0L, MACH 1 actually begins on page 353... 5w30 (no specific track spec)
Have you been using 5w50 without issues?
I have been so tempted to use 5w50 with the heat down here in Texas but am leery due to the camshaft filters...

Last edited:
FYI The 2023 Mustang owners manual page 348 is actually referring the to the 2.3 EcoBoost...
CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 5.0L, MACH 1 actually begins on page 353... 5w30 (no specific track spec)
Have you been using 5w50 without issues?
I have been so tempted to use 5w50 with the heat down here in Texas but am leery due to the camshaft filters...
Jeez, you are right. I never noticed that it was for the 2.3. The section for the 2.3 starts a page or so before that table, I just did a search for 5W-50 and landed on page 348. Dealership never said anything about it, I just told the service guy that I understood the Mach 1 used 5W50 for track days going by the manual and that's what I wanted in it. No one said diddly.

I've been using 5W50 without issue. FWIW I ran 5W50 in my 2016 as well and had no issues with it either in 5 years of pretty hard track use. Hard enough to junk an MT82 and a Torsen diff. I'm kind of hinky about running 5W30 for track days. I always figured the most wear happens at start up and that's why they go to the lightest cold weight possible.

I suspect the reason they want 30 weight in the Coyote is CAFE related. They might eke out an MPG or two with lighter oil. I dunno, but I prefer the extra protection at high temps that a 50 weight oil offers. I don't want to turn this into an oil weight thread, so I'll leave it at that, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate anyone else's rational input into this issue, I just don't want it to get ugly.

2 quick comments .....

Come to the Mustang Roundup in September ( racemph.com ) in September and talk to actual Ford Engineers about what they use, and for those of us who change our oil after a couple of track weekends, it likely makes little difference if you use the 30 weight or 50 weight, imho.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel