The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2023 Mach 1 black Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
New car to replace my worn out 2016. Going to take the pedal off the metal and enjoy driving without constantly wrenching on a busted car.
Congrats on the new Mach 1! Looking forward to hearing your impressions and comparative lap times to your 2016. Are you keeping the 2016?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Congrats on the new Mach 1! Looking forward to hearing your impressions and comparative lap times to your 2016. Are you keeping the 2016?
Thanks!
No, I traded the '16 in on it. That car had lived a hard life, track day car pretty much since new. Things were starting to break with regularity and I was spending more money and time on repairs than ever. Kind of tired of working on the car and pouring money into it to fix dead and dying stuff. Just decided it was time for a change. It's been a track car since I got it, and that's pretty hard on a car.

I'm not going to banzai this car, I'm putting the 305 AR-1s on it and that's about it. Only mods planned so far are to get the 305s mounted, which means long ARP studs and open lugs to accommodate my 1" spacers. And that'll do it. For now anyway.

I expect it's going to do decent lap times, prolly within a second or two of the old car. I dunno though. It's got a fair bit more power than the '16, that alone should make a significant difference. But it's also heavier, so that's a negative. Having a decent trans will be nice, no more bi-annual MT82 rebuilds I hope. The Tremec shifted very nicely when I test drove it. But for sure I don't plan to mod the crap out of it. I'm also cutting back on the number of days I run to maybe 6 or 8 a year instead of 12 to 15.

My goal is to just enjoy driving a very good handling car on a fast track, not trying to set a personal best or compare it/me to anyone else. Just enjoy the ride!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Congrats on the mach1. You’ll like the Tremec ! I put on a right side catch can so I suggest that since it appears that you’ll be tracking the car, even the owners manual says as much. Enjoy the track !!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Congrats on the mach1. You’ll like the Tremec ! I put on a right side catch can so I suggest that since it appears that you’ll be tracking the car, even the owners manual says as much. Enjoy the track !!
Thanks for the heads up. I have catch cans on both sides of the '16. Not necessary with the Mach 1?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Thanks for the heads up. I have catch cans on both sides of the '16. Not necessary with the Mach 1?
You only need the right side. I’ve met others with newer mach1’s with both sides & not much shows up in the left side. I get 3ish tablespoons every oil change and I change oil/filter every 1,000 miles, 80% of that is on track miles. I installed the Ford Performance right side only and it‘s a plug & play setup.

TMO Supporting Vendors