The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2024 Fire Suppression system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
I run Scca Time Trials events in my 2019 Mustang EcoSnake running on e30 or e85. I have a Watson roll bar with a Schroth asm 4 point harness. I want to add a Fire suppression system and was looking at Lifeline Zero 360 with Novec 1230 and manual activation. I want to hear your opinion on safety and if this is the correct system for me to run. Mostly used at the track, I do drive to and from the track.
Thank you for your help.

Screenshot_20231120-145023_Chrome.jpg

Already answered..

Thread 'Help me pick a fire suppression system (yes i read Mad Hatters thread)' https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...n-system-yes-i-read-mad-hatters-thread.19722/

Read through those, and we'll go from there

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Already answered..

Thread 'Help me pick a fire suppression system (yes i read Mad Hatters thread)' https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...n-system-yes-i-read-mad-hatters-thread.19722/

Read through those, and we'll go from there
I was looking for someone that has used this system or may have feedback from different one's they had used. I have read this and other write up's on the overall use of the systems. Was looking for which one would be best for me in my situation as I have never purchased one before. Was hoping for real advice on products to purchase for my safety.

what does it use for an extinguishing agent, foam or halon/CO2?
What does the SCCA reqauire, use that as aminimum requirement
I would use at least a 5 lb bottle, because when you trigger it, it all dumps, and not necessarily on what is burning at the time.
Those are good systems, I've used them before, but with foam, not gas.
I'm not sure what you mean by "real advice".

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I too have used foam, and I agree you should get a 5 lb. unit, but having been an SCCA member for 42 years and a NASA one for 11 I would contact your Region President in your SCCA Region and see what they recommend. Have him/her hook you up with whomever does AnnualTech and see what they recommend. I realize it sounds minor , as this unit is likely fine, but over the years I have found the rules change and fire suppression systems is an area that is changing , so best to get what they want. Sorry, I can not get you a definitive answer because like Blacksheep I have not used that unit or system, but I do remember that new race cars systems have specific requirements that may not be required for older race cars.

Your due diligence is best checked with your California Region of SCCA, since what they suggest or require is the main key. There are requirements in every Region that may have National time stamps for implementation, but some are more aggressive than others and can require prior to an expiration date. Good luck , but I honestly think checking there is your best bet ----- it saved me money years back on a completely different situation for installation of another product.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
What is required for SCCA Time Trial depends on what class you're running in. For classes that use Safety Level 1, there is no fire suppression requirement. For Safety Level 2, the fire suppression requirement is:
4. Fire Suppression
A. All vehicles shall have a device (such as a fire bottle/fire extinguisher/fire suppression system) securely mounted with metal mounting brackets of the quick-release type within reach of the driver to suppress fires.
The device should meet at least one of the following minimum requirements:
1. On-board fire systems per SCCA Road Racing General Competition Rules (GCR).
2. Halon 1301 or 1211, 2 pound minimum capacity by weight.
3. Dry chemical, 2 pound minimum with a positive indicator showing charge. Chemical: 10 BC or 1A10BC Underwriters Laboratory rating.
Safety Level 3 uses the fire suppression requirements of Safety Level 2.

There's a link to the SCCA GCR (including monthly updates) here - https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules
9.3.22. FIRE SYSTEM All cars shall be equipped with an On-Board Fire System except T3, T4, STL, Spec Miata, B-Spec, C-Spec and Improved Touring.
A. On-Board Fire System Requirements It is recommended that all cars employ onboard fire systems that meet the following requirements:
• Systems certified to SFI specification 17.1 or 17.2, or
• Those listed by the FIA on Technical List No. 16
The FIA Technical List No. 16 can be found here - https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/761
It lists the Lifeline Zero 360 system using Novec 1230 under EX.028.08 as homologated for manufacture between Dec. 2008 and Dec. 2022.

Which is a long way of saying, yes, the system you pictured is legal for SCCA Time Trial Safety Levels 2 and 3, which covers all SCCA Time Trial classes. Note that from the FIA homologation expiration, you're buying a system that's been sitting on a shelf for at least one year now. And I'd verify with whoever you buy it from that the actual manufacturing date on the label of the unit they're shipping you is not after Dec. 2022.

NASA's Club Codes and Regulations section 15.2 on fire systems calls out the same SFI & FIA specs as SCCA.

Note also that you also need to follow all the manufacturer's installation instructions to retain certification of the system, as well as follow any additional specifications in the sanctioning bodies rules (e.g., a seated, belted-in driver must be able to activate the system; apply "E" stickers in specific locations) to be compliant.

Both FIA- and SFI-rated systems have a re-inspection period (2 years) where you need to send the bottle to the manufacturer (or sometimes a large vendor that's been authorized - Pegasus does Lifeline Novec 1230 as well as SPA 1230 and AFFF systems) to be inspected and recertified. On top of that, there's an overall lifetime to the bottle (6 years for SIF, 10 for FIA). If you're buying a bottle that was manufactured over a year ago, you've lost that time in the re-inspection period and the overall life.

Lastly, Novec 1230 is a brand name from 3M. It's generically called FK-5-1-12 and is categorized as a PFAS. 3M has said it will cease manufacturing of all PFAS products by the end of 2025. 3M's patent on FK-5-1-12 ran out in 2020, so there are alternate manufacturers, but the FIA homologation specifically lists Novec 1230, so refilling the system with non-3M FK-5-1-12 may not be strictly legal under the FIA specification, and therefore the SCCA and NASA rules. In addition, there are some states (including CA) as well as the US EPA that have legislation and regulations around PFAS chemicals, though they're mostly targeted at manufacturers and large commercial users. Just bringing this up as something to consider when comparing systems that use different extinguishing agents.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nothing else needs to be said, Dave_W took the time to hit every single high point and he has made the due diligence needed for these systems complete for the OP , and in fact for any one else looking into this. I am sure that others will use Dave's excellent post as it helps answer the requirements for NASA, SCCA and others, but then this type of extra help is what folks on TMO are used to getting from Dave–W!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel