The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 @4o6racing Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The down side of doing it that way is....look how low the dash bar is. :confused:
Kind of a knee knocker.....but you can't have everything. Always compromises to be made, its the nature of the sport.
The rest of it looks great.
I talked with them about that bar during the fitting session we had a couple weeks ago. The bar sits in the same space where the plastic trim was below the steering column, and in place of the glove box on the passenger side. Should be far enough up and in to not make contact with my legs. I’ll report back after I get it back this weekend.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I talked with them about that bar during the fitting session we had a couple weeks ago. The bar sits in the same space where the plastic trim was below the steering column, and in place of the glove box on the passenger side. Should be far enough up and in to not make contact with my legs. I’ll report back after I get it back this weekend.
Probably be fine but, it’s those odd severe wrecks where the belts and your body stretches that get ya.
Say you get upside down….where do your legs go?
Up into the dash, and that bar….on your shins. ouch.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
In a weird twist of irony, this happens to be post #406 of this build thread. Most know that I run the number 406 on my Mustang, but many don’t realize it’s a nod to my home state of Montana (area code). I’ve been a bit quiet on here lately (and on the track) as I’ve been in the middle of a move back to where I started this crazy journey 13 years ago. I didn’t think the opportunity would ever come to get back “home”, especially staying with the same company I’ve been with 27 years. The stars aligned and we decided the time was right for our family. I trailered the Mustang to Billings the first week of June and everything else is shipping this week. Definitely going to miss the track options that SoCal provides and the great track friends. The business and political climate - not so much.

As the search for a new house started, I was hopeful to find something with a shop space. Expectations exceeded with a 40’ x 50’ attached shop, in addition to the 3 car normal garage. The sellers left a 10K# 2-post lift. Contractors are knocking out the tape/prime/paint before the movers arrive next week. Can’t wait to have the dream space, even though I’ll have a bit of a drive to get to my new “home” NASA region in Utah. Here’s a quick preview of the new 406 Racing headquarters / can’t wait to share the finished product in a few weeks! (Seller’s stuff in the pics)

IMG_9357.pngIMG_9356.pngIMG_9358.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
In a weird twist of irony, this happens to be post #406 of this build thread. Most know that I run the number 406 on my Mustang, but many don’t realize it’s a nod to my home state of Montana (area code). I’ve been a bit quiet on here lately (and on the track) as I’ve been in the middle of a move back to where I stated this crazy journey 13 years ago. I didn’t think the opportunity would ever come to get back “home”, especially staying with the same company I’ve been with 27 years. The stars aligned and we decided the time was right for our family. I trailered the Mustang to Billings the first week of June and everything else is shipping this week. Definitely going to miss the track options that SoCal provides and the great track friends. The business and political climate - not so much.

As the search for a new house started, I was hopeful to find something with a shop space. Expectations exceeded with a 40’ x 50’ attached shop, in addition to the 3 car normal garage. The sellers left a 10K# 2-post lift. Contractors are knocking out the tape/prime/paint before the movers arrive next week. Can’t wait to have the dream space, even though I’ll have a bit of a drive to get to my new “home” NASA region in Utah. Here’s a quick preview of the new 406 Racing headquarters / can’t wait to share the finished product in a few weeks! (Seller’s stuff in the pics)

View attachment 96706View attachment 96707View attachment 96708
Tom if you're still in socal for now, I'd love to to buy you a farewell beer. You've been an outstanding inspiration, friend, and competitor. I owe you so much more than a beer, but we'll cross paths again, I'll make sure of it. Congratulations on the next step of your journey. I can't wait to see what it brings!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
In a weird twist of irony, this happens to be post #406 of this build thread. Most know that I run the number 406 on my Mustang, but many don’t realize it’s a nod to my home state of Montana (area code). I’ve been a bit quiet on here lately (and on the track) as I’ve been in the middle of a move back to where I started this crazy journey 13 years ago. I didn’t think the opportunity would ever come to get back “home”, especially staying with the same company I’ve been with 27 years. The stars aligned and we decided the time was right for our family. I trailered the Mustang to Billings the first week of June and everything else is shipping this week. Definitely going to miss the track options that SoCal provides and the great track friends. The business and political climate - not so much.

Hope you have an extra bedroom for me….

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Temecula, CA

Tom, it's been great getting to know you at the track and I will miss those times. So happy for you and your family! Looks like an amazing new place! Take care.
Bill

TMO Supporting Vendors