The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 A Pale Horse Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Oh wow! I would greatly appreciate that boss man. The only company that has one that I know of is Archetype. I’m looking forward to seeing your projects come to life.
I got the general design sketched out in CAD this weekend. I just need to refine it, make some mounting hardware (I have a pretty slick idea), and add some lightening pockets. I'll post everything here as well!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I got the general design sketched out in CAD this weekend. I just need to refine it, make some mounting hardware (I have a pretty slick idea), and add some lightening pockets. I'll post everything here as well!
Amazing. Funny thing is I actually contacted Nick at Klaus about custom uprights to go with a 9LR airfoil. I didn’t want to rush you but I’ll see what you come up with and will get Klaus uprights to go with it

Amazing. Funny thing is I actually contacted Nick at Klaus about custom uprights to go with a 9LR airfoil. I didn’t want to rush you but I’ll see what you come up with and will get Klaus uprights to go with it

I would love to have something like the Verus mounting solution, but don't really need the extra expense of the carbon wing itself. I think there's a strong market for people don't want to permanently modify their trunklid for a adding aero.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Has he gotten back to you? I know he was absolutely slammed with projects last we chatted. Do you already have a 9LR wing? If so, I assume the mounting tabs are spaced at 28.5" as their site says. If not, Klaus spaces theirs at 24 inches. Given that the Klaus upright contour matches the trunk, the spacing would affect that. 9LR may be able to work around that that put the tabs at 24".

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I would love to have something like the Verus mounting solution, but don't really need the extra expense of the carbon wing itself. I think there's a strong market for people don't want to permanently modify their trunklid for a adding aero.

I agree. I actually contacted Verus last year to see how much just their mount/uprights would cost. I wanted this solution because it would cover up the holes from my Anderson 350R spoiler. But the quote of $1400 made me think otherwise lol.
Has he gotten back to you? I know he was absolutely slammed with projects last we chatted. Do you already have a 9LR wing? If so, I assume the mounting tabs are spaced at 28.5" as their site says. If not, Klaus spaces theirs at 24 inches. Given that the Klaus upright contour matches the trunk, the spacing would affect that. 9LR may be able to work around that that put the tabs at 24".

he did and was very helpful. I do not have the wing yet but they have a “Build your own” option. I just give them width of wing which I will do 71” and you can give them spacing for them to weld the mounts or they send it with the mounts off the wing and you weld it on yourself.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
I agree. I actually contacted Verus last year to see how much just their mount/uprights would cost. I wanted this solution because it would cover up the holes from my Anderson 350R spoiler. But the quote of $1400 made me think otherwise lol.

he did and was very helpful. I do not have the wing yet but they have a “Build your own” option. I just give them width of wing which I will do 71” and you can give them spacing for them to weld the mounts or they send it with the mounts off the wing and you weld it on yourself.
That's perfect. I've had nothing but fantastic experience with 9LR. They seem like great guys. I'm going to try and finish off the initial chassis mount design this week and get something posted here.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
WHERES MY FENDER VENTS
Ha, I'm excited too man. I'll reach out tomorrow and see what the timeline is. I was expecting to hear back mid-month but have not heard anything. I'd imagine they're more backed up than expected due to SEMA.

Last edited:
That's perfect. I've had nothing but fantastic experience with 9LR. They seem like great guys. I'm going to try and finish off the initial chassis mount design this week and get something posted here.
Johnny seems like a great guy, but he never responded to my inquiries to creating a GT350/S550 splitter setup and when asked about alternate mounting solutions for the S550 chassis that would cover the factory spoiler mounting locations, his only feedback was to buy a wingless trunklid. The problem is that by the time I buy a trunk (which is near impossible in my color) I am now at the cost or more expensive custom solutions. I'm even local and willing to let them have the car for 3D scanning, but they weren't really interested.

All totally fine given that they're a small shop and can't custom develop solutions for every car under the sun, just my experience.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Johnny seems like a great guy, but he never responded to my inquiries to creating a GT350/S550 splitter setup and when asked about alternate mounting solutions for the S550 chassis that would cover the factory spoiler mounting locations, his only feedback was to buy a wingless trunklid. The problem is that by the time I buy a trunk (which is near impossible in my color) I am now at the cost or more expensive custom solutions. I'm even local and willing to let them have the car for 3D scanning, but they weren't really interested.

All totally fine given that they're a small shop and can't custom develop solutions for every car under the sun, just my experience.

I am right there with you on the splitter topic. I reached out to them over 5 times over the past two years to develop a splitter for our car lol. The answer has been they just need a couple hours with a car. I am planning(not registered) to do Road Atlanta in November so if I make the trip I will offer up my car.

@5.2 liters of democracy just curious…will your mount be able to only work with 24” spacing? I suppose so but figured I’d ask.

I am right there with you on the splitter topic. I reached out to them over 5 times over the past two years to develop a splitter for our car lol. The answer has been they just need a couple hours with a car. I am planning(not registered) to do Road Atlanta in November so if I make the trip I will offer up my car.

@5.2 liters of democracy just curious…will your mount be able to only work with 24” spacing? I suppose so but figured I’d ask.
Their shop is 30 minutes from my house. Was happy to leave it with them over the winter, instead developed one myself.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California

I can modify it to accept any spacing that has the wing over the trunk opening. Since the basic design is done, I can always just start with that to accommodate different spacing and add then figure out where it can be lightened to provide the best strength:weight ratio.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California

Sounds like shouldn't have bought the fastest color! Kidding of course, but man I love that orange. If you were to use a mounting solution like Verus uses, would you just plug the remaining holes across the trunk lid with something like push in rivets?

I've gone halfway down the route of getting a spare trunk lid and I'm trying to figure out if I regret it or not. On one hand, it gives me a spare should anything go drastically wrong, but on the other it's going to be expensive to get it to where I want it. When I bought mine, the junk yard had dented it after they took pictures of it. I arrived to pick it up and they had stuff piled up on it. I also hadn't just gone through the expense of putting an engine in on my own. It's amazing how much I've been nickel and dimes on this project. Nevertheless, it's my own fault so I'm just here to spread what I've learned haha.

Sounds like shouldn't have bought the fastest color! Kidding of course, but man I love that orange. If you were to use a mounting solution like Verus uses, would you just plug the remaining holes across the trunk lid with something like push in rivets?

I've gone halfway down the route of getting a spare trunk lid and I'm trying to figure out if I regret it or not. On one hand, it gives me a spare should anything go drastically wrong, but on the other it's going to be expensive to get it to where I want it. When I bought mine, the junk yard had dented it after they took pictures of it. I arrived to pick it up and they had stuff piled up on it. I also hadn't just gone through the expense of putting an engine in on my own. It's amazing how much I've been nickel and dimes on this project. Nevertheless, it's my own fault so I'm just here to spread what I've learned haha.
The Verus wing covers all the outer holes. The only thing left is the center hole and APR has a little carbon puck for them.

Why are t u using the aj splitter. His mounts are the best

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I've gone halfway down the route of getting a spare trunk lid and I'm trying to figure out if I regret it or not.
I know of an Oxford white one not too far from you in Cherry Valley available for a firm handshake.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I completely forgot about that one. Rumor has it that one belongs to a local legend. I should have checked with you before I bought one from the junkyard many moons ago.
It's literally the only panel on the car that wasn't destroyed. :D

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
@biggsy This is what I'm thinking:

ChassisMount2.PNG

1696399454090.png

The wing uprights would mount to intermediate uprights attached to the chassis mount. I need to draw these up once I get the wing in place. The chassis mount would be bolted through a frame rail with a simple CNC mount on the underside to help spread the clamping force. I'll likely be able to draw that up in the next few days. I'm recovering from a mountain bike crash that's made it difficult to get down on the ground so I haven't had a chance to get exact measurements of the existing oval holes in the frame rail yet. The CNC piece would basically look like a staple that inserts into the existing oval holes on the structural part of the frame on each side of the trunk. It's the thickest metal I can find back there so it makes sense to use it. I'm fully open to any feedback as well since I'm going to be using this on my car.

Edit: I'm also going to lighten the ends, lighten the middle brace, and add a small brace at the center on the bottom.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors