The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick...that's my point. The Accufab TB was installed and run without a tune and the Ford Racing TB requires a tune...yet they are the same part....yes?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Thought about this upgrade but didn't want to use an aftermarket labeled part, so I went with the Ford Racing branded Accufab 84.5mm TB. No tune was needed to see improved results. A few things I noticed were, improved throttle response in mid to High RPMs. TracKey WOT response is instant, no more slight hesitation. Return to idle after engine rev is improved, it no longer floats down to idle. Low speed operation in first improved, no more bucking. TracKey idle is 750 RPMs and Silver key idle is lower, 650 to 700 RPMs.

After having three days of decent weather, (yesterday was 56 degrees), to test the new TB operation, I have found no drawbacks. Very street friendly, and on the other side, improved performance. I have the OEM CAI, FRPP K&N filter and Boss 302S open grill. See below,

20131225_180427_zps9138046d.jpg

I am itching to post my dyno numbers. I can't wait to show you guys what gains I achieved. Hope this article comes out soon...

Unless my Boss is some sort of factory freak, my results are contrary to what a lot of people believe. All I can say with absolute certainty is that I have seen a significant difference with both the CAI and TB mods. Just wish I could post the damn dyno sheets!

From the Accufab website - the unit is pre-calibrated according to the quote below......

Application. Standard Version Part # F84.5: There are no adapters or modifications required, plus, the unit is pre-calibrated at Accufab prior to shipment. Simply, bolt it on and go!. This Accufab throttle body is specifically designed for use on the 2011-2013 Ford Mustang GT. It will also fit the new Boss 302 manifold.

Steve

I think some are misunderstanding "calibration" to mean tune. My thought is that it probably means a change / reprogram to the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) is required. The Accufab is pre-claibrated while the Ford Racing is not.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
KBBOSS1086 said:
I think some are misunderstanding "calibration" to mean tune. My thought is that it probably means a change / reprogram to the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) is required. The Accufab is pre-claibrated while the Ford Racing is not.

Actually, this is not correct and our cars do not use the TPS system. The FRPP 84.5 TB is calibrated and it works well as a bolt on upgrade. You get to eliminate the plastic TB spacer used with the 80.0mm OEM TB. It's funny how my stock Boss 302 (U Code engine), intake manifold mates up to the larger TB.

Also, this TB is capable of supporting high HP applications, and to maximize its full potential a tune would be required.

The drive motor and sensors are calibrated. You should install one as it will exceed your expectations. All the best, 2HP

No the MVT has always been in.

And it's not making 450 rwhp. THAT would be incredible...

You'd need long tubes and a tune for that.

302 Hi Pro said:
Actually, this is not true and our cars do not use the TPS system. The FRPP 84.5 TB is calibrated and it works well as a bolt on upgrade. You get to eliminate the plastic TB spacer used with the 80.0mm OEM TB. It's funny how my stock Boss 302 (U Code engine), intake manifold mates up to the larger TB.

Also, this TB is capable of supporting high HP applications, and to maximize its full potential a tune would be required.

The drive motor and sensors are calibrated. You should install on as it will exceed your expectations. All the best, 2HP

So, basically the ONLY difference between those two TB is the engraving on the top?
And basically both the TB + AIRAID CAI can be bolted up together with no tune?!
And show an increase of HP (performance)?!
Whatever key is used?!

I still remember listening to the interview in JAY LENO'S garage with DAVE PERICAK... He was saying that none of the OEM equipment could be improved upon and that all had been 100% maximized (Intake and shifter etc ...) LOL :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw
Are the Ford engineers really so bad? Is it a cost thing? A fuel consumption thing? A reliability thing?

Haha yeah I remember hearing him say that about the stock CAI. "You cannot improve on it." Definitely not true.

If anyone thinks the stock shifter is at all optimized...well...

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have wanted the Ford racing TB for sometime now but always didnt go after it because it required a tune which I never understood as the accufab unit doesnt require a tune. I mostly want it for the looks. (I know right) but I had upgraded TB's in the past that required a tune on my 06 GT only to have it either not idle or drive like crap. So now that I know its a plug and play operation without a doubt I will pursue one....after the wife calms down of coarse of my current debacle. Which is actually going to turn out ok it looks like. :)

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
I found a Ford Dealer, Gary Yoemans of Daytona Florida selling the FRPP TB for a buy it now price of $383.95 on eBay Motors and free shipping. It's the best price I had seen plus it comes with a Ford Dealer parts sale invoice. If there are any issues it's covered by my local Ford dealer under the parts warranty. 2HP

patrickshelby said:
So, basically the ONLY difference between those two TB is the engraving on the top?
And basically both the TB + AIRAID CAI can be bolted up together with no tune?!
And show an increase of HP (performance)?!
Whatever key is used?!

I still remember listening to the interview in JAY LENO'S garage with DAVE PERICAK... He was saying that none of the OEM equipment could be improved upon and that all had been 100% maximized (Intake and shifter etc ...) LOL :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw
Are the Ford engineers really so bad? Is it a cost thing? A fuel consumption thing? A reliability thing?

I think they just got caught up in the moment....errr marketing optimism.....still nice to know the BOSS 302 is a nice package box stock!!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
302 Hi Pro said:
I found a Ford Dealer, Gary Yoemans of Daytona Florida selling the FRPP TB for a buy it now price of $383.95 on eBay Motors and free shipping. It's the best price I had seen plus it comes with a Ford Dealer parts sale invoice. If there are any issues it's covered by my local Ford dealer under the parts warranty. 2HP
I was about to grab the other one on ebay for that price. is there more to be had or was that it?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Justin said:
I have wanted the Ford racing TB for sometime now but always didnt go after it because it required a tune which I never understood as the accufab unit doesnt require a tune. I mostly want it for the looks. (I know right) but I had upgraded TB's in the past that required a tune on my 06 GT only to have it either not idle or drive like crap. So now that I know its a plug and play operation without a doubt I will pursue one....after the wife calms down of coarse of my current debacle. Which is actually going to turn out ok it looks like. :)

Warranty repair?? Hope So!! 8)

TMO Supporting Vendors