The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickshelby said:
So, basically the ONLY difference between those two TB is the engraving on the top?
And basically both the TB + AIRAID CAI can be bolted up together with no tune?!
And show an increase of HP (performance)?!
Whatever key is used?!

I still remember listening to the interview in JAY LENO'S garage with DAVE PERICAK... He was saying that none of the OEM equipment could be improved upon and that all had been 100% maximized (Intake and shifter etc ...) LOL :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw
Are the Ford engineers really so bad? Is it a cost thing? A fuel consumption thing? A reliability thing?
Yes
Yes
Eh ... Yes and No. While on all of the threads I have and dyno charts I have seen showed little to no gains in peak power, mid range power was almost always gained. But to be honest I rarely if ever seen a No Tune CAI pickup a lot of HP. The gains made with CAI come from the increased MAF and the appropriate tuning of such.

Ford did a pretty bad ass job as is, you have to remember that they have to deal with crash safety ratings, pedestrian crash safety regulations, 50 state emission ratings, CAFE laws and regulations, creating a car with good gas mileage, NVH compliance, pleasing the bean counters, Ford's own reliability testing, making sure the car will be able to run and drive problem free in all places from the Deserts of Arizona to Northern Alaska, then there is making sure that everything complies and is able to work in the factory (Hell, if the SVT Raptor had been 15mm wider they would have had to retool the ENTIRE plant and redesign it). The aftermarket doesn't have to worry about any of that, although sometimes you will see delays from the aftermarket due to trying to meet California Emissions testings. If you remember the Boss 302 was supposed to have Long Tubes from the factory which was scrapped due to complexity during assembly line production and the bean counters didn't understand why the Boss needed it ( that would have brought power up to roughly 470 HP) and the Boss was supposed to get the Cobra Jet cams which would have given fantastic top end power and roughly 500HP but were ultimately scrapped from the project. Also, I recall reading somewhere that the Boss 302S grill was going to be standard but that was scrapped due to snow pack issues for cars that were going to be driven in winter.
RRBoss302 said:
Haha yeah I remember hearing him say that about the stock CAI. "You cannot improve on it." Definitely not true.

If anyone thinks the stock shifter is at all optimized...well...

Actually it is kind of true. Tests have shown on a couple of occasions that the stock CAI will work just as well as an aftermarket CAI. Now, you may see improvements on a dyno but real world testing doesn't really back up those gains.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
patrickshelby said:
So, basically the ONLY difference between those two TB is the engraving on the top?
And basically both the TB + AIRAID CAI can be bolted up together with no tune?!
And show an increase of HP (performance)?!
Whatever key is used?!

I still remember listening to the interview in JAY LENO'S garage with DAVE PERICAK... He was saying that none of the OEM equipment could be improved upon and that all had been 100% maximized (Intake and shifter etc ...) LOL :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXYK4rR7Sw
Are the Ford engineers really so bad? Is it a cost thing? A fuel consumption thing? A reliability thing?

Isn't that what Fred told Barney about the square wheel? We are men and can improve just about anything!!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm sure that Pericak's statement was true (at the time) given the constraints of cost, schedule, and various federal regulations that auto manufacturers are forced to deal with; but the bottom line is every generation of Mustang since the Fox Body has been a constant cycle of improvement.

patrickshelby said:
Fair enough!
So long tube headers and CJ cams will bring power up to 500HP? ;D

At the crank. Honestly there are better cams then the CJ cams as they are geared more towards the top end where the Cobra Jet lives and breathes.

Sean said:
Actually it is kind of true. Tests have shown on a couple of occasions that the stock CAI will work just as well as an aftermarket CAI. Now, you may see improvements on a dyno but real world testing doesn't really back up those gains.
I'm not sure why a dyno would be considered "other worldly" but the fact is that the stock intake, while very effective at sealing the intake air from underhood heat, restricts airflow and thus increases pumping loss. This is immediately evident if you measure negative pressure within the intake tube, something that anyone can do (but apparently no one other than me HAS actually done) with a no-cost water column manometer. Here is a link in which this is discussed in depth, Aussie humour notwithstanding:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_107824/article.html

patrickshelby said:
Fair enough!
So long tube headers and CJ cams will bring power up to 500HP? ;D

I'm sure that's 500 crank hp. Which is what I think the aluminator xs crate motor is rated for with cj intake

Just in case anyone is thinking about it, http://www.ebay.com/itm/161168897779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. Cheapest I could find. Hope all this will be worth it. Expensive HP, but this and the intake makes for nice, functional, underhood bling.

PS. Just noticed there's no warranty on it. I guess for me it's a gamble.

So, basically it all means:
- We can safely bolt these two items (CAI+TB) without a tune.
- It might show a power increase on a dyno.
- Nothing is really gained or felt in real world use (even at the track).
Just a way of spending 1K for show...

patrickshelby said:
So, basically it all means:
- We can safely bolt these two items (CAI+TB) without a tune.
- It might show a power increase on a dyno.
- Nothing is really gained or felt in real world use (even at the track).
Just a way of spending 1K for show...

until you save up another 1k for tune and then feel the power lol

Or tack on a few more $$ for the long tube's, mid pipe, then a tune. I'm looking for more mid then upper band power so the CJ intake is out for me. I think these will be my last 3 item's and I'll call it the day as far as the engine.

Guys... I saw a noticeable, and IMO significant gain from the CAI and TB, especially when paired together.

My car feels way more responsive and faster.

I cannot comment on track times. But who really cares about that when it makes a good deal more rwhp and feels much faster while being more fun to drive?

It's not $1k, "...just for bling." Does look nice though :)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
2012Boss302 said:
What are those little fins for? Air straightener? Has anyone cut these out in the process of porting a Boss Intake?

FWIW, if Accufab makes the 84.5 for Ford then it stands to reason they both will work with or without tune. Waiting on that magazine....
from the article in MMFF I believe it was part of the casting process. and they said removing them does nothing to gain power.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
2012Boss302 said:
What are those little fins for? Air straightener? Has anyone cut these out in the process of porting a Boss Intake?

FWIW, if Accufab makes the 84.5 for Ford then it stands to reason they both will work with or without tune. Waiting on that magazine....

When I installed the Ford Racing 84.5mm TB. I saw those fins too. The fins are located on both top and bottom of the manifold and the are symmetrical. They appear to me to direct air flow. As you look deeper into the plenum you will see it is not empty, there is a hump rising from the area of the runner tubes that blocks your vision of the top of each runner tube opening. The high point of this hump is in the middle of the plenum.

So I'm not sure but I suspect those fins, help with air flow direction. I also looked at the manifold opening with the TB installed and it is not a perfect match, but it's not all that bad. It was good enough in my opinion that I did not see the need to blueprint and grind the manifold. But that's me.

As for the Ford Racing 85.4mm TB, it does not need a PCM tune to be used on our Boss 302 "U" code engines. It was well worth the money in my opinion. I do not claim it adds HP, but I can tell you first hand that it is a noticeable improvement. I posted each improvement in my post listed below.

I am also running the OEM CAI box and intake tube. I installed the OEM intake tube without cutting it and was able to do so after soaking the end of the tube in very hot water for 10 minutes. Then after it squeezes on with the use of a radiator hose removal tool, (snap on), I had to hold it there for 5 minutes so it wouldn't pop off. Then I installed a 4.5" stainless steel hose clamp to keep it nicely in place. I did use a razor blade and trimmed off the hose clamp rubber tabs. See the photo below.

20131225_180114_zpsc8b1b7a4.jpg

One thing for sure; RRBoss302 has made quite an efficient advertising for both products to our crowd :)
Without even producing the results of both tests ;)

patrickshelby said:
One thing for sure; RRBoss302 has made quite an efficient advertising for both products to our crowd :)
Without even producing the results of both tests ;)

TB and CAI was the first thing I swapped on my other vehicle, then the exhaust. It makes it snappier off the line. This has been something I've considered long before this was thread started, I decided it's time to go for it. There been lot's of post on the different forums pertaining to TB's and CAI for the Boss over the past couple of years in case you weren't aware of it, and I don't think the people on BMO are that gullible to just to go out and buy something like this with out knowing what to expect. At least I hope not. I know I do my homework before jumping in to engine bolt on's.

TMO Supporting Vendors