The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alignment question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok so I decided to do my own toe alignment and bumpsteer since I'm swapping to Boss S control arms etc.

Trying to dial the toe in I've gotten to a dilemma where as close is I can get is like 3/32's out. That's toe out so 75 11/32 in the back of the tire and 75 14/32 on the front of the tire.

Any tricks to get a tiny bit of adjustment or send it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Smaller turns on the adjuster, or send it.

Well I swapped to a rod end style bumpsteer kit, so the knub has to be pointed up obviously.

Seems I'm bound by the threads considering if I just move the sleeve on the inner rod and the outer rod the overall length doesn't change.

Unless I'm missing something which is possible, I know 3/32nds isn't alot but I was hoping to get true zero lol.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
under the inner tie rod bellows should be another adjustment. You will need a new clamp to replace the one you cut off. Or it’s sticking out before the bellows #8. It’s been a while since I played with this.

1714509210359.png

under the inner tie rod bellows should be another adjustment. You will need a new clamp to replace the one you cut off. Or it’s sticking out before the bellows #8. It’s been a while since I played with this.

View attachment 94994
I might be misunderstanding what you are saying, but there is definitely NOT another adjustment under the boot on any car. The threaded part there is 100% to hold the inner tie rod on to the rack and it needs to be torqued and locked properly or else it will unscrew and kill you, or come apart when someone is aligning the car.

@Beermoney - I am a little confused here as well. Installed properly, the bump steer kit should allow you to get almost any toe reading you want. I typically try to use the original tie rod as the adjustment and not the rod end side. Can you thread the rod end further into the sleeve? Is the tie rod hitting it? Rarely, with some eBay level kits, I have to shorten the threads on either the tie rod or rod end to get enough adjustment, but when the bump kit is a fairly well known brand it is OK.

HTH,

DaveW

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying, but there is definitely NOT another adjustment under the boot on any car. The threaded part there is 100% to hold the inner tie rod on to the rack and it needs to be torqued and locked properly or else it will unscrew and kill you, or come apart when someone is aligning the car.

@Beermoney - I am a little confused here as well. Installed properly, the bump steer kit should allow you to get almost any toe reading you want. I typically try to use the original tie rod as the adjustment and not the rod end side. Can you thread the rod end further into the sleeve? Is the tie rod hitting it? Rarely, with some eBay level kits, I have to shorten the threads on either the tie rod or rod end to get enough adjustment, but when the bump kit is a fairly well known brand it is OK.

HTH,

DaveW

It's Maximum Motorsports kit. Definitely not hitting inside the sleeve.

Basically I'm at 3/32 off, and unless I'm missing something I have to turn the rod end or the sleeve (with rod end locked in place) a full 360° to get proper orientation, which for whatever reason I can't get to zero toe, like the thread pitch moves it too much for a small adjustment.

I'm no alignment guru, just using basic knowledge, but surely I'm missing something.

It's Maximum Motorsports kit. Definitely not hitting inside the sleeve.

Basically I'm at 3/32 off, and unless I'm missing something I have to turn the rod end or the sleeve (with rod end locked in place) a full 360° to get proper orientation, which for whatever reason I can't get to zero toe, like the thread pitch moves it too much for a small adjustment.

I'm no alignment guru, just using basic knowledge, but surely I'm missing something.
I am not sure what you are doing, but it is not right, :(

Tighten the jam nut on the rod end against the sleeve tightly. Screw this "assembly" on to the inner tie rod and put everything back together (if it is apart). Make your alignment adjustment one hundred percent by screwing the inner tie rod in or out of that locked sleeve and lock the jam nut against the sleeve when done. You can make adjustments finer than you can measure this way.

I hope this makes sense.

DaveW

I am not sure what you are doing, but it is not right, :(

Tighten the jam nut on the rod end against the sleeve tightly. Screw this "assembly" on to the inner tie rod and put everything back together (if it is apart). Make your alignment adjustment one hundred percent by screwing the inner tie rod in or out of that locked sleeve and lock the jam nut against the sleeve when done. You can make adjustments finer than you can measure this way.

I hope this makes sense.

DaveW

Definitely makes sense, ill retry tomorrow. I am correct though in there is no way to make less than a 360° adjustment?

Trying to get it dialed in before I do the bumpsteer on it. Maybe tomorrow will be my eureka moment 🤣

Definitely makes sense, ill retry tomorrow. I am correct though in there is no way to make less than a 360° adjustment?

Trying to get it dialed in before I do the bumpsteer on it. Maybe tomorrow will be my eureka moment 🤣
No, you do not have to make a 360 turn. On the photo below, you are turning the red part as little or as much as you need.

THe yellow part does not move. When you are done, hold the blue thing with a wrench and tighten the oem jam nut against it.

T1714522690575.png

DaveW

TMO Supporting Vendors