The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Black Sunshine Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
This is the Build Thread for Black Sunshine. Reply below.
Hello to all. Please provide feedback on my build. I am, to say the least, new to the road course/tracking a car. I bought a 2019 Mustang GT PP1 over a year ago because I simply feel in love with the look of the car and how it carries itself. The PP1 was just a bonus. I live near a drag strip and have done 6 passes, and did a track attack at the nearest track and was amazed at the handling and power of the car at speed. I felt the car belonged there and I simply enjoyed it way more than 12 seconds of sending it. My priorities are to get set time and learn how to track a car. Please judge my wheels and tires for the track, they are staggered. I do know that a squared set up is recommended, but I also will be driving on the street more than tracking at the moment. But please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Before you spend money on the go fast parts for the car, spend it on drivers training and safety. Unless there are challenges now, overheating etc. the car will out perform you for some time.
Better brake parts, a good helmet, harnesses and tires are a good start. Leave the 30-40 HP upgrades for after you can use the power and handling Ford has built into the car.
Find a solid instructor or group with instructors which can assist you. NASA, SCCA and other local groups would be a good start. Get some seat time, burn up some tires and then see what the car tells you it needs. Headers have always been an early mod for the 1/4 mile folks. Once you can cut a light and figure out the best way to engage your clutch at the drag strip, it’s all about parts. Have an automatic and there is even less to learn. Not so much when on track. A good instructor or a system like the Garmin Catalyst will get “You” faster.
Welcome to the site and the sport!!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Before you spend money on the go fast parts for the car, spend it on drivers training and safety. Unless there are challenges now, overheating etc. the car will out perform you for some time.
Better brake parts, a good helmet, harnesses and tires are a good start. Leave the 30-40 HP upgrades for after you can use the power and handling Ford has built into the car.
Find a solid instructor or group with instructors which can assist you. NASA, SCCA and other local groups would be a good start. Get some seat time, burn up some tires and then see what the car tells you it needs. Headers have always been an early mod for the 1/4 mile folks. Once you can cut a light and figure out the best way to engage your clutch at the drag strip, it’s all about parts. Have an automatic and there is even less to learn. Not so much when on track. A good instructor or a system like the Garmin Catalyst will get “You” faster.
Welcome to the site and the sport!!
Thank you for the guidance and advice. My wife and I will be attending the Dominion Raceway Track Attack (paced) this Sunday that is geared towards training, safety and getting to know their course. I've been looking at both the SCCA and NASA. SCCA seems best for our location. I appreciate it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cool name and great looking car. The squared setup is not essential when starting out. Looks like you already have some solid handling mods in place, so you can just spend the funds on entry fees and tires and brakes for now as you learn.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Cool name and great looking car. The squared setup is not essential when starting out. Looks like you already have some solid handling mods in place, so you can just spend the funds on entry fees and tires and brakes for now as you learn.
Thanks Stan! Yes, I was reading about brake pads and why they’re important for starting out. Hawk seems to be the popular brand. Any recommendations? I have the PP1 Brembos up front and stock in back.

TMO Supporting Vendors