The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Clutch Upgrade Part List Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Hey All!

New to this car and upgrading cars in general. I have a 2013 Boss 302 that’s stock except for a MGW Shifter. I’ve had my clutch stick to the floor and I can smell it when drag racing and autocrossing so I know the OEM clutch needs to go before I blow this transmission.

I wanted to make sure I have all the recommended parts and I’m not missing anything as I’ve read through the previous threads about the clutches/MT-82s. The info is a bit overwhelming to go through.

Exedy Hyper single w/ throw-out bearing/slave cylinder (I think this kit comes with a flywheel?):

Two parts I saw talked about in the forum and don’t fully understand if needed.

High rpm pulse ring: I saw this on Kohr and it states it’s to extend our RPM?

https://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=958

Clutch line: Any recommended clutch lines for the boss or no need to change?

And is there anything else I’m missing to get the job done at a shop? I know I have to tell the shop the car is going to need a relearn after the clutch install.

Also, anyone can recommend a shop within a few hours of Houston, TX by chance?

Thank you everyone for everything.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Hey All!

New to this car and upgrading cars in general. I have a 2013 Boss 302 that’s stock except for a MGW Shifter. I’ve had my clutch stick to the floor and I can smell it when drag racing and autocrossing so I know the OEM clutch needs to go before I blow this transmission.

I wanted to make sure I have all the recommended parts and I’m not missing anything as I’ve read through the previous threads about the clutches/MT-82s. The info is a bit overwhelming to go through.

Exedy Hyper single w/ throw-out bearing/slave cylinder (I think this kit comes with a flywheel?):

Two parts I saw talked about in the forum and don’t fully understand if needed.

High rpm pulse ring: I saw this on Kohr and it states it’s to extend our RPM?

Clutch line: Any recommended clutch lines for the boss or no need to change?

And is there anything else I’m missing to get the job done at a shop? I know I have to tell the shop the car is going to need a relearn after the clutch install.

Also, anyone can recommend a shop within a few hours of Houston, TX by chance?

Thank you everyone for everything.
Go with the MMR pulse ring. The FOrd Performance version is just a modified version of the OE stamped steel unit. MMR’s is machined for much tighter tolerances.

https://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=958

Yes on the stainless line while you have it apart. Ford Performance offers one.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Perfect, thank you. Are the ARP crankshaft bolts recommended also with the MMR pulse ring?
I use them for peace of mind. OE bolts are one time use where the ARP are reusable, so the cost difference usually works out over time.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
While you are in there, replace the pilot bearing also. It’s cheap to replace with the trans out and expensive later.
Got it, thank you, adding this to the list. This Ford Perfomrance one a recommended one or is there one you all recommend?

TMO Supporting Vendors