The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rebuild Trac-lok vs Torsen upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ny
Looks like torsen 2. But you really can't tell the difference of the t2 or t2r by looks . I find it easier to swap hole rear if I change gear ratios.
I had 3.73 rear 4.10 rear in car now and new 1 is 4.30 .
I called torsen up asked if they rebuild them or sold parts to rebuild them BIG NO! only part available is bolt that hold covers clap bar in! That's it. My feeling is 1k and not fixable wtf.
All my drag cars and road race boss 302 were Detroit lockers.

ny
New rear has t2r used in it set up already but 1 axle spins 1 way the other reverse spin?
2 other rears spin both axles same way even if some one hold other axle! They lock up. Not this unit. Also 1 imsa team only ran lockers in there fr500c and boss 302R cars.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The Torsen is really not ment for Drag racing as its in corners where is comes in to play. At least in my case, I have been racing my boss for 10 years and the OEM torsen is working fine with zero dramas.

100% on pinion depth. You aren't removing the pinion when you change the diff so the pinion depth won't change and that is what sets most of the pattern.

The backlash is set by the shims between the case and the diff carrier bearings. I don't think I have ever had a 8.8 need different shims from just a diff change. Assuming it is on the OEM ring and pinion, it will probably be thick one piece shims, but regardless make sure that the cap and shim from the left stays on the left and the cap and shim from the right stays on the right. And the shims will be tight to put back in, you might have to use a hammer to get it all back together...this is the preload on the carrier bearings.

However, you will want new diff/carrier/side bearings. You will never get the old ones off without damage and new are cheap.

Diff work is not super hard, just take your time and don't overcomplicate it. I'd put it at a 5-6 on a difficukty scale of 1-10

DaveW
There are several diff how tos posted by me you can search them. 7.5 build is almost identical

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Lot of good stuff there. Thanks.
I watched enough videos to know I didn’t want to get into overhauling the diff. I was not aware that just swapping the carrier with no gear changes is a possibility. It sounds about the same level of commitment as a TL rebuild. Only outside help I will need is pressing new bearings onto the carrier.

That said, I am still leaning to freshening up the TL. It sounds like there is some value in a good working TL relative to an open diff and even a much nicer Torsen. It’s cost effective, and there are plenty of other places to spend the money that would have gone to the new diff. Thanks,

You don't need a press to install those bearings, flip the old bearings over. Place them on top of the new bearings so you don't damage the new ones, and tap them on with a hammer.

TMO Supporting Vendors