The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CA to start checking for ECU tunes at smog checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
If the car passes with the Tune, whats the issue?
They’re not performing a “sniffer” or true tail pipe test on any late model vehicle with OBD-II. Currently they’re only checking the OBD monitors for readiness and a visual inspection of the emissions components. I guess the assumption is that the monitors could be functioning properly, however the mods could push the vehicle beyond acceptable tail pipe emissions.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Glad all my vehicles are registered out of state...
When I moved here from Hawaii I was pulled over (for my tint) and asked if I lived here. I told the officer I moved here a couple months ago and he issued me a ticket for not having current California registration.
He said you're required to have it re registered within 30 days. Seems they are hip to that registered out of the area trick and they don't think it's very funny.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
If the car passes with the Tune, whats the issue?
That's always been my argument. The CARB overlords are likely basing this all around the idea that the vehicle owner can change settings with a tuning tool whenever they want, which would allow the owner to easily choose a tune that wouldn't pass the test. Sure, that can happen, but that's not usually how it works.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Seems they are hip to that registered out of the area trick and they don't think it's very funny.
So long as you have an out of state license you might be okay with the out of sate registration trick - having a different state license and vehicle registration tips them off to what you're doing. I don't know how many people are willing to go to those lengths, since it causes issues with other things in every day life.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So long as you have an out of state license you might be okay with the out of sate registration trick - having a different state license and vehicle registration tips them off to what you're doing. I don't know how many people are willing to go to those lengths, since it causes issues with other things in every day life.
Especially in my case, no way he would go for "I'm just here on vacation, I'm driving home to Hawaii
next week".....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Are the guys who come up with these requirements so dumb that they didn't think through the Tune-Untune-Retune trick?
They can tell if the ECU has been flashed and re flashed. That's the problem.

In the V6L
Well, the article suggests that if the software on the vehicle is OEM, then it passes, regardless of how long it's been there. That said, it presumably has to pass an OBD monitor "ready" test and that could take a while.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
They can tell if the ECU has been flashed and re flashed. That's the problem.
I'd bet that matters more for warranty claims on blown engines. I'm guessing so long as it's an OEM tune, that's all that will matter for smog tests - how they'll be able to tell that what the stock tune is supposed to be, I don't know. It's probably easy to tell with the right scanner. I'll admit I haven't kept up with the ECU tuning process much lately. My old track car was OBD-1.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd bet that matters more for warranty claims on blown engines. I'm guessing so long as it's an OEM tune, that's all that will matter for smog tests - how they'll be able to tell that what the stock tune is supposed to be, I don't know. It's probably easy to tell with the right scanner. I'll admit I haven't kept up with the ECU tuning process much lately. My old track car was OBD-1.
From what I have heard, they can tell if the ecu has been re flashed....kind of like checking your browser history.
I believe that's pursuant to 2015 and later models.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
From what I have heard, they can tell if the ecu has been re flashed....kind of like checking your browser history.
I believe that's pursuant to 2015 and later models.
I'm not saying they can't - I'm just saying that it shouldn't matter to them. You could have bought the car from someone who tuned it and set it back to stock for all they know. Now if the smog shop shares the flash/re-flash data with CA, and the data shows WHEN you re-flashed it, and that it happened when you owned it, and that it was an aftermarket tune, and then that comes back to bite you down the road in some way, well hell, at that point I'd be pretty damned impressed that CA was able to actually pull that off with the way the state functions. :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm not saying they can't - I'm just saying that it shouldn't matter to them. You could have bought the car from someone who tuned it and set it back to stock for all they know. Now if the smog shop shares the flash/re-flash data with CA, and the data shows WHEN you re-flashed it, and that it happened when you owned it, and that it was an aftermarket tune, and then that comes back to bite you down the road in some way, well hell, at that point I'd be pretty damned impressed that CA was able to actually pull that off with the way the state functions. :)
Yeah, I dunno. I remember back in '14 that was the talk, don't buy a 15 because they can read the ECU flash history, get a 14 (which I did).

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Clarification....I think:

"The trick is not just switching the tune back to stock, but completely removing the handheld tuner signature and its access to the ECU".

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel