The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coyotes and TR3650s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who here has mated a coyote to a 3650 trans? Pros and cons? I’m building an 05 for track use only. The 3650 gearing and available .82 OD is appealing to me. This car will likely get a junkyard F150 motor, so not a power house and shifted around 6500rpm. I understand there are better options, but the simpler this build goes, the sooner I get it on track and I have no desire to fight with an MT82 like I have in my 2015.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Who here has mated a coyote to a 3650 trans? Pros and cons? I’m building an 05 for track use only. The 3650 gearing and available .82 OD is appealing to me. This car will likely get a junkyard F150 motor, so not a power house and shifted around 6500rpm. I understand there are better options, but the simpler this build goes, the sooner I get it on track and I have no desire to fight with an MT82 like I have in my 2015.
A 3650 is rated at 360 ft/lbs input torque, an MT82 is 400. Typical stock Coyote makes 360 ft/lbs at the tires which is about 405 ft/lbs input at the crankshaft. I would not imagine it fairing any better on track than a MT82. The 3160 out of the GT350 is somewhat better option, but more expensive.

A 3650 is rated at 360 ft/lbs input torque, an MT82 is 400. Typical stock Coyote makes 360 ft/lbs at the tires which is about 405 ft/lbs input at the crankshaft. I would not imagine it fairing any better on track than a MT82. The 3160 out of the GT350 is somewhat better option, but more expensive.
Agreed, it’s a lesser of two evils situation. A first gen F150 engine is rated at 380 crank, that’s not far off. I like that 3650 would live in 3rd and 4th and I wouldn’t have to fuss with 5th. I think it’s a waste to put a six speed in a race car. It’s a waste putting any of these in a race car but I’m at the mercy of whatever engineer decided a remote shifter was a good idea. I’d run an old T10 if it would fit.

Something I've come across a few times regarding torque input ratings is that they're often tested at a higher GVWR than what we're actually driving. The ratings are derived from input torque at a specific weight and you'll notice they're not Mustang specific. Logically a Magnum XL still has more torque carry capacity than a Getrag MT82, but something to consider is that the supposedly-insufficient MT82 rating may have been derived by simulating the weight of a 6,000 lb vehicle on the transmission dyno. Same goes for Tremec's ratings, since they have no idea if their transmissions are going to be used in a lightweight kit car or someone's muscle truck when they publish a rating so it's highly likely they generalize on the safe (high GVWR) end.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Aptos, CA
I have a 3650 behind my '02 swapped Gen1(Mustang) and track it. It holds up fine, except for one big bummer....it HATES shifts over 6-6500rpm's! I'm researching now to find out if the TKX would be a better mate, or if, the 3650 can be modified to handle that rpm. Otherwise, it's fine.

I have a 3650 behind my '02 swapped Gen1(Mustang) and track it. It holds up fine, except for one big bummer....it HATES shifts over 6-6500rpm's! I'm researching now to find out if the TKX would be a better mate, or if, the 3650 can be modified to handle that rpm. Otherwise, it's fine.
Thanks for sharing, that's my fear with the 3650. What clutch are you using?

As far as upgrading, you might give these guys a call. I've heard good things.
https://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/product/05-10-tr-3650-5-speed-transmission-stage-1/

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Something I've come across a few times regarding torque input ratings is that they're often tested at a higher GVWR than what we're actually driving. The ratings are derived from input torque at a specific weight and you'll notice they're not Mustang specific. Logically a Magnum XL still has more torque carry capacity than a Getrag MT82, but something to consider is that the supposedly-insufficient MT82 rating may have been derived by simulating the weight of a 6,000 lb vehicle on the transmission dyno. Same goes for Tremec's ratings, since they have no idea if their transmissions are going to be used in a lightweight kit car or someone's muscle truck when they publish a rating so it's highly likely they generalize on the safe (high GVWR) end.
This is an important point. I believe the MT82 was originally intended as a light truck transmission and was rated for a vehicle weight closer to 9000lbs.

TMO Supporting Vendors