The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Screenshot_20231026-124614_(1).png

S197 DeepImpactBlues Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

A Salvage Restoration Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welding the alternator bracket shouldn’t be a big deal I don’t think that little bit would get it hot enough to warp a head if your worried about it
Yeah, I don't think the head would warp either. My concern is more about the timing cover itself. Or the o-ring seal being heat damaged.

Wait, you sanded down the artistic custom "crackle finish" paint job? ;)

I can't begin to imagine how long that took, and the patience involved, but the result is very nice. Congratulations on the final product.

Wait, you sanded down the artistic custom "crackle finish" paint job? ;)

I can't begin to imagine how long that took, and the patience involved, but the result is very nice. Congratulations on the final product.
LOL!
I'm not sure if I should just be ultimately happy with it or seek treatment, I kept telling myself I must be crazy. Either way the trauma is over!

I went ahead and ordered a new timing cover, removed the cracked one, and learned that my replacement's shipping date has been delayed.

Very soon I'll be able to say I've actually installed a part on this car! Meanwhile a few more details to take care of.
One was that It appears the car had a leaking pinion seal and there was a greasy mess on much of the undercarriage, along with the expected accumulation of road dirt, etc. I removed the goo-covered gas tank and will use the tank from the other car, it's got over 100K less miles on the internals. Also removed the 3rd link, I won't need it when I transplant my Cortex Torque Arm.

20240813_074956.jpg
Not the home I'd like to put the motorsport goodies from the other car and some new stuff into.

20240813_075031.jpg

After a mixture of Simple Green and Elbow Grease things look much better now!

20240815_115156.jpg20240815_114902_HDR.jpg

Since you've dropped the gas tank, consider the fuel cell foam mod that @blacksheep-1 did to prevent slosh to the non-pump side saddle and fuel starvation at the pump under high cornering loads. Or there's another thread where someone put a small auxiliary pump on the non-pump side. And if you're planning E85 and bigger injectors down the road, maybe a mild pump upgrade as well (e.g., DW400).

Since you've dropped the gas tank, consider the fuel cell foam mod that @blacksheep-1 did to prevent slosh to the non-pump side saddle and fuel starvation at the pump under high cornering loads. Or there's another thread where someone put a small auxiliary pump on the non-pump side. And if you're planning E85 and bigger injectors down the road, maybe a mild pump upgrade as well (e.g., DW400).
I've been watching the postings regarding fuel slosh/starvation with keen interest. Thank you for reminding me! I've got so many things going on with this project that it slipped my mind. I just ordered a block of foam. My experience with this problem hasn't been as extreme as some others but I've always kept the tank over 1/2, and it still needs to be addressed, The fix @blacksheep-1 used seems reasonable and simple. With the tank out I have nothing to lose by trying it, and I might even avoid his "bloodbath"!

When I had my supercharged car (parts donor for this one) tuned by Shaun at AED for E85, he recommended I use a JMS pump booster. Not as solid of an upgrade as a better pump but it was working out fine until my wreck. This would be a great time go further but for now, since I'm already tuned for this steup and I need to stick to some semblance of a budget, I plan on just switching everything over as it was.

Progress! Not very significant but I reached a symbolic milestone. First parts from old car actually installed in the new. A morale booster! I replaced the entire old fuel system including the filler tube, evap stuff, all the hoses, and the tank with internals. And I installed some anti-slosh foam in the saddle area of the tank. Thanks @blacksheep-1 for a little advice. I got respect for any one doing this in-car, it was a little difficult even with the tank out! My elbows barely fit through the tank openings, if your forearms are longer... good luck!
20240818_142845_HDR.jpg20240826_115109_HDR.jpg20240827_112705_HDR.jpg
20240827_111827.jpg20240827_112141.jpg20240827_120214.jpg

I was curious about what the stock fuel transfer setup looked like, and wanted to ensure that my foam anti-slosh wasn't interfering with it. Since I have an unneeded fuel tank I took a peek:

20240828_110051~2.jpg
20240828_110607_HDR.jpg
The only external moving part is a spring loaded (check valve?), the blue piece. I feel confident that the foam will not interfere.
I tried removing this part during the foam install and am glad I didn't invest much time. If you can't get 2 hands and tools in there, it's not coming out. 4 plastic tabs lock it onto the mount.

Ok, I've got all my Cortex rear suspension out of the wreck, it'll go into this car as soon as I rebuild the axle.
I'm taking a plunge here and doing everything... my first time setting up rear end gears. The axles were starting to show early wear at the bearings previously so I had bought new axles, bearings, seals and a Torsen to replace the Trac Loc a couple of years ago but never had time to install them. I just ordered a Ford Performance ring and pinion set (3.31 out, 3.55 in ) and the M-4210- B2 install kit. I think this should be all the parts I need, am I missing something? After a little cleaning up this should be a completely new axle assembly. I was thinking powder coat untill I saw $$$, so it's going to get paint!

I never liked that Ford didn't see fit to spend a few bucks and paint the axle from the factory. The day I bought that car new I took a look underneath and it was already rusty. And it bothered me more when I installed the Cortex stuff... all that pretty hardware on a rusty axle. Not this time!

Somewhere around here I've got a new Ford Performance aluminum 1 piece driveshaft to mate up to it too.

20240902_164010_(1).jpg

I never liked that Ford didn't see fit to spend a few bucks and paint the axle from the factory. The day I bought that car new I took a look underneath and it was already rusty.
Don't know if it's true, but this is a story I heard. When a Ford corporate bean-counter balked at the Boss getting a painted axle, someone on the team explained, "Imagine 20 years from now, and a Boss is rolling across the block at Barrett-Jackson. The chassis cam in the floor shows a spotless engine and transmission going by overhead, then a rust-free exhaust with side pipes, and lastly a rusty axle." The bean-counter replied, "Paint it."

In my passion to get this done I didn't get pics of the process. After degreasing, a wire wheel attack of numerous sizes & shapes, a naval jelly bath, paint prep solvent, primer & 2K Satin Black paint, here we are:

20240912_160548_(1).jpg
20240912_160422_(1).jpg

Next... Install new ring & pinion, new Torsen, new axles & bearings

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel