The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 dragoon ‘21 Mach1 HP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Simple rule is with NASA you will need a point by in HPDE groups 1 and 2. Due to this many folks actually stay in Group 2 because they are just out to have fun and frankly have no desire for times, trophies ,etc. Once into Group 3-4 , depending on the Region, passing is more lenient, but then the drivers involved had to pass into that level. Pure Open Passing is often relegated only to Time Trialers who have gone through the 4 levels and been passed forward to the Timed Group -- for Class Trophies, etc. There are plenty of folks who, again, stay in groups 3 and 4 , are exceptionally good drivers, and they enjoy a bit more openness for passing, but they also realize they are with faster drivers who have also gotten to said higher HPDE levels.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I'm one of those that prefer to stay behind. I'm currently classified in NASA HPDE 3...even though I was offered promotion to HPDE 4. Frankly, I would just be in the way of most of the HPDE 4 cars...frustrating for them and for me, as I prefer not to drive in my mirrors. I race W2W in vintage and ChampCar with no passing rules...it's racing. However, it's understood there is NO touching and you damn well better be able to handle your car and be able to predict what the other guy is going to do. Most of us know each other and have raced together for years...so it's relatively safe. I agree the lack of action by the hosting club speaks volumes and would have been my exit as well. Too much at stake...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It is even worse when the management of the hosting club are the biggest offenders. I think we all have clubs we choose not to run with. NASA Great Lakes is probably the best group I have seen at developing drivers they are a step above anyone else I’ve run with. I just wish more of there events were closer to me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Those problems tend to "resolve themselves" over time; hopefully nobody gets hurt during that process. Give people like that a wide berth. Sucks you have to limit your options and take care because of someone else's inadequacies.
Thanks for understanding. When I was a novice/beginner, my instructor(s) always said your head needs to be on a swivel, eyes up & look for the next corner. I strived over the years to be a good competent driver staying out of the way while having fun. It’s just the last year or two that more car people have come to the track & think they know all after 3 events and have the skill set to be in intermediate. I still have fun but my attention lately has been diverted from my focus on my skills improving to looking out for “that guy”.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
This behavior and attitude will not be tolerated at NASA events. The action on track could be forgiven if the driver owned up to it and was reprimanded by the chief instructor. Tha fact that the organizers did not act, and the attitude the driver had with your wife are two big reasons not to drive with them again. Chin is another group that will not tolerate this kind of stuff.
Exactly, that’s why after discussing with @Vettel-ish about NASA, we’re looking hard at their events. I’m a Chin member and have yet to attend one of their events. We had a 2 day at Barber last year with them but had to postpone until this year, hopefully the September dates work for us this year. During the registration process, I sent them my track resume with 48 event days under my belt, Chin reviewed it and still have me going out with an instructor in the beginner group for an evaluation & I’m glad that process played out that way.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I'm one of those that prefer to stay behind. I'm currently classified in NASA HPDE 3...even though I was offered promotion to HPDE 4. Frankly, I would just be in the way of most of the HPDE 4 cars...frustrating for them and for me, as I prefer not to drive in my mirrors. I race W2W in vintage and ChampCar with no passing rules...it's racing. However, it's understood there is NO touching and you damn well better be able to handle your car and be able to predict what the other guy is going to do. Most of us know each other and have raced together for years...so it's relatively safe. I agree the lack of action by the hosting club speaks volumes and would have been my exit as well. Too much at stake...
Way too much at stake, cars can be fixed or replaced, my skin sack that’s getting up there in age, not so much.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Exactly, that’s why after discussing with @Vettel-ish about NASA, we’re looking hard at their events. I’m a Chin member and have yet to attend one of their events. We had a 2 day at Barber last year with them but had to postpone until this year, hopefully the September dates work for us this year. During the registration process, I sent them my track resume with 48 event days under my belt, Chin reviewed it and still have me going out with an instructor in the beginner group for an evaluation & I’m glad that process played out that way.
If you have never been on track at Barber, that’s probably why. Coming up the hill out of 3 into 4 will get you in trouble in a hurry. I would say anyone that has never been to Barber needs an instructor regardless of experience…at least for a session or two. Not only for the sake of you and your car, but for your wallet. If you break something…anything at Barber, YOU pay to fix it…before you leave the track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
If you have never been on track at Barber, that’s probably why. Coming up the hill out of 3 into 4 will get you in trouble in a hurry. I would say anyone that has never been to Barber needs an instructor regardless of experience…at least for a session or two. Not only for the sake of you and your car, but for your wallet. If you break something…anything at Barber, YOU pay to fix it…before you leave the track.
Agreed, I have yet to have the pleasure of the Barber track. My son has been there with his track bike about 11 times and has been telling me, I need to go there. Awesome track. Thanks for your insight Patrick.

Mark............Busy thread today, I see.........going back many posts........I admire your driveway!!!!!!!!!!!.........Mine has a Boss 302 and a Nissan Juke.........I like yours a little better.......I'm having a snow shoveling party here late Sunday if you're around...........LOL..........................By the way, I walk the line also.........................................

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I run with NASA mid Atlantic and NASA Northeast. Mid Atlantic is doing a joint event with Great Lakes at Pitt Race in July. Plan is to go so hope to see you there if you can make it. I know it’s a bit further out.
As a DE2/3 driver I am a fan of NASA’s structure. My only wish is for more sessions but I understand it’s not possible because of the TT and race sessions.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
When at Barber,make sure you get to the museum. Also notice the vintage Lotus F1 frame that is actually brazed together,great workmanship.
Oh yeah, scheduling 2 days minimum for the museum !! Track on Saturday and Sunday and museum on Monday and Tuesday for sure. My son spent 3 days there 2 years ago. After seeing these photos, who would not want to enter this palace.

68736920446__37D2AC9D-AA84-43B1-90F3-F56E2C1F76AE.jpeg

68737355696__79D44414-FE70-4831-9EF7-11CCD5CACAE7.jpeg

68737512133__501EBD3E-A6F3-449D-9F4D-F06FD38362CE.jpeg

68737526573__1119CD20-F001-4EA7-99FD-D268D3E3401A.jpeg

IMG_6619.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang , I think that is the weekend NASA is at Motorsports Park Hastings ( racemph.com ) for the Nebraska State Fair Grand Prix. Racing , Time Trials and HPDEs, and I will be Instructing so won't make Blackhawk. I really want to get there this year as I had planned on doing that in 23 and trading the Mach 1 off meant I missed the dates.

I run with NASA mid Atlantic and NASA Northeast. Mid Atlantic is doing a joint event with Great Lakes at Pitt Race in July. Plan is to go so hope to see you there if you can make it. I know it’s a bit further out.
As a DE2/3 driver I am a fan of NASA’s structure. My only wish is for more sessions but I understand it’s not possible because of the TT and race sessions.
I'll have to put that on my calendar and if available try to stop out and say hi. I'd also like to check out the NASA structure.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel