The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ecoboost 2.3L questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
I have a few questions - looking into building an Ecoboost Mustang for time attack.

1. Weight reduction - aside from the obvious items (removing rear seats, interior, etc.), what particular things can be done to reduce weight? The reason I'm looking at the Ecoboost platform is primarily because of the weight savings over the V8.

2. 2.3 engines - availability of parts and motors is key. I don't understand if all of the 2.3 Ecoboost engines I see are the same or can be swapped. Let's look at a few examples:
- Bronco/Ranger
- Ford Performance 2.3L crate motor
- Focus RS
- Mustang 2015+, 2018+
- S650

These are all vehicles/engines that are described identically, as a "2.3L Ecoboost" and I have found no identifiers signifying a difference. Are they all exactly the same? Someone please provide a breakdown of the differences if not.

3. Usage of the Mustang Ecoboost on track - there is essentially no results on this forum for Ecoboost, 2.3L, or similar searches. Is it that rare of a platform or is that community elsewhere? Is there something I'm missing here?

There are a number of variations between 2.3 engines. Not only within s550 years but also the RS engine has some differences. Not sure about bronco and crate motor. What specifically do you want to know?

my car was originally Ecoboost, I chose it for the balance and because I like turbo engines. Long story short the engine felt underpowered for the chassis weight and power fall off in higher RPms even with a tune and a bigger turbo annoyed me. I was almost always short shifting to keep in some power. So when my head gasket blew (somewhat common with these engines, even stock) I fixed that and swapped in a coyote. But that’s just me, it depends how you plan to use the car.

a couple Ecoboost mustangs have apparently won a national autox class.

and Chuck bodileau on here races his Ecoboost in Canada. He has a build thread. A couple other guys as well on here with ecoboosts.

I do miss the torque down low of my Ecoboost, better than my coyote.

I would call Phoenix Performance in PA. They have won 2 national championships with this car, and probably would've won a couple more, but they were legislated off the planet via BoP

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
There are a number of variations between 2.3 engines. Not only within s550 years but also the RS engine has some differences. Not sure about bronco and crate motor. What specifically do you want to know?
I want to know what all the variations are. Surely there must be some documentation somewhere?

I want to know what all the variations are. Surely there must be some documentation somewhere?

Theres a bunch of info scattered across forums and Facebook groups. And plenty of postulation without support to go along with it. So no single source of truth unfortunately.

That said, if you’re looking to build a track car from one I’m going to presume you’ll start with an Ecoboost mustang. If so, there are not enough differences or major upgrades/fixes across the s550 years to choose one over the others. Get whatever you want in terms of the rest of the car.

Also one way to shed weight that’s Ecoboost specific is deleting the balance shafts in the engine. It’s 18lbs and about half of that is rotating mass spinning at 2x engine speed. Doesn’t hurt reliability and has the same effect as a lightweight flywheel. Also frees up room in the oil pan for an extra 3/4 of a quart of oil.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
Theres a bunch of info scattered across forums and Facebook groups. And plenty of postulation without support to go along with it. So no single source of truth unfortunately.

That said, if you’re looking to build a track car from one I’m going to presume you’ll start with an Ecoboost mustang. If so, there are not enough differences or major upgrades/fixes across the s550 years to choose one over the others. Get whatever you want in terms of the rest of the car.

Also one way to shed weight that’s Ecoboost specific is deleting the balance shafts in the engine. It’s 18lbs and about half of that is rotating mass spinning at 2x engine speed. Doesn’t hurt reliability and has the same effect as a lightweight flywheel. Also frees up room in the oil pan for an extra 3/4 of a quart of oil.

I find it hard to believe that if a 2.3L Ecoboost engine shows up at the door of a Ford service department, they would have no way of identifying whether it came from a 2016 Ford Focus RS or a 2024 Ford Ranger. If they are all the same, then of course that might be the case. But if they are different as you suggest, then I guarantee Ford knows what the differences are. And if Ford knows, then why is that information being kept from us?

TMO Supporting Vendors