The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Oil Cooler - Are these little modification worth the time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
First off i must acknowledge that you guys are a bad influence. In a good way, not a bank balance way.

Like the rest of my car i'm trying to avoid potential disasters by doing everything as well as possible first time round. The buy once, cry once deal.
So one monster oil cooler.
Setrab 960 all the way from the USA caus no one seems to stock anything that big in Australia that i could find.
IMG_20240801_190204019_HDR.jpg
Ford Performance engine take off for -12 fittings. Realise there may need to be some grinding to get the block outlet to line up and transition smoothly. Been reading a lot from you guys doing this before me and post the problems.

M-6881-M50A.JPG
New lower radiator hose to delete the water oil heat exchanger. The only part i managed to buy direct in Australia. Fedex and UPS know me by name now.
IMG_20240801_190140165.jpg
Improved Racing remote filter and thermostat with -12 fittings
env-171_9_lrg.jpg
While looking through the thermostat i saw a few items that are a function of simple production machining.
Is it worth spending the time and rounding the sharp edges ( red arrows) and removing the excess threads in the housing to just clean up the oil flow.
OIL MOD 1.jpg
Machining down the protruding threaded tube from the filter attachment.
OIL MOD 2.jpg

Figure it cant hurt, assuming i clean the crap out of it afterwards. Anything to give an engine a fighting chance. It may be stock but i will push it to its limits.
It is only going to cost me time unless anyone has some reasons why its not worth it.
I work on electrical systems so the level of detail required for engine work is a total blank for me. I know clean is good, cleaner is better.
Thanks

Regarding the improved racing thermostat and remote oil filter.
I use improved racing and they definitely know there stuff when it come to oil flow. I would leave it especially since you have an12 ports.
This is just my personal opinion

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel