The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
If that was in Great Lakes region, it would have been a HPDE3 group, at best. The two days I did with them were fantastic. In HPDE 3 you practice single file restarts as well as double file restarts. After you have done it once, they add HPDE 4 students. These guys shot up the middle of the double file restarts to give you a taste of what you should be learning to do.
The group you were in looked like a Hot Hatch club on a Sunday drive. There in lies the differences within NASA regions. Some are extremely serious about teaching and learning the craft, others are a club with "Exclusive" memberships within the membership.
I will second this as a NASA Great Lakes member. In HPDE4 we practice full race drills all the time. Group is open passing with point bys advised but not required. We have downloads every Saturday and Sunday session. If there are issues then they are openly discussed, no going behind the back stuff. Our Group leader is a racer and watches every session from different vantage points around the tracks and also jumps in random Instructor cars, joining the group on track. If open passing is scaring people in Group 4, there should be 2 Group 2's. Even our Group 3 has many capable, situationally aware drivers, who as TMSBOSS states, get thrown in with Group 4 for 3 wide start drills which then turns into a multi car passing fest as the faster cars try and work their way through the field. I personally still give point bys to faster traffic and also use other hand signals and flashing high beams to let cars I am approaching know I'm coming from a distance. Some, not all drivers in small light cars such as Miatas and S2000s have been told that they can keep Mustangs behind in the corners and then wait for the straights to let us past. This is dangerous IMHO and they get very surprised when we are able to roll around them on the outside, under power in faster turns, Or take the inside line under braking on entry. The adage that "if you see a car suddenly appear that wasn't there the lap before is MUCH faster than you" needs to be what is instilled in even experienced drivers of slower cars. In TT and Race we are gridded by lap times, though impractical for HPDE, drivers know which cars and drivers are the quickest after the first 2 morning sessions on Day 1 and should line up accordingly. Find a friend(s) with similar speed and go and have fun. Then be aware of the front of the pack whou after 5-6 laps will be around to lap you. It is not an insult and there is no shame or glory but it is a chance to practice race craft and get better. I run with friends in the same ST2 class race cars that are 1-2 seconds quicker than me at many tracks, some places I can be quicker, but I follow their lines and don't overdrive or block them when they are measurably quicker. Sorry for the rant but the whole point of NASA HPDE4 is to prepare drivers for Competition, if getting passed, quickly and suddenly, scares you, then you are in the wrong group and should be discussing moving back to HPDE3, not whining about the bad man in the white Mustang who stomped my Corvette on 4 year old, 20 cycle Hoosiers.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
....and exactly why I went to Time Trials ( and not HPDEs ) after selling my W2W car, because I do not want to drive around a bunch of drivers without situational awareness, and since we can still pass anywhere we like in W2W, it keeps folks paying attention both forwards and back.
I understand what Boone is saying, but as an Instructor I find the biggest issue among those on track is staying alert to others not just ahead but behind. That is part of the reason I don't feel Fab didn't anything wrong and I commend all the TMO members who expressed this. I won't go into my typical long winded dissertation but the entire matter can be summed up in a short sentence;

Your number one responsibility when you go on track is responsibility to yourself and others and that means " Situational Awareness " is your main focus and often a skill you need to perfect!

I push this area more than any other when Instructing, because it seems to often be put on the back burner to braking, apexing a corner, etc. Nuff, said , as everyone else did an admirable job stating Fab's passes were fabulous!

Last edited:

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
Now put yourself in a soft top.... And it doesn't have to be high decibels to approach and then be right at your window and then gone. The no sound and then extra sound in an instant as full throttle passes can make some folks jump.
if a car driving by you on a racetrack makes you jump, then you dont belong in the highest, non competitive class available across the states in a nation wide organization

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
I will second this as a NASA Great Lakes member. In HPDE4 we practice full race drills all the time. Group is open passing with point bys advised but not required. We have downloads every Saturday and Sunday session. If there are issues then they are openly discussed, no going behind the back stuff. Our Group leader is a racer and watches every session from different vantage points around the tracks and also jumps in random Instructor cars, joining the group on track. If open passing is scaring people in Group 4, there should be 2 Group 2's. Even our Group 3 has many capable, situationally aware drivers, who as TMSBOSS states, get thrown in with Group 4 for 3 wide start drills which then turns into a multi car passing fest as the faster cars try and work their way through the field. I personally still give point bys to faster traffic and also use other hand signals and flashing high beams to let cars I am approaching know I'm coming from a distance. Some, not all drivers in small light cars such as Miatas and S2000s have been told that they can keep Mustangs behind in the corners and then wait for the straights to let us past. This is dangerous IMHO and they get very surprised when we are able to roll around them on the outside, under power in faster turns, Or take the inside line under braking on entry. The adage that "if you see a car suddenly appear that wasn't there the lap before is MUCH faster than you" needs to be what is instilled in even experienced drivers of slower cars. In TT and Race we are gridded by lap times, though impractical for HPDE, drivers know which cars and drivers are the quickest after the first 2 morning sessions on Day 1 and should line up accordingly. Find a friend(s) with similar speed and go and have fun. Then be aware of the front of the pack whou after 5-6 laps will be around to lap you. It is not an insult and there is no shame or glory but it is a chance to practice race craft and get better. I run with friends in the same ST2 class race cars that are 1-2 seconds quicker than me at many tracks, some places I can be quicker, but I follow their lines and don't overdrive or block them when they are measurably quicker. Sorry for the rant but the whole point of NASA HPDE4 is to prepare drivers for Competition, if getting passed, quickly and suddenly, scares you, then you are in the wrong group and should be discussing moving back to HPDE3, not whining about the bad man in the white Mustang who stomped my Corvette on 4 year old, 20 cycle Hoosiers.
the nasa norcal hpde 4 instructor (Albert) echos a lot of this, but also drills into you that you are not racing in group 4 and that you need to be courteous. if enough drivers complain about it, he will talk about it to the driver(s) in question or at fault, but there wasnt really anything Sal did outside of making people feel some type of way about themselves. in all of my videos that i post you can see how often im looking around to see who is near me or not. Albert also tells drivers all the time to slow down and look ahead. heading down the esses, look at start finish. heading in to the carrousel, look at turn 2/3. are there cars that you see that werent there before, but are now? If you cant do anything but focus on what is directly in front of you, then you shouldnt be in a higher class/group

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
the nasa norcal hpde 4 instructor (Albert) echos a lot of this, but also drills into you that you are not racing in group 4 and that you need to be courteous. if enough drivers complain about it, he will talk about it to the driver(s) in question or at fault, but there wasnt really anything Sal did outside of making people feel some type of way about themselves. in all of my videos that i post you can see how often im looking around to see who is near me or not. Albert also tells drivers all the time to slow down and look ahead. heading down the esses, look at start finish. heading in to the carrousel, look at turn 2/3. are there cars that you see that werent there before, but are now? If you cant do anything but focus on what is directly in front of you, then you shouldnt be in a higher class/group
I am programmed not to look at cars, but look at holes. Cars are just obstacles of which I need to avoid. If you look at a car, the wall or whatever, you tend to go toward it. (or follow it) It always amazes me how some people can relay the position of every car on every lap and what happened when...(those are also typically the guys who know everything about their gauges on track) I don't occupy my mind with any of that. In a weird way, think of the star ship enterprise....they aren't on some joy ride taking in the scenery, they program a path between the stars (obstacles) hit warp drive and boom they are gone....whatever was back there is irrelevant. Situations like HPDE I am forced to tiptoe around, and I try very hard not to surprise anyone, but no matter what I do its always wrong, even if its not.
I was just in the wrong place with the wrong people, I won't make that mistake again.
No more HPDE for me.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The problem Capn. Fab is the Tracknovicinians have got " No Power," so they drive warped, yet have no drive, you gotta remember you are piloting a Starship, many are just wandering around on a CruiseShip!

You explanation of driving for holes or telegraphed lines is what I will miss not running W2W , because understanding those concepts, driving with focus, is what allows some of us old farts to still compete successfully because we are now in the period of our life where we may often have reflux, but we find ourselves deficient in reflex--ha.

Don't be so hard on yourself, and things will look better from now on since you made a personal pledge not to ever run HPDE again, ha.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
i mean, its called HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING experience/education/ehhh-why are you here?
expect people to drive fast, but nail in the coffin here

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I am programmed not to look at cars, but look at holes. Cars are just obstacles of which I need to avoid.
That's a good way of saying it. And I'm thinking you're not really looking at the holes now, but planning on where the holes will be. It's about race craft, rather than just driving, but that's what the drivers in higher groups should be learning, right?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That's a good way of saying it. And I'm thinking you're not really looking at the holes now, but planning on where the holes will be. It's about race craft, rather than just driving, but that's what the drivers in higher groups should be learning, right?
One would hope so....but apparently not.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Carving away at it bit by bit. 2020 vs. 2022
Car with fuel, less driver.

9168709B-8ABB-46D0-9922-187EE723DF9B.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Got Rubber?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
I use Aero Belly Soap. It's for getting the rubber, oil and exhaust gunk off of aircraft. Best racecar cleaner I have ever used! Just don't let it dry out on paint...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Frankenstang graces the pages of: www.onallcylinders.com

Street legal? Emissions legal? 20 min install?
Plus I thought Meziere's dont work for road racing?

Other than that, nice press, you marketing slut! ha

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Street legal? Emissions legal? 20 min install?
Plus I thought Meziere's dont work for road racing?

Other than that, nice press, you marketing slut! ha
Hey, I didn’t do this, I was selected. I just saw the article yesterday.
I get a lot of people asking questions and sometimes they are writers looking to do an article. Especially when I’m doing something you’re not supposed to be able to do. Then poof…..it’s in print. I could not count the amount of people who said there was absolutely no way you could use an electric water pump on track……and here we are, killing it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
That part is not about my car….
I figured as much. I was just kidding about all of it. You are killing it. Its a wicked car, looks and speed.

I'm just ornery, tired and sleep deprived. This is my kid Saturday night #47. For a little car, its still just as much work.

feature start.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I figured as much. I was just kidding about all of it. You are killing it. Its a wicked car, looks and speed.

I'm just ornery, tired and sleep deprived. This is my kid Saturday night #47. For a little car, its still just as much work.

View attachment 76616
I love it.

TMO Supporting Vendors