The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT4 Wing Chord Length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone know the chord length of the GT500 wing? Those are supposed to be similar if not the same right? Trying to see which aftermarket wing is most similar to the GT4 one

the wings are nothing alike....the gt4 is huge in comparison.

Whatever it is, I'm sure IMSA has had their hands all over it..
mustang
la4maXRl.jpg

heKoY7kl.jpg

BGGVI23l.jpg

astin
RMawRgQl.jpg

yZjbXXol.jpg

all that being said, I'm sure it's available in a "knock off" from the supplier, try Multimatic

I've looked all over for that FIA spec and cannot find it. If it was me, I'd just drop a dime to multimatic and see if they would send you the spec for it.

Looks way bigger to me than the cftp 500...... god i hate how much i love the gt4 shelby

View attachment 63418View attachment 63421
That's what wide-angle short focal length lenses/cameras do, exaggerate perceived space and the sizes of objects (opposite of how super telephoto lenses compress space). If you just looked at the 1st and 4th picture you'd think they were entirely different sizes, even though the same wing is pictured.

The uprights are different (lower on the GT500 and located differently on the decklid) but that's it. The wing blade element is exactly the same part.

Just surfing the web and noticed this. The GT4 upright base is located in the exact same location as the CFTP upright base. The wing itself....CFTP originates in China and the GT4 originates in Markham, Ontario. I run the Multimatic piece on my '20 GT500. A bit more "industrial" than the OEM street unit but somewhat more robust as well.

5P1A1291%20copyg-5K.jpg

Just surfing the web and noticed this. The GT4 upright base is located in the exact same location as the CFTP upright base. The wing itself....CFTP originates in China and the GT4 originates in Markham, Ontario. I run the Multimatic piece on my '20 GT500. A bit more "industrial" than the OEM street unit but somewhat more robust as well.

How did you get your hands on the Multimatic one?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Bringing this one back up. Anderson is making a 'high profile' version of their cftp replica wing. They are available now. Sits 4" higher than the cftp wing @ 9-5/8"
Got it on my car and will test it at this weekends time trial.
52809077433_7331c87d7a_z.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
How adjustable is it
Not very, only 2 positions, about 0-5 degrees AOA. This is at 0. The car felt more planted, but I could not improve on my PBs yesterday. Still stuck within the same second on that track config, even after wholesale spring,bar, wheel, tire changes. Nut behind the wheel needs adjustment!
52821965359_b8c243b98e_c.jpg

Last edited:
The wing blade element is exactly the same part
This thread was recently brought back to my attention and I wanted to speak to the above comment. The airfoil sections of the GT4 wing and the OEM production CFTP wing are not the exact same. They are similar but not the exact same pieces.

I mentioned it up above but again, the GT4 wing is produced in Markham, Ontario by Multimatic. IIRC, they started producing them around 2017, well before the GT500 was a production vehicle. Multimatic bid on the contract to produce the CFTP wing for use on the upcoming 2020 GT500 but was unsuccessful. That contract was awarded to Action Composites. While they are considered a global company, for all intents and purposes, the CFTP wing is produced in China. Here's a sticker that you'll sometimes see hidden on a CFTP wing.

1615820929036.png

Action Composites is a fairly large company that is indeed capable of some high quality hardware.

The wings are imported to Michigan through Polytec. The OEM CFTP uprights are offshore composites as well. Multimatic's are a two piece aluminum assembly welded together to make them a single piece.

As to the airfoil, the Multimatic units are foam filled with machined aluminum inserts on each end. The inserts allow the end plates to be bolted together. This is not how the CFTP end plates attach.

z5P1A0233.jpg

So two different companies from two different countries produce a "similar" airfoil.

If it matters, the Anderson Composites airfoil is hollow. Here's a photo of one I cut in half. The ends are cut square and the plates are bonded directly to the perimeter of the airfoil.

20220408_153331.jpg

Anderson's wing and uprights are produced offshore as well.

For anyone interested, there is a company in southern California that is nearing release of a high quality carbon fiber upright that matches the height of the GT4 upright and is direct fit and match for the decklid and the CFTP wing. They have been in development for the better part of this year. They will be manufactured in California. I'll try to get more photos when I can but for now here's a photo of the owner's own GT500 with raised uprights.

IMG_20230928_231605.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel