The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
those desk clamps are really nice. I've spent too much at HF recently, but I think I need a set of those.
I got them based on them being recommended in HPA course on wiring, but I've found a ton of use for them already. highly recommend getting a pair or two. Only $20 or so too.

TX
Sneak peak at the progress I made this weekend. Still need to take more detailed pics and document everything, but all harnesses are done. Finished up the main engine and intake harnesses

Intake will still need to be tucked up on the manifold a bit. Working on some 3D printed brackets that get them up and out of the way.
IMG_2459.jpg

Main engine harness is still a bit messy, but everything came out great. Waiting to recover the main bulkhead boots until I've tested it. Also note how the intake comes off with the harness still on it. Only need to remove a single bulkhead
IMG_2463.jpg

This shows why I want to get the manifold harness up a bit more to clean it. Bit messy this way
IMG_2462.jpg

Also finished up the center console and ordered the last icons for the key pad - steering mode, tc mode, left/right signals, interior light (dome light), start/stop, and PIT mode. Sat in the car and spent about 5 mins just day dream. That shifter and Bosch ABS adjustment knob are just so race car. So pumped

IMG_2469.jpg

Also got some 3d printed mounts worked out for the Penske reservoirs. This 3d printer has been a game changer. Working on some fire suppression nozzles now

IMG_2461.JPG

Not shown was all the install of the fire suppression system which is 95% there - just waiting on some parts. Will then document and share that install.

I've also finished up all the wiring except for one connector for the keypad and the power cable to the PDM - somehow I forgot to order 4awg supply power to the PDM. Once I get that later this week - we'll be go for a power up

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
And the printer I bought takes all of the guess work out of the printer part - I don't have to tweak anything. I just send it the file and hit printer. its wild
What printer did you get? I've been curious about them for a year or two, but thought they were a bit too bleeding-edge tech and finicky to use. Have they finally gotten user-friendly at the consumer level? And what software are you using?

TX
What printer did you get? I've been curious about them for a year or two, but thought they were a bit too bleeding-edge tech and finicky to use. Have they finally gotten user-friendly at the consumer level? And what software are you using?
I came in completely blind and asked @5.2 liters of democracy for a recommendation since he'd been printing stuff for me. I got the X1 Carbon Combo based on his recommendation and its damn near idiot proof. I've done nothing but pull it out of the box, remove some screws and packing stuff for shipping, load the AMS with filament and send it a print wireless from my computer. It's only had one bad print and that was on me for not properly cleaning the hot plate. I've printed about 20 models on it now. Just printed this one tonight for my fire suppression nozzles.

IMG_2475.jpeg

That's with zero adjustment in the software. I just tell the printer software what filament to use and it does the rest.

I'm designing in Fusion 360 (taking the HP Academy course on it designing in CAD - it's very good, highly recommend) and then printing using Bambu's software Bambu Studio

I'll be fully transparent - I balked at the price when I first saw it. But I am fortunate that my company gives a bit of cash each year to invest in personal growth/development stuff and I was able to use it on this. Now that I've used, I'd pay full price in a heart beat. It's so easy. Easily the best tool acquisition i've had in the last couple of years outside of a welder (hard to beat a welder, let's be honest).

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I was just looking at that after some Googling. It is pricy, but I think it's at the "you get what you pay for" level and not entirely out of reach. I like the price point of the P1 series, but the X1C has the lidar sensor and can run CF-infused filament, which is something I'd probably want to be able to do for added strength on race parts. I just finished watching a couple YouTube videos from Adam Savage's (of Mythbuster fame) Tested channel -- he's got two X1Cs and seems to love them, and you can't go too wrong with a tool recommendation from a guy with an accurate 1:1 scale tattoo of a ruler on his forearm.

TX
I was just looking at that after some Googling. It is pricy, but I think it's at the "you get what you pay for" level and not entirely out of reach. I like the price point of the P1 series, but the X1C has the lidar sensor and can run CF-infused filament, which is something I'd probably want to be able to do for added strength on race parts. I just finished watching a couple YouTube videos from Adam Savage's (of Mythbuster fame) Tested channel -- he's got two X1Cs and seems to love them, and you can't go too wrong with a tool recommendation from a guy with an accurate 1:1 scale tattoo of a ruler on his forearm.
If you end up diving into the rabbit hole and have any questions, let me know. I can provide a n00b perspective on things

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you end up diving into the rabbit hole and have any questions, let me know. I can provide a n00b perspective on things
This also perks my interest...haven't modeled in 3D in a long time but how hard can it be? Question is do I have stuff I would actually use this for HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

In the V6L
I came in completely blind and asked @5.2 liters of democracy for a recommendation since he'd been printing stuff for me. I got the X1 Carbon Combo based on his recommendation and its damn near idiot proof. I've done nothing but pull it out of the box, remove some screws and packing stuff for shipping, load the AMS with filament and send it a print wireless from my computer. It's only had one bad print and that was on me for not properly cleaning the hot plate. I've printed about 20 models on it now. Just printed this one tonight for my fire suppression nozzles.

View attachment 93007

That's with zero adjustment in the software. I just tell the printer software what filament to use and it does the rest.

I'm designing in Fusion 360 (taking the HP Academy course on it designing in CAD - it's very good, highly recommend) and then printing using Bambu's software Bambu Studio

I'll be fully transparent - I balked at the price when I first saw it. But I am fortunate that my company gives a bit of cash each year to invest in personal growth/development stuff and I was able to use it on this. Now that I've used, I'd pay full price in a heart beat. It's so easy. Easily the best tool acquisition i've had in the last couple of years outside of a welder (hard to beat a welder, let's be honest).
I learned CAD design on a Calma machine in 1984. Now, I have both e-Machine Shop and Fusion 360, and most of the special stuff for the car came from e-Machine Shop, but a couple of complex parts were machined for me by a shop in China.

One thing you might think about on the fire-suppression brackets - how fire-tolerant are they? Could they fail when they're needed the most? Just a thought...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I learned CAD design on a Calma machine in 1984. Now, I have both e-Machine Shop and Fusion 360, and most of the special stuff for the car came from e-Machine Shop, but a couple of complex parts were machined for me by a shop in China.

One thing you might think about on the fire-suppression brackets - how fire-tolerant are they? Could they fail when they're needed the most? Just a thought...
Good point.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
This also perks my interest...haven't modeled in 3D in a long time but how hard can it be? Question is do I have stuff I would actually use this for HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I wondered the same thing thing I got mine. My fiance actually wanted it and I ended up using it WAY more than she did. It completely changed my take on how I put things together for my car. Little inconveniences end up being solved in an hour rather than scraping the internet for parts or wandering around a parts store. Can't recommend it enough!

TX
I thought this too when I got it. But then all of a sudden, I was seeing places to use it every where. I needed a way to mount my Chillout controller in the vent on the dash. Simple 3D printed vent hole fill in with locking tabs on the back.

IMG_2517.jpegIMG_2518.jpeg

I needed to mount the Penske remote coil over reservoirs in the rear of the car but I wanted to use a weird spot. Custom mount out of a CF-infused filament.
IMG_2521.jpeg

I needed to mount my CANbus Lambda controllers up in the dash. 3D printed a mount with specific holes and then melted thread inserts into it.

IMG_2476.jpegIMG_2477.jpeg

Next on my list - instrument cluster fill in, fuel cell vent mount, diff vent mount, etc. It never ends!

I know we spoke in the other thread - but just confirming that these are just for mockup and CAD practice. The final ones will be made out of aluminum.
Well thanks to you and Shane I now have the 3D printer on my shopping list. I am going back and forth between the Bambu A1 mini and the soon to be released A1 to start off and splurge later on the X1 Carbon.

@honeybadger Are you using a local shop to machine your designs or online service?
I've been pestering the crap out of @navseng - he's machining them for me

TX
Had an eventful weekend. First, got the car on the ground for the first time in 24 months and tested the air jacks with tires. So pumped to try this at the track

IMG_2487.jpeg

I also used this as an opportunity to weigh the car. Real happy with this progress so far
IMG_2489.jpeg

Had a bit of "doh!" moment when I couldn't get to full lock
IMG_2492.jpeg

But then I realized I hadn't adjusted the caster yet since I'd installed the SPL arms. Adding some caster and we're good to go
IMG_2497.jpeg

Finally, I was able to get the PDM booted up and the electronics working. now to start the long programming process :DIMG_2516.jpeg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Good point about the variety of applications...HRMMMMM

Also quick note on your shock reservoir mount, I would strongly suggest a second support to keep the reservoir from vibrating itself to death in a cantilever. It looks like there's a threaded hole nearby in the chassis that you might be able to take advantage of.

TX
while I document and edit videos of the plumbing and wiring installs, I've begun planning my next item on the list - the roof and windshield.

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

Plan is to trim the roof sides to fit and then glue down with panel bond to attach it. For the windshield, will likely also glue in so I have a seamless edge. The rear I am thinking about screwing in with riv nuts so its removable.

Front is 1/4in Optic Armor, rear is 3/16

I also got my hoses back from BMRS and got them installed last night. We're just about ready for fluids!
IMG_2531.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wyoming
Had an eventful weekend. First, got the car on the ground for the first time in 24 months and tested the air jacks with tires. So pumped to try this at the track

View attachment 93073

I also used this as an opportunity to weigh the car. Real happy with this progress so far
View attachment 93074

View attachment 93075

But then I realized I hadn't adjusted the caster yet since I'd installed the SPL arms. Adding some caster and we're good to go
View attachment 93076

Finally, I was able to get the PDM booted up and the electronics working. now to start the long programming process :DView attachment 93072

View attachment 93073

View attachment 93074

View attachment 93075

View attachment 93076

Finally, I was able to get the PDM booted up and the electronics working. now to start the long programming process :DView attachment 93072
Congratulations on all this coming together. Very exciting. Clean, well planned and executed work. And wow on the corner weights! I love it! It’s going to be such a joy how nimble the car will feel. If it’s important beyond the fun you’re going to have, you may have one of the fastest S550 chassis around a circuit in the world.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel