The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How To Eliminate Driver's Side O2 Sensor Extension With Long Tubes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick rundown 2012 5.0 with pypes long tubes and off-road x pipe. Originally tuned on E85 and now a 92 tune. From the time I got my car I have had various intermittent bank 2 O2 sensors codes even on the 92 tune. Now that E85 is not supposedly killing the sensor I had to find the problem so started searching and found that O2 sensor extensions could be the problem. I never looked close enough to see if I had them until 2 nights ago. I found that the driver's side had the infamous extension. Not on the passenger side. There was an old thread on a different forum where someone said that a clip or zip tie could be removed so there is just enough extra length the run without the extension. So that was my mission.

Way back in the engine bay I found a clip I think on the upper front of the gear box holding up the O2 sensor loom and was able to just get my hand in the from the top and pop it off. As a result the driver side O2 connection dropped enough so could disconnect the extension ( very tight in there) Here's a photo of the loom connector dropped down with just enough length and room to connect and sensor connector beside each other. There's a string on the loom side . I'll get into that next.
KIMG4925.JPG
I tied a string on the loom connector and pushed it up as far as I could. From the top was able to reach in way back on the passenger side of the engine bay and pull it up and feed down the passenger side of the gear box.
KIMG4922.JPG
Knowing that the loom was going to partially now rest on the gearbox I wanted to give some extra protection from heat and abrasion so purchased some DEI quick fix tape. It's self adhering and supposed to be good up to 500 degrees.
KIMG4920.JPG
KIMG4921.JPG
Now that I had the driver's side or the O2 loom in a place I could work with I disconnected the passenger side O2 and was able to drop the entire O2 section of the loom. The tape is supplied in a 12 ft section. I used it all resulting in 2 full wraps, from the O2 insertion to the loom to the end where the driver's side of the O2:loom ends.
KIMG4924.JPG
Once wrapped I was able to feed the loom about 1/2 way back over the gear box and pull it rest of the was with the string. There is just enough length to connect. Connected and secured with a zip tie.
KIMG4926.JPG
I cleared the cel and purposely did not replace the O2 sensor because I am curious if the O2 sensor was really shot or I was having continuity issues with the extension. I have thrown the most O2 codes when it has been cooler or if I really loaded the car below 2000 rpm. Started the car didn't let it warm up more than a minute and took it out. About 20 miles later and trying to stimulate a code and nothing, even floored it at 1000 rpm in 6th. Hopefully I fixed the issue. I'm still going to replace that sensor next month before my next HPDE to be safe even if no codes. I'll update if a code shows up in the next couple hundred miles. If no update then the problem is fixed. Sorry the photos are not that great- weird areas to photo and hard time getting the phone camera to do what I wanted.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel