The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed JLT Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
The price on these things is crazy for a catch can but I might have to do this as well. Or maybe I'll just buy a generic one from Summit.
I think it's the price they're paying for the Ford hoses. You could probably just splice a can into your factory line for a lot less money.

adam81 said:
Is this PCV valve on the passengers side the one going into the valve cover or the intake?
Into the valve cover. You can purchase the piece on the drivers side and replace the one on the passenger side. If anyone purchases one please post the part number.

Can someone clarify for me. Are you saying if you remove the PVC valve, you don't need the catch can or remove the PVC valve if you install a catch can?

Gary, Did you spray anything into the intake to clean the oil out? I pulled both hoses off and the driver side had no oil, the passenger side was oily.

My car has seem to lost some power, I wonder if an oil coated intake is the problem, or am I just getting descensed to the power rush.

BossJockey said:
Can someone clarify for me. Are you saying if you remove the PVC valve, you don't need the catch can or remove the PVC valve if you install a catch can?

Gary, Did you spray anything into the intake to clean the oil out? I pulled both hoses off and the driver side had no oil, the passenger side was oily.

My car has seem to lost some power, I wonder if an oil coated intake is the problem, or am I just getting descensed to the power rush.
I didn't clean anything out yet. I am assuming it's not that bad yet. You are probably getting "used" to the power. I know that always happens with me, thus the ridiculous amount of power in my GT500. It also depends on the day....cooler dry air = more power. It's only 100F here today so yea I'm down on power :mad:

BossJockey said:

You remove or open up the valve when you install the oil can.

cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:

I didn't clean anything out yet. I am assuming it's not that bad yet. You are probably getting "used" to the power. I know that always happens with me, thus the ridiculous amount of power in my GT500. It also depends on the day....cooler dry air = more power. It's only 100F here today so yea I'm down on power :mad:

Cool dry day, what that??? I've been waiting for one of those, before I take her to the dyno. At this rate, track key will be out before we get a cool dry day in Tennessee. ::) At lease I'll be able to compare the two keys that way. ;)

You remove or open up the valve when you install the oil can.

Thanks.

BossJockey said:
Cool dry day, what that??? I've been waiting for one of those, before I take her to the dyno. At this rate, track key will be out before we get a cool dry day in Tennessee. ::) At lease I'll be able to compare the two keys that way. ;)
Sounds like that's your answer! ;D

Again great thread and info everyone! Thanks for the writeup Cloud9. I am going to order one of these tomorrow for sure, maybe two... Hopefully I can get down to the Ford dealership soon to see if I can find out what the driver's side PCV valve part number is.

dont mean to be pain but:
1) if I understand right: the purpose of removing the pass side VALVE thingy so the extra oil chooses the path of the JLT separator , so you dont have to put another one on the driver side?
2) then I dont understand lol : if there is barely any oil on the driver side ANYWAY in normal condition with the valve in place and no seperator: wouldnt that be overkill and not necessary to remove that valve???

please shine a light on a thick headed orange boss ( and sunburnt :D )

Gary thanks for leading us out of the dark on this topic-one thing though..... Why would one side of the block vent more than the other? Upon further research JLT even suggests the can be placed on the pass side before the driver’s side. Doesn't seem to make sense due to the fact that the driver’s side would (assumingly) have less restriction due to the lack of a check valve (pcv). I will call my Ford buddy to find out the driver’s side PCV insert! Boy when I pick mine up the dealership is gonna look at me cross eyed when I ask them to install parts before it even leaves the receiving bay! ;D

Okay here is how the PCV system works. The driver's side is connected to the air intake tube to provide the crank case with fresh air (incoming air). The passenger side is connected to the intake manifold to suck the vapors out of the crankcase. The passenger side has a PCV valve and the purpose of the PCV valve is to keep the vacuum in the crankcase high when the engine is in a high load / low vacuum situation. It's also there to prevent oil from be sucked into the engine when the air /fuel mixture is to rich to burn the oil.

What I can't figure out is why they would recommend removing the PCV valve? I guess they fell it's not needed sense there will be no more oil being suck into the intake. ???

BossJockey said:
Okay here is how the PCV system works. The driver's side is connected to the air intake tube to provide the crank case with fresh air (incoming air). The passenger side is connected to the intake manifold to suck the vapors out of the crankcase. The passenger side has a PCV valve and the purpose of the PCV valve is to keep the vacuum in the crankcase high when the engine is in a high load / low vacuum situation. It's also there to prevent oil from be sucked into the engine when the air /fuel mixture is to rich to burn the oil.

What I can't figure out is why they would recommend removing the PCV valve? I guess they fell it's not needed sense there will be no more oil being suck into the intake. ???

Im just as puzzled as you are.
actually I would even think that if you remove that pass side PCV valve AND install the JLT, you are going to end up filling up that can A LOT :D
until Im enlightened Im going to install the JLT and forget about messing with PCV valve for now, seems safer.

I was just about the ask the same questions as I am confused as to what people are saying here as well. I contacted my parts guy at the Ford dealership and explained to him what I was trying to do. He essentially had the same thing to say in regards to gutting or removing the valve on the passenger's side. Everything I have known about a PCV system in general was the same principle. I have ordered the catch cans from JLT for both the passenger and driver side. I am actually thinking about not installing the driver's side to begin with and monitor it to see if any oil passes through. With all the reports on the passenger's side I feel confident the separator will be a good idea. I am going to leave the valve stuff alone for now until someone who is actually in the know from experience (not this second hand stuff) explains the reasoning. However great information here!

ok I received and installed that JLT seperator, and I can truly say that Im delighted ( I dont work for them or nothing) it fixed a funny thing that would happen upon hard acceleration:
in 3rd, WOT and it would respond kinda gradually. I believe that some oil would get in the intake and the ECU would think its lower grade gas ( I only put 93), so would clamp down sligthly on power then open up etc etc
now nothing, WOT = WOT since there is no oil coming back in the intake.
I love it. highly recommended :)

Got mine installed this week, I took out the PCV and at first was unsure if the PCV valve was a part of the blue plastic tube or not. I found out that is all one piece so I broke the valve out leaving only the hollow blue tube that will attach to the hose. It took the computer a little while to re-learn the idle which I expected. Have a track day tomorrow and then I will see if there are any issues, which I doubt.

2012YellowBoss said:
Got mine installed this week, I took out the PCV and at first was unsure if the PCV valve was a part of the blue plastic tube or not. I found out that is all one piece so I broke the valve out leaving only the hollow blue tube that will attach to the hose. It took the computer a little while to re-learn the idle which I expected. Have a track day tomorrow and then I will see if there are any issues, which I doubt.
Let's get Scotty, he'll try anything ;D. Seriously thanks for trying this. Anxious for results.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel