The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installing a Racing Harness (Belts) and Harness Bar in a Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minneapolis
Team, I was looking at a used 2012 Boss 302. I would use it for light HPDE/Track Days (3-4 a year).
I see harness bars are still available for these:

However, a question I have:
For our local clubs Harness Belts need to have the bottom Anti-Sub Belt as well. I don't see a seat pass through in the bottom of the OEM Recaros on a Boss. So that means a 6 Point Harness.

Is it easy enough to install the 2 Anti Sub Belts that go under the seat? Is there an OEM place to mount them up? Is it plug and play or do you need to take the Recaros out and make your own eye bolt locations?
Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Team, I was looking at a used 2012 Boss 302. I would use it for light HPDE/Track Days (3-4 a year).
I see harness bars are still available for these:

For our local clubs Harness Belts need to have the bottom Anti-Sub Belt as well. I don't see a seat pass through in the bottom of the OEM Recaros on a Boss. So that means a 6 Point Harness.

Is it easy enough to install the 2 Anti Sub Belts that go under the seat? Is there an OEM place to mount them up? Is it plug and play or do you need to take the Recaros out and make your own eye bolt locations?
Thanks!
Sub belts should not go over the front of the seat and pass back under. I have seen cars pass tech with them passing through between the seat back and base with eye bolts behind. The driver sits on them kind of like Indy car style.

For our local clubs Harness Belts need to have the bottom Anti-Sub Belt as well.
You may want to double check this, as a lot of clubs make an exception for the 4-point Schroth QuickFit system as it has anti-submarining tech built in. It's designed to work with the stock interior and factory Recaros and you don't need a harness bar. In my region I have had no issues passing any tech with the Schroth system when I am running in SCCA, open lapping days at my local track, PCA, or BMWCCA. A lot of people find it a good solution for light HPDE style track days.

If you go this route, though, make sure you get the HANS style neck restraint that goes with it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
You may want to double check this, as a lot of clubs make an exception for the 4-point Schroth QuickFit system as it has anti-submarining tech built in. It's designed to work with the stock interior and factory Recaros and you don't need a harness bar. In my region I have had no issues passing any tech with the Schroth system when I am running in SCCA, open lapping days at my local track, PCA, or BMWCCA. A lot of people find it a good solution for light HPDE style track days.

If you go this route, though, make sure you get the HANS style neck restraint that goes with it.
Agreed. I’ve always approached the Quick Fit Pro question at tech from this perspective - they are a FMVSS209 approved OEM seatbelt replacement, not a safety harness. For me, the benefit is there is no expiry date for them. Just watch for chafing on there early S197 headrest posts - the notches in the posts can damage the webbing.

I haven't had any issues with tech using the Quick Fit Pro. In addition to the factory seats, it is approved for use with Recaro Pole Position and Cobra Nogaro seats in already approved vehicles. I have the Nogaro Circuit seat. This combo maintains full access to the back "seats" and the Nogaro has very low sides to function properly with the stock 3 point belt. I am on the fence with HANS devices + Quick Fit. My gut wants to use it but the ASM functionality of the Quick Fit (break away stitching on one shoulder) allows you to rotate like with 3 points harnesses. I can see the logic that the airbag can still function as intended but then again you have a helmet on... More insight here would be welcome.
I have found the Quick Fit + Nogaro (or factory Recaros) to be a great compromise if you are mainly focused on street driving, don't want to create any inconveniences when not using the harness, but still want to track it occasionally without sliding all over the place.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
I haven't had any issues with tech using the Quick Fit Pro. In addition to the factory seats, it is approved for use with Recaro Pole Position and Cobra Nogaro seats in already approved vehicles. I have the Nogaro Circuit seat. This combo maintains full access to the back "seats" and the Nogaro has very low sides to function properly with the stock 3 point belt. I am on the fence with HANS devices + Quick Fit. My gut wants to use it but the ASM functionality of the Quick Fit (break away stitching on one shoulder) allows you to rotate like with 3 points harnesses. I can see the logic that the airbag can still function as intended but then again you have a helmet on... More insight here would be welcome.
I have found the Quick Fit + Nogaro (or factory Recaros) to be a great compromise if you are mainly focused on street driving, don't want to create any inconveniences when not using the harness, but still want to track it occasionally without sliding all over the place.
I don’t see any issue with using a HANS style FHR with them. They have done their own sled testing, ands found they worked well. But I can see an issue of you are in a group that has rules requiring an SFI or FIA compliance FHR setup, because the Schroth Quick Fit Pro doesn’t have that certification.

TMO Supporting Vendors