The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 JULIE Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christmas lights are starting to emerge around here........I always thought Thanksgiving was the cue now it's Halloween........the stores started at Labor Day.........Hon, where's our tree??????????????......................Tyme, You get started yet?????????????.................get busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Update on Julie,

The rear end is done. The boys at Middleton Motorsport don't love the idea that the metal shavings from the diff issue got into the diff cooler so that is getting replaced as well.

O and I bought a new home for her in the summer :)

ATC Quest 305 custom

IMG_5851.JPG

PRE-OWNED_2021_ATC_8.5x24_QUEST_305_ALUMINUM_RACE_TRAILER_MATTE_BLACK_XuXO9Qml1b0b.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Nice trailer.

I considered a rack for tires but I am not comfortable with attaching the rack. Self tappers are a non starter. Bouncing tires on a rack held up by self tapping screws just spells new paint job and minor body damage for the car when the rack detaches. I have considered using these. Has anyone mounted a tire rack with this type of insert?
1700673286516.png

How did they work out? I added the L track like you have in floor. I flush mounted mine. A little router work after a bunch of measuring and Re measuring. I added L track to the walls and put carpet below. I used the inserts above and am very happy with the result. I may be a bit over cautions but I’m good with that. Lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Nice trailer.

I considered a rack for tires but I am not comfortable with attaching the rack. Self tappers are a non starter. Bouncing tires on a rack held up by self tapping screws just spells new paint job and minor body damage for the car when the rack detaches. I have considered using these. Has anyone mounted a tire rack with this type of insert?
View attachment 91339

How did they work out? I added the L track like you have in floor. I flush mounted mine. A little router work after a bunch of measuring and Re measuring. I added L track to the walls and put carpet below. I used the inserts above and am very happy with the result. I may be a bit over cautions but I’m good with that. Lol

Good call on the rivets. Wonder if I can take a wall down and add those to the studs and then put it all back together.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Good call on the rivets. Wonder if I can take a wall down and add those to the studs and then put it all back together.
ATC uses the most powerful 2 sided 3M Very High Bond tape there is to attach wall panels inside and out (I hope I didn’t jinx anything here). At every seam, there is a stud, 16” on center as panels are 48”. Stud material is 1X2X1/8” so the rivet nut TMS showed above get installed into the stud after drilling a hole to insert the nut and special tool collapses the rivet to form a nut that is already threaded in the rivet nut.
Look into Pit Pal trailer products as their tire racks are adjustable if you go that route. Right now, I put the spare set of wheels/tires in the truck box as trailer space is tight. That might be a non-starter for you if using truck box for whatever.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
ATC uses the most powerful 2 sided 3M Very High Bond tape there is to attach wall panels inside and out (I hope I didn’t jinx anything here). At every seam, there is a stud, 16” on center as panels are 48”. Stud material is 1X2X1/8” so the rivet nut TMS showed above get installed into the stud after drilling a hole to insert the nut and special tool collapses the rivet to form a nut that is already threaded in the rivet nut.
Look into Pit Pal trailer products as their tire racks are adjustable if you go that route. Right now, I put the spare set of wheels/tires in the truck box as trailer space is tight. That might be a non-starter for you if using truck box for whatever.

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about drilling into something I can see so that might not happen. I have the Decked system in the back of the tremor for all of the race gear and stuff. Some of that can move into the trailer now. That will be a fun spring project. However I can still put 2 sets of tires in the back of the truck and everything will still be secured. The decked system has tie down points and the truck has box link tie down.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Sometimes ATC doesn’t get them all inline as I drawn so use a small tap hammer to hear where they are as they could be off a bit. As @TMSBOSS mentioned above, self tappers come loose over time. I generally go thru the trailer and retighten the ones I installed as well as the ones ATC used. It’s amazing how the screws come loose. On lighter loads, rivet nuts come in 10-24 or 10-32 thread size also.

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3409.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Interesting. Not sure how I feel about drilling into something I can see so that might not happen. I have the Decked system in the back of the tremor for all of the race gear and stuff. Some of that can move into the trailer now. That will be a fun spring project. However I can still put 2 sets of tires in the back of the truck and everything will still be secured. The decked system has tie down points and the truck has box link tie down.
Those deck systems are really awesome.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Also as you stated, those front cabinets hold a lot of equipment and supplies. Lighter stuff up top and heavy things on the floor. The lower ones hold plastic totes pretty well too. It’s satisfying getting all your gear situated to suit your needs. Again, congratulations on that ATC !!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If you want to determine exactly where the wall studs are. Remove the small panel which joins the walls to the ceiling. A bunch of screws removed and slice the silicone with a sharp blade and it comes right out. Then the studs are relight there to see. Measure and mark accordingly. No guessing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
If you want to determine exactly where the wall studs are. Remove the small panel which joins the walls to the ceiling. A bunch of screws removed and slice the silicone with a sharp blade and it comes right out. Then the studs are relight there to see. Measure and mark accordingly. No guessing.
I like the “exactly” & “no guessing” approach - great insight @TMSBOSS

TMO Supporting Vendors