The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 JULIE Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Did you pull up the floor to find the plate? I need to crawl under the trailer and look at how big that plate it.
I misspoke about the offset in my previous reply. It is 14 3/4” off centerline of trailer to cenerline of winch drum. I‘ll post up my drawings for some measurements that show winch centerline along with the extra set of d-rings in the rear of trailer. I did not have a plate underneath, we used a piece of painted angle iron in the front to tie that to the front aluminum cross beam & used some 3” x 1/4” round washers in rear to catch the mounting bolts of the winch. I can take pictures if you want. The underside of the trailer floor is coated with a sealant before ATC lays it in there before lugging it down so it doesn’t rot and offers some protection from the elements. The car dimension of overall length is for the NSX not the mustang. I used that to figure strap length to tie down the NSX (6 foot) but the mach1 needed 10 foot straps just to be sure.

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
R u sure cuz my detail guy is really really good and couldnt get em out
Very sure. I tried a bunch of detailing products and all failed. Then I tried the rubber remover. My daughter is a chemist and explained the interaction of the active ingredients to me. I thought it was nice that she though I actually understood how the product worked. Lol.

Very sure. I tried a bunch of detailing products and all failed. Then I tried the rubber remover. My daughter is a chemist and explained the interaction of the active ingredients to me. I thought it was nice that she though I actually understood how the product worked. Lol.
Ufffff it works

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Got any pictures. Super nervous drilling into those beautiful walls.
Here are the pics I promised. Sorry for the delay. The track is at the base of the wall. I have additional track in the floor, in front of the fuel bottles.
If you are uncomfortable with using straps. Two and four fuel bottle racks could also be secured to the track. There are several suppliers who make a piece which slips into the track and has a 3/8” stud. Bolt a small piece of angle to the rack and drill holes for the stub. I wouldn’t put the stud inside of the rack.
hope this is helpful.

13391C50-D022-4C10-8B1F-E9AAEAF84676.jpeg

9EAE3231-8C68-43C9-B7A7-90EFE6B6B070.jpeg

8FA956A8-61DC-4A89-8E94-8CEC7729F955.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Got any pictures. Super nervous drilling into those beautiful walls.

I’ll get you some pics. Yea, get a collar/stop for your drill bit. Dont ask why :banghead:
I used the extra wide, T shaped riv nuts 1/4” and they hold very well. For the floor I used the recessed track and cut a groove with a router and put aluminum angle under the floor. Locating the wall studs is easy once you remove the trim between the ceiling and walls. Just measure from the internal metal sheet seam to the center of the stud and mark same below. Standard rivnuts will NOT do the job.

View attachment 91693
Need to see these in action to understand how they work

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Winter update...

New fuel cell bladder should be in stock any day now.
Entire fire system needs to be removed and a new one installed. Does anyone have a recommendation for a system to buy? @honeybadger Kevin what are you putting in yours?

Getting some customer graphics for her. Rear windows and wing end plates will have new designs. Cruise for a Cause logos in chrome and bright pink.. going to be super cool!

12 years ago today lost my Mom to Cancer... The car is named after her so she lives on providing happiness to all that see her!

TX
Winter update...

New fuel cell bladder should be in stock any day now.
Entire fire system needs to be removed and a new one installed. Does anyone have a recommendation for a system to buy? @honeybadger Kevin what are you putting in yours?

Getting some customer graphics for her. Rear windows and wing end plates will have new designs. Cruise for a Cause logos in chrome and bright pink.. going to be super cool!

12 years ago today lost my Mom to Cancer... The car is named after her so she lives on providing happiness to all that see her!

Love the livery idea - f*ck cancer!

I'm using the 3 kg Lifeline Novec system - electric so that I can install a protectowire on the roof of the cabin in case of fire while passed out. I liked the idea of having a system that will auto-deploy if I can't trigger it and the cabin is engulfed in flames. Once I saw that video of the guy in the Vette that almost burned up, I knew I'd only go with an auto system

Here's the kit I used

and the wire you put on the roof to auto deploy the system

this weekend I should have my install finished up and I can share more details

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Love the livery idea - f*ck cancer!

I'm using the 3 kg Lifeline Novec system - electric so that I can install a protectowire on the roof of the cabin in case of fire while passed out. I liked the idea of having a system that will auto-deploy if I can't trigger it and the cabin is engulfed in flames. Once I saw that video of the guy in the Vette that almost burned up, I knew I'd only go with an auto system

Here's the kit I used

and the wire you put on the roof to auto deploy the system

this weekend I should have my install finished up and I can share more details

Thank you Kevin, that will be added to the list.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I second Honeybadger with the Lifeline automatic setup (and electronics friendly) as I'm in the process of installing the same in my 68 Cuda. I met the team at PRI last year and they've been great to work with, highly recommend them!

I love the Forgelines on your S197, that fits so well together!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Road AmericaNWSCApril 23rd maybe…
Mid OhioNASAMay 24th -26TH
GingermanNASAJune 14th -16th
Road AmericaTrack DayJuly 4th -7th
Mid OhioNASAAug 23rd - 25th
AutobahnNASASep 20th - 23rd
Road AmericaPrivateOct 7th
BlackhawkCruise for a CauseOct 4th
OzarksNASAOct 18th -20th

Working on adding some.... any recommendation?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Road AmericaNWSCApril 23rd maybe…
Mid OhioNASAMay 24th -26TH
GingermanNASAJune 14th -16th
Road AmericaTrack DayJuly 4th -7th
Mid OhioNASAAug 23rd - 25th
AutobahnNASASep 20th - 23rd
Road AmericaPrivateOct 7th
BlackhawkCruise for a CauseOct 4th
OzarksNASAOct 18th -20th

Working on adding some.... any recommendation?
Autobahn with NWSC June 1/2

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel