The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates won't max out, hitting studs for strut bar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
I bought a set of 18x11 apex wheels and 315/30r18 Continental ECF tires about three weeks before finding out my wife was pregnant with our first child. We debated selling the car, but ultimately decided to keep it. I needed camber plates in order to run that fitment, so I chose the "middle ground" between BMR and Ground Control / Vorshlag. I installed the maximum motorsport camber plates, but I am unable to get them to max out. I can see about half an inch of space to go more negative, just by looking at the slots, but it won't budge. When I looked a little closer, I noticed the plates are hitting the bottom of the studs for the factory strut bar. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't really think of any other configuration with these plates that would allow it to clear the studs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
I checked this very situation recently on my s550. I am running J&M plates, and I believe they hit the end of the slots, and just barely do NOT hit the STB stud heads as you describe.

I still needed more camber, and I chose to slot the upper strut holes by 1/16" extra using a 5/8" diameter round file. Therefore I did not have to open up the strut tower holes. This got me to around -3.5deg.

I think if I were in your circumstance I would buy some stout washers to put on the 3 camber plate studs so as to get the clearance with the STB stud heads. Probably 1mm to 1/16" thick should do it. Even so, you may have to use an additional method for more camber such as camber bolts, opening tower hole, or slotting the strut holes.

TMO Supporting Vendors