The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What am I doing wrong with my camber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I may be wrong but I think the issue is that @JP X was able to achieve the desired camber before. After going to wider wheels/tires, he has lost camber and is trying to figure out how/why. At least that's how I read the initial post and knowing that he has been tracking on more narrow set up.

But I could be wrong lol.
EDIT: I guess tire width can affect camber. If camber on narrow tires was always adjusted from the spindle then going to wider tires will allow less adjustment from spindle causing less negative camber.

In the V6L
I may be wrong but I think the issue is that @JP X was able to achieve the desired camber before. After going to wider wheels/tires, he has lost camber and is trying to figure out how/why. At least that's how I read the initial post and knowing that he has been tracking on more narrow set up.

But I could be wrong lol.
EDIT: I guess tire width can affect camber. If camber on narrow tires was always adjusted from the spindle then going to wider tires will allow less adjustment from spindle causing less negative camber.
The current theory is that when he had narrower tires on narrower wheels with a different offset, he could tip the knuckle and tire assembly further in using the slotted holes in the strut. Tipping it in gave him more negative camber. Wider rims and tires had to be tipped outward so the tires could clear the coilover spring, reducing negative camber.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I actually finally had some time to take some pictures of my setup Steeda Camber Plates, Ohlins R&T, Apex SM-10 ET26 19x11 with 295/35/19 Yokohama A052.

First the strut towers opening my nut slides under the tower:

IMG_6153.jpeg

Next the actual tire clearance from the Strut:

IMG_6160.jpeg

Sorry for the blurry image but hard to shot that with car on the ground.

And finally the tire to fender:

IMG_6162.jpeg

This actually tugs under the fender even though it doesn't exactly look that way.

I run -3.4" of camber but I know for a fact that around -3" should work as well anything less than that and you will not clear fenders.

Really hope that this photos give an idea of how that all works.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I think people are onto something with the fact that the spacer is putting your tire next to your spring, but looking at that top strut bolt it almost looks like that bolt is moved as far inward as it can go. With the Ground Control top hats it looks like you've maxed them out and the only way to add more camber is to adjust the actual strut mounting bolts in teh slot, but is there more room to adjust?
I need to play with the top-end. That ”spacer” might be the problem. I appreciate everyone’s input!

I've been staring at the instructions for a little bit (issues) but it seems that the instructed position for high neg camber doesn't match the as installed photo.

Is the installed photo of the drivers side and is the front of the car to the left?

Attachments

• Mustang_CCP_Instructions_CHECK.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel