The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASA ST seat mounting requirements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Gilbert SC
In Converting my car from TT to ST for wheel to wheel racing, I see there is a requirement for the seat to have a support for the back tied to the cage. I know the seat I currently have will not work since it does not meet the other requirement of not being a tube and cloth design. The other issue is my current seat is on sliders. This has been a big issue to me because I am real short and I have to have the seat slid all the way forward and its on 1" riser blocks. My concern is that even with a removable steering wheel there will not be room to get out with a full containment with head restraint seat fixed that close to the wheel. Does anyone know a way to put the seat on a slider system but still have the required back support?

I'm in a similar situation with my '19 GT. I'm looking at the Sparco Circuit II US seat, but worried about the limited space with a full containment seat.

For frame of reference here is where my seat has to be for me to reach the pedals, also keep in mind I’m 50 years old and with the 29” inseam I am working with a 36” waist, so I am a long way away from being flexible if you can imagine. Without my helmet on I can get out without sliding the seat back if I remove the steering wheel but I can’t imagine being able to with a full containment seat.

IMG_6829.jpeg

If the seat is in date (a FIA rated seat should have a validation date tag on it), it does not require a back brace. (I'll go look at rules to ensure there wasn't a change, but believe it to be the case in 2024).

If the seat is out of date, a brace is required and that's challenging to do with a slider.

If the seat is in date (a FIA rated seat should have a validation date tag on it), it does not require a back brace. (I'll go look at rules to ensure there wasn't a change, but believe it to be the case in 2024).

If the seat is out of date, a brace is required and that's challenging to do with a slider.
Looks like this is correct, a few of the challenges with this option is the 5 year expiry and the only company I can find that offering with is recaro. Recaro just recently filed for bankruptcy so I’m not sure what this does to the ability to replace this in 5 years, but also recaro is at a much higher price point than I was hoping for. It may just be that I have to do this now and figure it out in 5 years, or possibly even the next owner has too. A lot can change in 5 years. Thanks for the suggestion though at least there is a real option out there without being stuck with fixed position seat.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel