The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NCM incident + car rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So about 2 weeks ago I had a close encounter with a guard rail at the Corvette Museum racetrack. For those familiar with the track, I tried a new line going down the "Sink Hole".
Didn't work out well because as soons as I went down it unloaded the rear suspension and lost all the traction of the rear wheel hence the spin. By "chance" the track photograph was there and caught everything
20150711-256A26331010ths_zpsg9esdjaa.jpg
20150711-256A26361010ths_zpsrigwdcou.jpg
20150711-256A26371010ths_zps9fkp5163.jpg
20150711-256A26381010ths_zpsu0uppjiy.jpg
20150711-256A26391010ths_zpstjhb3ghr.jpg
20150711-256A26401010ths_zps0jqi1tkt.jpg
20150711-256A26411010ths_zpsn99hnsy0.jpg
20150711-256A26421010ths_zpswamgkytm.jpg
20150711-256A26431010ths_zpsa4dmgdws.jpg
20150711-256A26441010ths_zpsb4vc5iig.jpg
20150711-256A26451010ths_zpsa24tp7bf.jpg
20150711-256A26461010ths_zps3mbr0wmr.jpg
20150711-256A26471010ths_zps1cgkyz33.jpg
20150711-256A26481010ths_zpspalxoo10.jpg

Yikes. I'm not sure how'd I'd feel about the photographer catching all of that but you have them so enjoy them. Any idea how extensively the front frame is damaged?

So the whole front end is toast and the frame extension are bend a little.
Need also a new hood, fender and windshield.
K-member shifted a little but looks OK Most important motor looks fine.
What pissed me the most is that my Setrab oil cooler is toast too. I just finished installing it last winter :mad:

I tried to use my insurance but since I was on a racetrack they say F**K you!. Wasn't expecting more than that anyway. You gotta pay to play.

Now I'll find a very good alignment shop and have the frame straighten out. Then I should be able to do most of the work by myself
Only parts I'm sure to use as for now are a Tiger Racing hood, Optic Armor windshield and TruFiber fender.
I'll try to upgrade most of the part that need to be changed and some more as the car is apart but budget will be the limiting factor.
I'm planning ~10000$to have back on the road (including paint and labor).

If you have any suggestions, feel free to post it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Swiss Boss said:
So the whole front end is toast and the frame extension are bend a little.
Need also a new hood, fender and windshield.
K-member shifted a little but looks OK Most important motor looks fine.
What pissed me the most is that my Setrab oil cooler is toast too. I just finished installing it last winter :mad:

I tried to use my insurance but since I was on a racetrack they say F**K you!. Wasn't expecting more than that anyway. You gotta pay to play.

Now I'll find a very good alignment shop and have the frame straighten out. Then I should be able to do most of the work by myself
Only parts I'm sure to use as for now are a Tiger Racing hood, Optic Armor windshield and TruFiber fender.
I'll try to upgrade most of the part that need to be changed and some more as the car is apart but budget will be the limiting factor.
I'm planning ~10000$to have back on the road (including paint and labor).

If you have any suggestions, feel free to post it.

Ouch. That's worse than I was thinking from your initial post and pics.

Maybe a donor 'front clip' from a GT w/o engine would help reduce some of the cost... just not for the parts you're going to upgrade anyway.

While you do have it apart, it would be a great time to do other mods like a larger oil pan, or the EPAS unit.

Good luck with the rebuild and looking forward to seeing the progress.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Swiss Boss:

So sorry to learn of the "hit", but very happy to learn that you came out of it unscathed. Looks like that guard rail post did some damage, but it could have been worse had it struck your frame rail head on.

Thankfully, with the newest state of the art "Frame Data Point" computerized frame tables, the procedure to straighten both unibody frame rails is a very straight forward process. It's all about table/vehicle set up, and training/experience of the repair technician, so be sure to inspect what you expect of the Body Shop doing this repair and you'll be fine.

Good luck with your repairs,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

You're going about it the right way. I like your parts list.

Familiar experience for me, and I went the same path more or less. I don't have the photos of my off, but I wouldn't have minded having them. I do have video, which I guess is enough.

In the end, the only thing that pissed me off about mine was the old, fat women in the paddock who wanted to be nosey and take photos without asking and without so much as a hello or asking how I was. I guess their Facebook status needed some new photos that badly...

ArizonaBOSS said:
Gut it and cage it :)

And install a tubular front frame with SLA ;D

I've think about it but that crash is going to eat the money I saved for a new F150 to tow my car to the track.

Berol said:
In the end, the only thing that pissed me off about mine was the old, fat women in the paddock who wanted to be nosey and take photos without asking and without so much as a hello or asking how I was. I guess their Facebook status needed some new photos that badly...

I hate this kind of people

Ugh, the damage is worse than I thought, when you initially posted the pictures :'(

This really makes me think of the stupid decision I've been making of tracking my car, while it's not paid off! :eek:

Would track insurance have covered an incident like this?

I hope everything works out for you, by finding a good collision shop to straighten out that chassis.
Again, glad you came out fine out of the accident!

F.D. Sako said:
Would track insurance have covered an incident like this?

It would, but the insurance cost may not be worth the expense. It all depends on what you owe on the car and if you have any disposable savings.

A $30,000 agreed value policy from Lockton is about $200 per event with a 15% deductible. That means you have to cover the first $4,500 before the insurance kicks in. If you total the car and don't have the money to pay for it, the insurance is probably a good idea. If you have the disposable savings and track a lot, then you are better off uninsured in my opinion.

For example, my off track excursion at the Glenn earlier this spring is going to run about $9,000 in repair bills. I did 25+ events in the car before I had an incident. In this example, I come out ahead by not having insurance. The cost of insurance would have been approximately $5,000 plus about $4,500 in deductible costs for a total of $9,500.

Very sorry to see and read of your accident. Glad you walked away. looking at the pictures i was wondering if your air bags deployed with such a hard hit.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Most import thing is that you're okay. Trying a new line is bold but brave. Now's the tyme to turn her into a full race car should you choose.

superhero said:
Very sorry to see and read of your accident. Glad you walked away. looking at the pictures i was wondering if your air bags deployed with such a hard hit.

I don't have airbag anymore in the car. Aftermarket seats and steering wheel.
Otherwise yes, I'm pretty they would have gone off.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel