The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One more track day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Plano, TX
I did a track day yesterday and thinly my front Cup 2s may be toast. I'm relatively new to track days and am running in the intermediate group. These fronts look like they're done to me but wanted to get input from those who have much more experience than I do on the track? Do these need to be replaced or do you think o Dan get one more track day out of them?

Also, I'm at -2.6 camber on the front. Looks like I need to go up to -3.5, as the outside of the fronts wore much more quickly than the inside of the tire? Any recommendations for camber for the track?

IMG_2594.jpeg

Hard to tell from your picture, though you do have that faint looking stripe going around the middle. Is that actually showing cord or just an oddity in the photo? I ran my Cups down more than that but I did have my camber at -2.8. Not much more but I was getting pretty good tire wear at that. You can take Cup 2s down quite a bit , but a bit more negative camber can't hurt. I ran the rears at -1.9 and that worked really well!

@Bill Pemberton - thanks for your input. No cord, just an oddity in the picture. Thanks for the input on front/rear camber. Is there a camber plate that you would recommend that would allow me to adjust between street and track alignments? I daily my GT350 and don't want to go so aggressive on front camber that I'm wearing out the inside of the tires on the street. Thanks for your input.

I did a track day yesterday and thinly my front Cup 2s may be toast. I'm relatively new to track days and am running in the intermediate group. These fronts look like they're done to me but wanted to get input from those who have much more experience than I do on the track? Do these need to be replaced or do you think o Dan get one more track day out of them?

Also, I'm at -2.6 camber on the front. Looks like I need to go up to -3.5, as the outside of the fronts wore much more quickly than the inside of the tire? Any recommendations for camber for the track?

View attachment 98398
THis looks like its starting to chunk to me. I think you're done with this set

1725897183076.png

What hot pressures were you running?

Hot pressures were 35-36.
that's a bit warm (especially if they peak above that for any length of time) - drop down to 32-33 and that should help wear in the middle.

IME, Cup2s were VERY sensitive to heat (they chunked in the middle if you ran too high for any period of time)

My cold pressures started at 28. Should I be starting with lower cold pressures or just bleeding air out in between sessions to maintain a reasonable max hot pressure? Thanks for your input.

My cold pressures started at 28. Should I be starting with lower cold pressures or just bleeding air out in between sessions to maintain a reasonable max hot pressure? Thanks for your input.
depends on the ambient temp and track, but absolutely can go lower. I frequently started Cup2s at 25/26 at COTA during "warm" months and during a properly hot day, I've been as low as 23 going out for the first session.

@Bill Pemberton - thanks for your input. No cord, just an oddity in the picture. Thanks for the input on front/rear camber. Is there a camber plate that you would recommend that would allow me to adjust between street and track alignments? I daily my GT350 and don't want to go so aggressive on front camber that I'm wearing out the inside of the tires on the street. Thanks for your input.
If you set the front up with a modest amount of camber (-1?) with the smallest amount of toe-in you can measure as your street setup, then just max out the camber for your track day. Don’t touch the toe when you change to max camber. The track camber change will get you a bit of toe-out, which is not a bad thing.

Over -2.0 degrees of camber and SC2s makes for very darty car on Dallas highways.

Vorshlag is the top of the line camber plate and they are made locally, Princeton TX. My black ‘16 GT350 is probably still pictured in their install instructions.

I’ve sort of been out a track stuff since Covid, but I’m about to retire and will restart things. I used to instruct a little at ECR, but my background is vintage racing a 65 Mustang. I will either modify my GT350 more, or buy a purpose built racecar.

As others said, SC2s don’t need a lot of air pressure. I think I ran 28 cold. 32-33 hot

@honeybadger - Hey Kevin, last time that I bug you on this topic. I got the wheels/tires off the car and got better pics of the top. They look like they're structurally fine but there is some slight chunking in the center of the tire. I think you are correct that I was running hot pressures too high, as it's only the center of the tires that experienced the issue. After reviewing the latest pictures, do you still think these tires are done? I definitely want to err on the side of caution and pick up new ones if these aren't safe.

IMG_2600.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

@honeybadger - Hey Kevin, last time that I bug you on this topic. I got the wheels/tires off the car and got better pics of the top. They look like they're structurally fine but there is some slight chunking in the center of the tire. I think you are correct that I was running hot pressures too high, as it's only the center of the tires that experienced the issue. After reviewing the latest pictures, do you still think these tires are done? I definitely want to err on the side of caution and pick up new ones if these aren't safe.

View attachment 98413

View attachment 98414
Yeah - i'd consider those done. They might have a session or two left in them - but definitely not an entire day

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel