The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One more track day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size tires are you running now, as replacement may give you some possibly better choices.
I'm running the OEM 295/35/R19 fronts and 305/35/R19 rears. I picked up some Apex 19x11 rims and am planning to run 305 square with the next tire purchase. Any suggestions on your preferred track tire as an alternative to the Cup 2?

There are some good choices out there that are close to the capabilities of the Cup 2, and most offer better pricing. If you are mainly just doing HPDEs the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 is a great tire for that and I bring it up in case you are a USAA member. There is a huge discount under " Perks " if you happen to have access to USAA. Another good choice is the Continental Extreme Force and if you go to trackdaytire.com and sign up as a " Competition Driver " you will get a discount. HPDEs with NASA qualify and if you have trouble just call , tell Johnny Miller you chatted with me and were trying to sign up for track discounts.
Lastly if you are more into being really aggressive, check out a set of Bridgestone RE71RSs as they are killer for autocross and fast on a road course. They will wear faster but that is the price of speed, ha.
There are a few others, including a new design on Fallen RT660s, but you will want the new , revised model and they will not show up till early next year.

Alot concerning tire choice depends on your intensity level and I personally like a tire that can do more than one thing ( autocross and track ) and the Solo Nationals last week showed the Yokohama A052 to easily be the hot ticket along with the RE71RSs, and I prefer the Bridgerocks only because they last longer on a road course. Many will echo they also last longer on an autocross course than the Yokes, but the Yomamas are stinking fast through the cones.

I'm running the OEM 295/35/R19 fronts and 305/35/R19 rears. I picked up some Apex 19x11 rims and am planning to run 305 square with the next tire purchase. Any suggestions on your preferred track tire as an alternative to the Cup 2?

There are some good choices out there that are close to the capabilities of the Cup 2, and most offer better pricing. If you are mainly just doing HPDEs the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 is a great tire for that and I bring it up in case you are a USAA member. There is a huge discount under " Perks " if you happen to have access to USAA. Another good choice is the Continental Extreme Force and if you go to trackdaytire.com and sign up as a " Competition Driver " you will get a discount. HPDEs with NASA qualify and if you have trouble just call , tell Johnny Miller you chatted with me and were trying to sign up for track discounts.
Lastly if you are more into being really aggressive, check out a set of Bridgestone RE71RSs as they are killer for autocross and fast on a road course. They will wear faster but that is the price of speed, ha.
There are a few others, including a new design on Fallen RT660s, but you will want the new , revised model and they will not show up till early next year.

Alot concerning tire choice depends on your intensity level and I personally like a tire that can do more than one thing ( autocross and track ) and the Solo Nationals last week showed the Yokohama A052 to easily be the hot ticket along with the RE71RSs, and I prefer the Bridgerocks only because they last longer on a road course. Many will echo they also last longer on an autocross course than the Yokes, but the Yomamas are stinking fast through the cones.
Unfortunately, Continental doesn’t offer 305/30/19. They have 295/30/19 & 315/30/19.

True, forgot about that , though I was wondering if the OP has longer studs and a 25mm spacer coming or already since he happens to have gotten a set of 19x11 Apex wheels? If so he could run 315s with a couple of other tire brands also.

I've done a couple auto crosses with my nephew and far prefer the big track. I'm fairly aggressive - currently getting ride checks to go into the advanced group but have only been on the track 6 or 7 times since I got the GT350 so I'm trying to figure out the best balance between grip and life. Sounds like I may need to try the Supercar 3.

Continental ECF 315/30ZR19 are fine on 19x11 wheels and they fit on my regular GT with 25mm spacers and -3.2 degrees camber with a little poke and are the absolute biggest tires I can run without modifying the strut or fenders for more clearance. They're the tires in my profile picture.

The 295s are too narrow and I got poor wear with them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel