The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

Problem: CEL and limp mode w/SlowKey and on track only.

Update: Stealership said they couldn't find any logged codes at all. Really? Is this the state of ECU techmology? They told me to bring it in if I get another CEL. I don't have TracKey yet, so no other instructions.

I'll check the crank shaft sensor connection and get a code reader, but will continue to drive it like I stole it. Honestly, the CEL doesn't really bother me that much, but the limp mode does. Maybe red key will help? Anyway, I have enough confidence in my own mechanical abilities, experience, and common sense to know when something is actually wrong enough with the car that I need to back off (smoke/flames). ;)

Jimmy

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

I have seen 2 instances where I got the CEL but no codes were stored. This was not with going into limp mode though. For anyone with a Boss I strongly suggest getting an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge, not only to monitor temps but to read & clear DTC's.

further said:
Update:

Ok, so it checked out with a clean bill of health and a big negatory on the diagnostics. Basically, nothing is wrong with it. So, I was given the following instructions per dealer per Ford Racing:

On the track, use Track Key, ignore all "Random Misfire" codes and clear them.

Do not drive with Track Key on the road.

Use the Black key on the road and bring it in, if I throw a code on the road.

I am going to get a reader, and monitor oil/cooler temps better. I feel a ton better, and will continue to drive the heck out of it on track.
Funny, that's basically where I've landed. Good to hear FR is confirming my suspicions. I stopped using Red Key on the street a couple months ago (although I didn't have any issues with codes on the street) and have ignored the CELs and cleared the codes after sessions on track. I'm not going into limp mode on track due to the codes, so that hasn't been an issue with TracKey. I did have limp mode with the regular key last year before TK was available. Since my TPMS light, airbag light and AdvanceTrac off light are all illuminated, adding the CEL just fills in the row nicely ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PeteInCT

Connecticut

I'd be quick to say that you ignore only the random misfire code P0300. This code sometimes shows up in conjunction with others - in my case I got P0010 and P0012 as well as a P0300. No limp mode, but my engine harness had to be replaced (which addressed the camshaft position codes P0010 and P0012.

As for running the black key on the street, not sure why this is recommended or necessary ?

PeteInCT said:
I'd be quick to say that you ignore only the random misfire code P0300.
Agreed

PeteInCT said:
As for running the black key on the street, not sure why this is recommended or necessary ?
I'm guessing it's for those getting P0300 street driving with it but I could be wrong. Hard to say for sure, but they do display a warning in the message center "Trackey For Track Use Only"

PeteInCT

Connecticut

I believe that message was designed by the Ford legal dept. more than anyone else. I never use the black key but I also don't get CEL's on the street if I take it there (rarely).

cloud9 said:
Since my TPMS light, airbag light and AdvanceTrac off light are all illuminated, adding the CEL just fills in the row nicely ;)

Great. Maybe instead of the cool guys who run track map glyphs on their cars, we can get stickers of these and run them on our back windows instead. So proud. ;D

glyphs.jpg

Jimmy

zzyzx

Steve

PeteInCT said:
I believe that message was designed by the Ford legal dept. more than anyone else. I never use the black key but I also don't get CEL's on the street if I take it there (rarely).

I don't think the keys have anything to do with these CELs at all. They only confuse the issue. We have two cases here of loose wiring/loose crank sensor and another where there was another assembly issue where a pin was broken off a cam sensor, leading to cam sensor related codes. And a third where the wiring harness itself was the culprit. None of these were programming related.

In fact I would venture to guess that many of the "on track" CELs are in fact wiring issues that have be confused with TracKey programming and/or track usage.

After I posted the exact circumstances to reproduce the issue, at least three people on this forum have been able to do the same on their cars. I think that many of the CELs discovered on the track likely would be be found using this method, also had the specific circumstances been discovered/outlined earlier.

Jimmy Pribble said:
cloud9 said:
Since my TPMS light, airbag light and AdvanceTrac off light are all illuminated, adding the CEL just fills in the row nicely ;)

Great. Maybe instead of the cool guys who run track map glyphs on their cars, we can get stickers of these and run them on our back windows instead. So proud. ;D

glyphs.jpg

Jimmy
LMAO!

zzyzx said:
PeteInCT said:

I don't think the keys have anything to do with these CELs at all. They only confuse the issue. We have two cases here of loose wiring/loose crank sensor and another where there was another assembly issue where a pin was broken off a cam sensor, leading to cam sensor related codes. And a third where the wiring harness itself was the culprit. None of these were programming related.

In fact I would venture to guess that many of the "on track" CELs are in fact wiring issues that have be confused with TracKey programming and/or track usage.

After I posted the exact circumstances to reproduce the issue, at least three people on this forum have been able to do the same on their cars. I think that many of the CELs discovered on the track likely would be be found using this method, also had the specific circumstances been discovered/outlined earlier.
I totally agree with pointing the finger at the wiring harnesses. I had a broken pin on a camshaft position sensor connector, a recurring "check charging system" warning and ultimately had my engine harness replaced. I was also told that the first vehicles out were stopped to have their engine wiring harnesses replaced due to a quality issue. Even after getting a new engine wiring harness I am still getting bogus "check charging system" errors and P0300 codes and CELs. I don't thing my wiring harness was an updated part number so I probably just got another poor quality replacement and unsurprisingly it's causing the same issues. The weird thing is these only occur under track conditions. The could be due to higher engine compartment heat levels or higher torque on the engine causing the harnesses to be "pulled" more.

Jimmy Pribble said:
cloud9 said:

glyphs.jpg

Jimmy

Put me in line for one (Bob White?).

It's been a while since I chimed in but I wanted to give an update as to where the resolution of my misfire issues is at.

Unfortunately, despite numerous tries I was unable to reproduce the codes with the 4000 RPM test.

Ford Customer Care was able to locate a dealer about 1 1/2 from my home (Nazareth Ford, Nazareth, PA) that was willing to take on the project. I took the car to the dealership last Monday, fresh off 3 days at NJMP where I expereinced the usual p0300, p0304 & p0307 codes nearly every run.

Although I had taken the car to other dealerships for the same problem, Nazareth Ford decided to start from the beginning. This was probably a good idea since there was little to no information recorded from the other dealers and what was actually done vs what I was told was done could not be determined. The following was done and is taken from the invoice:

Misfire monitor profile relearn proceedure
reprogram TK at 6000rpm - this supports the change in the procedure for TK installation

I believe as others do that the real problem with most of our cars is the wiring harness. Hence Ford's use of an uprgaded harness in the 302R. However, I am willing to go through the process now that I think I've found a dealer that I have confidence in.

On a different note, I had the rear end fluid and tranny fluid changed. The dealer recommended BG Products. The cost was not much more but the warranty is amazing. Using their products, they warranty everything up to $4000 regardless of whether you track your car or not. If they stand behind their product as they claim then I"d have to recommend that eveyone who track's their car look into it.

Just got back from the dealer after they finally did the misfire relearn. Was told FRPP told them to follow the instructins to the letter (4100 vs 6000), idk. All seems good so far after a 100+mi trip back home (went the long way).

Boss949 said:
It's been 10 days since the new sensor installed and redo on TracKey.

No issues; no CEL.

So far, so good.

Mine popped back up on a quick trip to the Grocery Store on Friday??? But this time, it was on a down-shift into 5th... However, the engine was still turning just over 4,000 RPM when I was cruising along the highway... Who knows???

zzyzx

Steve

UPDATE: No CELs since replacement of Crank Sensor. I cannot reproduce the CEL at this point. Keeping fingers crossed, but so far so good.

cloud9 said:
That's weird. I was getting a "check charging system" my last 3 sessions at BIR a couple weeks ago, but so far nothing street driving it for over 2 weeks. I didn't even bother taking it into the dealer since it won't replicate itself, but odds are it will show up in a couple weeks when I'm back on track. :-\
***Update***

I had the car in to repair the broken strut and asked the dealer to look into the "check charging system" warning I was getting on track. I had a hunch it may be heat related since it only showed up on track and then only after a few laps. I just got the following email from my dealer:

"He looked at the car for the "ck charging" issue... He found the wiring that goes to the alternator runs near the header, it had gotten hot, last time he put some wire loom casing around it, that got hot also so he repaired the wire and put heat tape around it this time, fyi, thanks."

I won't know for sure if this solved it until after the Mustang Roundup next weekend, but my guess is it will fix it. FRPP developed the upgraded steel clutch line for the same reason....the factory plastic line runs close to the headers and they were afraid it would melt it when they swapped out to full headers due to all the heat generated down there. It makes you wonder if excessive heat isn't causing all the other issues with the wiring harnesses causing the CELs too......

I suspect the ambient heat being part of the issue with my clutch fluid boiling. I haven't tried wrapping it yet, but that is my next attempt at fixing it.

UPDATE ~ Boss going back to my Local Ford Dealer on Monday (9/24)... Planning to leave it with them until they find a solution to my CEL & Misfire issues...

Flashing CEL & P0304 Misfire codes occurred 3x while driving (all around 4,000-4,200 PRM) over to the track (HPT in Topeka) yesterday with the Silver Key...

Only able to get about 10 mins into a track session with the Red Key before the CEL started flashing and going into Limp Mode...

After 3x shortened sessions at the track, I finally decided to head back home... ECU had stored the following codes: P0300, P0304 & P0307 when I took it into my local dealership this AM... Ironically, they are the EXACT same codes that occurred 2 months ago when I drove the car home after the entire engine assembly had been swapped out due to the spun rod bearing...

At this point, I am guessing it is either a bad crank sensor or something in the wiring harness was damaged during the engine swap, since I never had any misfire issues with the original engine... Nor did it ever throw any codes (on the street or the track) until after the engine swap...

PeteInCT

Connecticut

Very similar instance happened to me last week, 3 back-to-back CEL/Limp mode occurrences, although I only received either no code or a P0300 (both with CEL). Per Ford support they reflashed my PCM with an updated program. I am still trying to get confirmation if it's a full new PCM update or just the Crankshaft Sensor Relearn, or of they did both. Car runs fine driving home after the update but I won't know if it's truly fixed until I get it back on the track 9/29.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel