The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Plastic Idler and Tensioner Pulley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Hi Guys,

I have had plastic pulley on the tensioner fail in me whilst i was on the track and the idler pulley going the same way, it caused the drive belt to come off and engine to get really hot. You don't notice it happening as quickly as you would if you had a belt driven power steering and not electric. :ohdamn:
Has any one upgraded their plastic pulley to the metal ones on their 5.0 Coyotes? Or do i start to carry them as a spare part? Is the idler pulley the same size as the one on the tensioner does any one know?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Hi Guys,

I have had plastic pulley on the tensioner fail in me whilst i was on the track and the idler pulley going the same way, it caused the drive belt to come off and engine to get really hot. You don't notice it happening as quickly as you would if you had a belt driven power steering and not electric. :ohdamn:
Has any one upgraded their plastic pulley to the metal ones on their 5.0 Coyotes? Or do i start to carry them as a spare part? Is the idler pulley the same size as the one on the tensioner does any one know?
The Boss 302 alternator kit includes a new tensioner and idler, and both have metal pulleys. I mention this because the kit is a really good value with the alternator, tensioner, idler and serp belt - just not sure if the alternator is compatible for the 15 and newer cars. If not, I would check to see if the Boss had the metal pulleys spec’d as original and order the separate components.

The idler bearing started squealing on my original plastic pulley so I caught it prior to failure. I replaced it with a NAPA idler (Gates), which has a metal pulley.

TMO Supporting Vendors