The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Mar

Ponies in the Smokies March 18-23 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw loads of biznitch'n Mustangs on the way to Gatlinburg! We head home on Thursday, when are you guys getting here?
Nice opening, the Boss contingent was well represented at the Quaker Lube bar and parking lot under the bridge with the event logo and photo op. Driving events over the next couple days.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
We drove all over the Smokies and found some amazing roads including the drive over to Cherokee. The Dragon didn't have any "oversight" this time! It was great to meet you and I hope did well in the King of the Smokies challenge! I hope to come back next year and actually participate!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
There is a chance I can do this road this summer, just not sure it's worth the bother. I mean, it's a twisty rural two lane road through some nice hilly country, which is kind of like the back roads were I grew up. It seems to be heavily policed, not that I ever dink around on the street anyway, I save that kind of shiznit for the track.
This isn't going to be in my Mustang, it's going to be in my wife's C8 'vette with a bunch of other old guys in 'vettes who rarely ever hit the speed limit. So for sure the presence of cops is not going to be an issue. Given that it adds a couple of days to an already too long trip, I'm not real sure it's worth the effort?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
I would think twice before driving even a few hours out of my way for this road. It's fun and you don't have to rocket ship the limited straights, it's all about trying to maintain the 30mph speed limit in the hairpin corners and a lot of them are properly banked. It's definitely a fun road, but no race track. Some don't stay in their lane, many experienced bikers drag their knees which means some are dumb enough to let their head overlap the double yellow. Plenty of regular family cars on the road that don't use the pull outs and always a plethora of cool cars and bikes. It's become an iconic bucket list road for sure, super fun, but it has its ugly side. My wife took video and we were giving those Nitto 275's all they could handle, but it looked so slow rewstching the videos. I wasn't blasting it out of turns and still I had to use plenty of brakes and got the rears really hot (hello GT500 rotors!).

TMO Supporting Vendors