The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Prepping street Boss for the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to run 2-3 track events this year in my 13 Boss that I recently purchased. Car has only 8K miles so the stock brakes are in great shape as well as the tires. Installed P springs. FRPP LCA's and brackets and CC plates. Next is front splitter and tow hooks. I bought 18x10 wheels and some used slicks so I am covered there but don't know how to approach the brakes. I have no intention of upgrading the calipers so my plan was to call Track Day for Pagid pads, stainless lines and Motul brake fluid. Do I need new rotors as well? Cost starts to get pretty steep with high-end rotors but I know they are better on the track. Or do I just eat up cheaper stock rotors? Then I thought about ducting and the cost keeps climbing. For 2-3 events per year what are the must-haves?

Tulsa, OK
Brake "must-haves" for track days are:

-cooling ducts
-SS lines
-DOT4 fluid
-track pads (everyone will have their favorite)

As far as rotors, there are no issues with using cheap blank rotors, such as Centric brand. I use them and plenty of others who frequently track their cars use them as well. They work well and don't break the bank.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
+1 on the cooling ducts. You can track once a year for a 10 minute session and still overheat the brakes.

Blowfish Racing has a kit for the '13 cars.

The best/most cost efficient way to get a brake cooling kit would be to buy Ford Racing Brake Cooling kit M-2004-MB kit. This kit is actually for 2011-12 models. The kit that is for 2013-14 models has been discontinued; that part number is (the discontinued kit) is M-2004-MBA. The only difference between the kits is the fog light/brake duct opening that connects the hoses to the bumper. Once you get the M-2004-MB kit, you will need to source the 2013-2014 fog light bezels. The part number for those is DR3Z-17E810-BA ($23.14) for the right side and DR3Z-17E811-BA ($22.89) for the left side. The prices quoted for the left and right bezels is from http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com. No body beats them price wise for OEM ford parts. They also sell the M-2004-MB kit for $273.90. I would buy all three parts from them; even if you have to pay shipping, your going to be money ahead. After that you will need to source one more thing, the bezel backing plates.

I would buy these from Blowfish Racing https://www.blowfishracing.com/brake-cooling/95-2013-2014-brake-cooling-bezel-plate-set.html

They run $89.99. Ford does not sell these backing plates. With all of these parts, you will have a great set up that fits. This is what I would do. Hell, you could even sell the 2011-2012 bezels that come with the Ford Racing Kit to help you cover part of the cost. Just my opinion. Congrats on the Boss....
FWIW, I did a ton of research on this for myself since I was wanting to have spare parts on the shelf for my 2013 Laguna. I lucked out and was able to source the discontinued kit but is was costly. To me, this is the way to go. There are cheaper kits, but in my opinion, none of them are of comparative quality or bolt up without cutting into your car...
Good luck!!

El Taco Grande

I run the Pagid RST2's with a dedicated set of track only rotors in the front- I just bought oem Ford rotors , I think 85/90 or so each and have gone through 2 sets of the RST's in the front and the rotors while heat checked, have virtually no wear. I just throw the new set in and bed them in and everything works flawlessly. I highly recommend the Pagid fluid as well - really really good stuff. As for the rears, I run with TC off and actually the stock pads and rotors have held up fine, I'll swap to the 29's for the rear but will just clean up the rear rotors at that time and run them on the street. I wouldn't run track pads on your street rotors, they will chatter like a SOB and can waste both your pads and rotors -

I'd like to add that pads must match your tires, more or less. Ultimately, your tires do the stopping. High end pads like Hawk DTC 60s are good with slicks and super aggressive street tires, but an aggressive street pad would be better matched to summer tires. If you're switching to slicks for the track, switch to some track pads for the track. You'll have to bleed the lines before each event anyway. Keep them in the same company so you can use the same rotors.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
BigTaco said:
After that you will need to source one more thing, the bezel backing plates.

I would buy these from Blowfish Racing https://www.blowfishracing.com/brake-cooling/95-2013-2014-brake-cooling-bezel-plate-set.html

They run $89.99. Ford does not sell these backing plates. With all of these parts, you will have a great set up that fits. This is what I would do. Hell, you could even sell the 2011-2012 bezels that come with the Ford Racing

El Taco Grande

Hi El TG: I have a 12 Boss and noted that rotor backing plates are included in the FRPP Kit you mentioned. Is there a difference in the 12 to 13 Boss front brakes that will not allow the use of the backing plates included in the 2012 kit?

I was thinking they would fit on the 2013 Boss Brembo brake set up.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
302 Hi Pro said:
Hi El TG: I have a 12 Boss and noted that rotor backing plates are included in the FRPP Kit you mentioned. Is there a difference in the 12 to 13 Boss front brakes that will not allow the use of the backing plates included in the 2012 kit?

I was thinking they would fit on the 2013 Boss Brembo brake set up.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Bezel backing plates. For the grill end of the system.

HI All - a little late to this thread, but . . .

. . . the manual recommends removing the rear brake dust covers to improve brake cooling. Is there any downside to that (aside from, I assume, dirtier wheels)?

Bad Pony said:
HI All - a little late to this thread, but . . .

. . . the manual recommends removing the rear brake dust covers to improve brake cooling. Is there any downside to that (aside from, I assume, dirtier wheels)?
None.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TymeSlayer said:
I hope this doesn't degenerate down to "My stock parts pile is bigger than yours..."

Cause you *know* mine is bigger. ;) I have Boss parts from *other* Bosses too. Sadly, it's an addiction/sickness in itself. :-[

TMO Supporting Vendors