The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question about flashing PCM by Ford before loading a new tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just had a lot of work done to my car; Paxton 2200 SL, id1,000 injectors, new fuel system, and so on. Had everything put together, went to load the new tune with the SCT tuner, and once it was loaded it would not turn over and got the PATS "error" while trying to get it turned over.

My car already had the Track Key installed when I bought it and for whatever reason the "stock" tune that is on the car has the Track Key strategy instead of the stock strategy.

From what I have read and the guys helping out on the car are under the understanding that I just need to have Ford flash my PCM back to the stock tune, with the stock strategy.

Has anyone had this whoopsie, where you have all the work done and forgot to flash your PCM back to the stock strategy after having a Track key or am I just a moron? Furthermore, is that all that I need done is have Ford reflash it?

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
My understanding is that you should have been able to get a tune to work with the TracKey loaded. Or at least some people have. The tuner should just store whatever is in the PCM before loading the new tune, so it shouldn't matter.

Lookup some of the tuning issues with SCT on SVTP regarding the PATS problem. I'm sure you'll find some examples there of the possible fixes.

What evidence do you have that the TK tune was installed? Both the silver and red keys work with the stock tune so unless you see the TK message on your dash you do not have it installed. From my understanding it's impossible to have the TK tune on the silver key path because the red key has a different chip in it that only works with TK.

This is what both SCT and my tuner have told me. This is the picture of the stock strategy I have on "stock"which I was told is the TK strategy?azu3e4y6.jpg

I have no knowledge of SCT tuners or what caused your car to brick but I'm trying to eliminate the TK causing an issue for you. I doubt it's loaded on your car. All Boss 302's cane with red and silver keys stock so just because you have the red key does not mean you have TK. Many second owners have made that mistake. If your car has TK you'll have some or all of the following:

Receipt and paperwork
EO sticker
Message on the dash that states TK and lopey idle are active
Noticeable difference in sound when lopey idle is active
Launch control
Pit lane speed limiter

If you don't have these then you don't have TK

Yes, I have TK installed. I will know more once the dealership tries to reflash it. I appreciate the hejp

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
chadh1203 said:
Yes, I have TK installed. I will know more once the dealership tries to reflash it. I appreciate the hejp

Does your SCT have the most recent updates? Evidently there were a couple of critical updates that help prevent bricking of the ECU. Hope it's an easy fix...I'm just a couple of days away from removing Track Key and installing custom tunes from a new SCT X3.

Wayne

Senderofan

I read a thread on another forum where a guy bricked his ECU and could not reverse it....the guy there called SCT. Guess the folks at SCT were really great to work with and they helped to get him out of his jam. Might be worth giving SCT a call and see if there might be something they can walk you through....to get the problem fixed.

Wayne

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Senderofan said:
I read a thread on another forum where a guy bricked his ECU and could not reverse it....the guy there called SCT. Guess the folks at SCT were really great to work with and they helped to get him out of his jam. Might be worth giving SCT a call and see if there might be something they can walk you through....to get the problem fixed.

Wayne
+1

Yea I have the SCT4 version and went through all the firmware updates before trying to load my tune. After going to Ford today, the plugged my VIN into PTS and showed what my "built as" PCM codes were and determined that the strategy I have on my stock tune, the "FPFROD3" is the TracKey strategy and that I would have to reflash it back to the "built as" strategy or in simpler terms the stock tune minus the TK that was added later. After all the headache, it was determined that I should have reflashed my PCM before adding the new tune because of the TK.

And I was able to talk to SCT even as late as 7 at night, on a Friday nonetheless, and they were the ones who first believed that something having to do with the TK and the strategy it showed was causing my problems. Hoping tomorrow will be a better day and finally be able to get the car up and running.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Justin

I have a sct x3. Never had this problem. I have trackey on my boss. This is why I haven't jumped on a x4. Waiting for all the bugs to be worked out

Yea we had the trickle charger on it while we did everything. And the PCM took the tune fine and received no error messages or anything and read like it uploaded the tune "normally". After we couldn't get the custom tune to work we put the stock tune back in and it cranked up and quickly turned it off -obviously running like crap with all the add ons. The tuner, SCT, and the shop still believe it has to do with the need to flash it back to stock, thus removing the TK. But to make matters more confusing (as it wasn't confusing as is) I bought the entire set up (SC, injectors, fuel system, etc) from a guy I know who had it on his 2012 Boss and he never had to have the TK taken off as the tune loaded fine (on a SCTX3) with the same exact tune I am trying to load into my car....haha it's almost gotten funny at this point. Guess we will see if taking the TK off tomorrow and running the stock strategy works. I appreciate all the input and insight from you guys.

Yes, the custom tune for the setup he had that I now have in my car.

Justin

chadh1203 said:
Yes, the custom tune for the setup he had that I now have in my car.

the exact same tune? computers should have different four digit codes. tune built for a 13 shouldnt work on a 12....

Yea the tuner switched it to the DZ??something code while the 12's have the KB?? something codes...so I was told

Senderofan

I'm wondering if it might be something with the X4?? I've read several reports of guys tuning that also have track key...and like Justin...they have an X3. I informed Shaun at AED that I had track key installed before I ordered up my X3 and custom tunes....he never mentioned any possibility of running into a roadblock. Guess I'll find out tomorrow...but I'm wondering if there is a software conflict with the new tuner?

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel