The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rev match intermittent failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Gilbert SC
I have a 2019 GT that has rev match and it has failed to work several times lately at the worst time. Unfortunately since it rev matches and I have had this car since I was only 6 track days deep in 2019, I have never learned how to heal toe the car. I know the right answer is I should learn that and not rely on the rev match but we are now 8500 miles deep into track events so before reinventing the way I drive I will just swap in a DCT transmission from a BMW and paddle shift the car. For now though I would like to get some confidence in the factory rev match system. I have had an issue with this in the past where the computer shut off the rev match once the car was over temp. Since that seamed more dangerous for the car to not rev match and slide in a big brake / downshift zone I programmed the computer to not limit rpm on the first 2 stages of over temp, and it solved the issue for about a year without issue, then while at AMP I had a fuel starvation issue and the check engine light that would cause, would at the same time shut off the rev match. I figured that out pretty quick and just kept the car topped of for the rest of the weekend without issue. But now both at the end of the long straight at road Atlanta, and CMP it had some sporadic issues of not working. It is really unsettling to expect it to rev match and then when it does not you get a pretty violent slide as the rear wheels get locked up until the engine gets up to speed. The question in all this is does anyone know other things the computer will cut this feature for?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Gilbert SC
Jdee I belive you for sure, and on a few open track days have cut off rev match and tried to learn heel toe but for some reason I can not get it. When my dad taught me to drive he was hardcore about right foot for gas or brake (not both at the same time) and left foot for clutch only if applicable and if not it sits on the floor. I can not brake this habit and I know it would make me faster if I would.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Gilbert SC
Biggsy that may be the best way around the issue since it would be an independent system controlling it, that system would not care if the engine was on fire, it should still try to blip the throttle.

Bay Area
You need to raise your pedal height. Just put some spacers on the back of the pedal to bring it closer to the brake. Then Heel / Toe will be extremely easy in the GT350. The way the car is set up now, you have to roll your ankle over too far and it makes it difficult.

@Nbjeeptj You can do this. Most important thing by far: Keep your right heel planted on the floor.

I'm no pro driver but I was lucky to be taught heel toe a lot of years ago by an instructor who knew the right way to do it. The biggest problem with learning heel toe is it's a misnomer. People struggle to master hitting the brake with their toe and the gas with their heel while their whole foot is suspended in the air. It can be done that way, and there are videos of racers doing this, but it is really hard to do because your foot isn't braced on anything and you have no fine control. Your inputs on both the brake and the gas are really awkward. The far easier and better way is to plant your right heel on the floor. Left side of your right foot goes on the brake, right side of your foot goes on the gas. Lock your ankle as if it's in a ski boot and think of moving your right knee towards the center console while your ankle is locked. The right side of your right foot will automatically follow and roll onto the gas without even thinking about it and you are now doing heel toe.

Once you understand what you are trying to practice, this isn't very hard. It's far easier and more effective than all the time people spend fighting software and setup glitches with these auto blip devices. Start with the car in neutral and sitting stationary, just gently rolling onto the gas while the left side of your right foot is pressing on the brake. Practice on the street and it will be easy on the track, because you are usually pushing harder on the brake pedal on track and the pedals will be more aligned. Mustang pedals are well suited for easy heel toe.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Biggsy that may be the best way around the issue since it would be an independent system controlling it, that system would not care if the engine was on fire, it should still try to blip the throttle.
Yup. I haven’t had any issues. The only issue I had with it is when my master cylinder was failing causing a dead pedal. Having a dead pedal prevents the switch from triggering. After a few laps when the pedal would return to normal position it worked fine. An issue like that you will know before you leave the pits.

TMO Supporting Vendors