The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby GT350 Build..."HAN SOLO"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krt22 said:
The R hubs no good?
They're fine but I want the ARP studs only to replace the 1/2" ones I have.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Quick update. I had the good fortune of getting invited by the Eurosunday group to show the car at the Sacramento International Auto Show this weekend at Cal Expo. It is a big yearly show in Sacramento at our exposition center. Here are a few quick shots of the pics I took during the drop off and staging today. There are a lot of nice cars out this year and it was nice getting to see them all getting staged and setup.

Raging%20Shelby%202.jpg
Raging%20Shelby.jpg
Auto%20Show.jpg

The Car looks great as always, T! Must be a great feeling to get to show off all the hard earned mods you've done to the car! Looks like she's staged properly with some of the best in Mustang history. Job well done, brother!

By the way, the wheels look bronze in those pictures...I kind of dig the bronze on white look 8)

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
302BOB said:
GOLDEN!!!!.. ;)
Agreed!
Sydewaysix said:
The Car looks great as always, T! Must be a great feeling to get to show off all the hard earned mods you've done to the car! Looks like she's staged properly with some of the best in Mustang history. Job well done, brother!

By the way, the wheels look bronze in those pictures...I kind of dig the bronze on white look 8)
It does feel good to have her on display. Just wish I could see some of the pics people snap. I do agree on the bronze wheels. I had half a kindness to run different colors on each side, but I don't think the mustang community is ready for that yet

50Deep said:
It does feel good to have her on display. Just wish I could see some of the pics people snap. I do agree on the bronze wheels. I had half a kindness to run different colors on each side, but I don't think the mustang community is ready for that yet

Not too sure about the different color wheels one each side of the car, but I've never seen it myself so who knows haha! It'd be difficult to make that car look bad, so if you do decide to move forward with this idea, I'd love to see it!

The bronze seems fitting on your car as it ties in well with the blue stripes, I'm just not sure how it'd look on a white/black Boss. The tone of bronze would also make a huge difference in final appearance. Ideas, decisions, no money. Lol!

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
All this talk about recalls got you down? Here are a few recent pics to brighten the day.

Wheel%20Wednesday%201%20of%201.jpg

Sugar%20Shelby.jpg

Sugar%20Shelby%20Front.jpg

If you are local to Sacramento and looking for a photo shoot opportunity let me know. No discrimination on make/model, just needs to be clean.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Well I have decided that I want to chase and eventually beat @VoodooBOSS around a track at some point in this lifetime. I went ahead and ordered the Track pack transmission and cooler setup for my car.
Placed the order with Mike R from Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake. He has always taken care of me and took care of the whole approval process with Ford Performance. It appears they will only sell the track package transmission to owners of tech/base cars after verifying the vin and owner information

$2700 shipped for the transmission
$495 shipped for the cooling components
--------
$3195 total

Looking forward to track and auto cross events next year. Just need to find time for the install considering I still haven't installed Tob's brake caliper studs lol. Plan is to take a day or two off work and get it done along with the install of the MGW shutter and Shelby American transmission scoop. If any local guys want to come turn a wrench and have some beers once it's go time let me know. I will also be selling my stock transmission which should be great for a kit car, resto-mod, or coyote based S550

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Well, 2016 has definitely been a good year for my family and I. Very fortunate to have been able to purchase my dream car, and make a lot of good friends in the process. 2017 looks promising with some new modifications coming for the car as well. I hope all of you have a happy new year, and may the road ahead be as good or better than the one you came in on.

Cheers

Sugar%20Shelby%201%20of%201-4.jpg
Sugar%20Shelby%201%20of%201-5.jpg
Sugar%20Shelby%201%20of%201-3.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Well look what I found waiting for me on my doorstep. shiznit just got real after the long wait. Dealing with a sick 10 month old so no real time to dig into anything. When I get to unboxing I will detail it all in my build thread. Hoping to have it all installed by Valentine's Day. Then get some track day action come spring. My understanding is this is the first kit ever shipped to a customer. Many complained but I am still saying Thanks Ford Performance.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
ArizonaBOSS said:
Ahhh, so they ARE real!

Yes, The unicorn exists

Well then,

The Track/R Transmission components are here. I finally got my son to sleep long enough to open up the packages and check out the contents. Poor little guy was sick, but is on the path to recovery.

It looks like all the necessary hardware and lines are included, and packaged up well to withstand the ride on the pallet. No step by step instructions, but if you have ever done a clutch job then the removal and replacement should be easy enough. @Epiphany was kind enough to send me the removal/install info from his Helm CD. That guys generosity knows no bounds, and is a definite asset to the community. The install will be done by me, on my back, in the garage. I will document as best I can and hopefully have the help of @straightliner1 and a few other local guys when it comes time to bench press the transmission in.

If it is being shipped to your home the delivery company they will drop it wherever you need. The transmission is not as heavy as I thought, and I was able to drag it into the garage solo cholo. Last component to order will be one of the works of art from George @MGW. Anyway, on to the pics.

DSC_0621.jpg
DSC_0622.jpg
DSC_0624.jpg
DSC_0626.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
No need for the trans scoop...I've done 30 minute sessions and the transmission doesn't even come close to overheating. If I remember right it barely gets to 200 degrees. Good luck with the install

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Last night I got a little carried away. Had the house to myself and idle hands are the Shelby's playground. Plus I have having parts laying around the garage that I have not installed. I decided to tackle the Caliperfexion brake caliper studs from @Epiphany, Transmission scoop from Shelby American, and to start the transmission cooler install. To tell you the truth I got a lot further than I expected. Anyway, onto the data....
First off removing the 6GR wheels was relatively easy. I have seen several threads about the lug nut holes being too small for most sockets. I found that my 3/4 in socket wrapped in electrical tape to prevent scratching worked just fine and fit the holes perfectly. My guess is people run into issues when using an impact socket?

DSC_0645_zpsjelaoply.jpg

The Caliperfexion studs are a great piece and well worth the investment Install was easy enough and very straight forward. At the time I got the kit it did not include the T60 torx bit needed to remove the OEM brake caliper bolts, but now @Epiphany has gone a step up and started to include them in the setup. Purchasing from him will get you everything you need to get these studs on the car.

]DSC_0646_zpsj4mcittd.jpg
DSC_0652_zpshtqsbzsa.jpg
Removal of the stock caliper bolts takes a little muscle given all the loc-tite from the factory. It is IMPERATIVE you clean out the threads of the knuckle before installing the new studs. These pictures do not do justice to the amount of loc-tite residue and metal shavings that are in there. I have only had my calipers off once for the R swap. There was a bunch of aluminum that came out from the knuckle. Every time you do a brake pad change and have to remove/install that bolt into the knuckle you will be damaging those threads. I used a wire brush to get it clean and then hit it with some compressed air as instructed. It was not until now that I really appreciated how useful the studs will be in efficiency and protecting the aluminum knuckle.

DSC_0651_zpss3xzi60c.jpg
DSC_0650_zpsdzud7yog.jpg
DSC_0653_zpsiutnzcth.jpg
DSC_0655_zps5er94p8f.jpg

Once I let the loc-tite cure for about 25 minutes I placed some anti-seize on the collar of the stud as instructed, then reinstalled them. I had some APR assembly lube lying around so I applied that and torqued it down to 80ft/lbs. Definitely a good upgrade and @Tob was available for any random questions I had which was great.

DSC_0660_zpsdwxnw5c6.jpg
DSC_0690_zps8sz0oesa.jpg
DSC_0686_zps6bdcgnin.jpg

I kept the ball rolling and got the transmission scoop in as well. This one was easy with only 4 attachment points. They all line up with the holes on the transmission so it is east to get on. Hardest part are the rear two bolts that will require a swivel and an extension to make it easy. I did notice a spot on the passenger side where the scoop was just barely contacting the transmission casing. I placed some material in-between the two to prevent a possible rubbing/rattling issue.

DSC_0691_zpsvi8ap1rd.jpg

Last but not least I started on the transmission cooler swap. My goal was to get the transmission cooler plumbed and in, So when it came time to drop the transmission we would be ready to go. I was able to accomplish that goal without much fuss, and will go into detail about it when I do a writeup for the install. For now here is a little picture of what should be behind the passenger side bumper on the tech package.

DSC_0667_zpsdqpqlbba.jpg
DSC_0677_zpshaknrmdg.jpg
DSC_0683_zpscctnwn4h.jpg

A few items coming in from ZL1 Addons, and still finishing up some work on the trunk. Lots to do before Knotts in April

50Deep said:
I found that my 3/4 in socket wrapped in electrical tape to prevent scratching worked just fine and fit the holes perfectly. My guess is people run into issues when using an impact socket?
T you've been busy! The issue some of us are having with clearance in the lug holes is with full size 13/16" lug nuts. The smaller 3/4" should have plenty of clearance.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel